Cryptic Documentation under ":h python-dynamic"

Cryptic Documentation under ":h python-dynamic"

jrfranklin
Hey Everyone,

I've been switching to using Vim8.0 on Windows at work.  Since UltiSnips requires Python, I installed Python 3.6.  The process led me to arrive at the relevant documentation, which states:

----------

MS-Windows ~

To use the Python interface the Python DLL must be in your search path.  In a
console window type "path" to see what directories are used.  The 'pythondll'
or 'pythonthreedll' option can be also used to specify the Python DLL.

The name of the DLL must match the Python version Vim was compiled with.
Currently the name is "python24.dll".  That is for Python 2.4.  To know for
sure edit "gvim.exe" and search for "python\d*.dll\c".

----------

I find the second paragraph confusing.  Does this mean that only python 2.4 can be used?  For example, can I change the pythonthreedll setting to be python36.dll?  If not, why even have a setting for the DLL name?

Thanks,
Jason

Re: Cryptic Documentation under ":h python-dynamic"

jrfranklin
I thought I would clarify my post to summarize with the following two questions:

(1) Can I only use the version of Python matching the name of the DLL that Vim was compiled with?

(2) I have used pythonthreedll=python36.dll as my setting with no problem, even though the value that Vim was compiled with was python35.dll.  Should I expect problems in the future?

Thanks!
Jason

Re: Cryptic Documentation under ":h python-dynamic"

Bram Moolenaar

Jason Franklin wrote:

> I thought I would clarify my post to summarize with the following two
> questions:
>
> (1) Can I only use the version of Python matching the name of the DLL
> that Vim was compiled with?
>
> (2) I have used pythonthreedll=python36.dll as my setting with no
> problem, even though the value that Vim was compiled with was
> python35.dll.  Should I expect problems in the future?

We can't guarantee that the interface of the DLL has not changed.
Hopefully a higher version is backwards compatible.

if you run the tests and they pass it's probably OK.

--
Scientists decoded the first message from an alien civilization:
        SIMPLY SEND 6 TIMES 10 TO THE 50 ATOMS OF HYDROGEN TO THE STAR