Quantcast

Cursor become invisible.

Dmitry B. Bigunayk

Hello!
I have one problem with my gvim 7.2 on gentoo amd64.
The cursor become invisible when I open any file in new tab from
taglist plugin. Maybe this is problem in taglist plugin but I found
that some people have the same problem when they are vertical
splitting window. To make cursor visible again I can resize window
with mouse or execute any command with :! and cursor appears.
Has anybody problem like me?

Re: Cursor become invisible.

Michael Henry-5

Alien wrote:
>  Hello!
>  I have one problem with my gvim 7.2 on gentoo amd64.
>  The cursor become invisible when I open any file in new tab from
>  taglist plugin. Maybe this is problem in taglist plugin but I found
>  that some people have the same problem when they are vertical
>  splitting window. To make cursor visible again I can resize window
>  with mouse or execute any command with :! and cursor appears.
>  Has anybody problem like me?

I have seen this problem, but have not yet reported it as a bug because
I haven't got much information to go on.  At work on my Fedora 7 machine
with a self-compiled Vim 7.2.25, I see this problem when I run ``gvim -u
NONE``, then set guifont to some font (it doesn't seem to matter which
one), then create and immediately close a vertical split window (CTRL-W
CTRL-V CTRL-W CTRL-O).  The cursor may be restored in any of several
ways, such as re-splitting the window.  As a work-around, I've mapped
CTRL-L to a function that does ``let &guifont=&guifont``, which also
seems to restore the missing cursor.  When I use the same Vim source
code (7.2 with patches 1-25), I have no problem on my Ubuntu Hardy Heron
machine at home, which is why I'm unsure what kind of bug this might
be.  If I leave guifont empty, the problem doesn't occur on the Fedora
machine.  I'd been hoping to do some more digging before reporting this
problem because it seems unusual, but I won't have access to my Fedora 7
machine until 2009 (I'm on vacation :-)).

Michael Henry

Re: Cursor become invisible.

Dmitry B. Bigunayk

Hello, Michael.
Thanks for your ``let &guifont=&guifont`` suggestion, it's work :)
If I leave guifont empty I still have this problem.
I read forum http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=58308 Some
people there think that this behavior depends in some way on the
window manager used (I use kde 3.5.9). Very strange...

Re: Cursor become invisible.

Tony Mechelynck

On 24/11/08 09:43, Alien wrote:
> Hello, Michael.
> Thanks for your ``let&guifont=&guifont`` suggestion, it's work :)
> If I leave guifont empty I still have this problem.
> I read forum http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=58308 Some
> people there think that this behavior depends in some way on the
> window manager used (I use kde 3.5.9). Very strange...

Hm. I use KDE 3.5.10 release 20.1, but what influence should that have
on a gvim with Gnome2 GUI? (KDE GUI has been retired some time ago,
6.2.something I think).

Re: Cursor become invisible.

Michael Henry-5

Tony Mechelynck wrote:

> On 24/11/08 09:43, Alien wrote:
>
>> Hello, Michael.
>> Thanks for your ``let&guifont=&guifont`` suggestion, it's work :)
>> If I leave guifont empty I still have this problem.
>> I read forum http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=58308 Some
>> people there think that this behavior depends in some way on the
>> window manager used (I use kde 3.5.9). Very strange...
>>

> Hm. I use KDE 3.5.10 release 20.1, but what influence should that have
> on a gvim with Gnome2 GUI? (KDE GUI has been retired some time ago,
> 6.2.something I think).

That's interesting.  On my Fedora 7 box, leaving guifont empty prevents
the problem.  But perhaps it's related to the particular font being
used, such that my default font is OK but Alien's font still has the
problem.  I didn't try all possible fonts on my box to see if that's
related.  Still, there must be more to it than that because I like to
use "Bitstream Vera Sans Mono 9" as the font on both Ubuntu and Fedora,
yet I have the problem only on Fedora.  I'm running KDE 3.5.x on both
boxes (3.5.10 on Ubuntu Hardy Heron; not sure on Fedora 7, as I can't
access that box until January).\

Also, from the link Alien provided there is this set of experimental
results:

Gvim vsplit bug occurs on:
openbox
awesome
fluxbox
kde 4.1

Gvim vsplit does not occurs on:
Gnome 2.24 guess
xfce xfce 4.4.2

So, as Tony suggests, it doesn't seem to be influenced much by choice of
window manager.

I found it interesting that some Fedora 5 users were having the problem
as well.  It seemed they were all using Vim 7.2.25 or thereabouts.

It would probably be enlightening to see if Vim 7.2.0 or earlier have
this problem; if not, we could binary search our way to a diff in Vim
that brings about the behavior.

Michael Henry

Re: Cursor become invisible.

Benjamin Sergeant
This problem appeared in 7.2 I believe. I ran 7.0 for a while and when I upgraded my Mandriva box (same problem on a debian sid) this problem appeared.

Please not that I have the problem with KDE-4.1 but not with KDE-3.5.10 (or 9, but very recent).
Doing an xprop on both windows might help ?

Maybe it's a driver problem .. my machine with an NVidia (KDE 3.5) does not have the problem but the machine with an ATI card has it (4.1) ... real strange...