Cursor setup in plain linux console

David Woodfall
Does anyone have any settings for the cursor in the plain linux
console (with/without screen)?

I ask because I've set a custom cursor in the console using a control
code: printf '\e[?3c', but vim always resets it back to the standard
thin underscore, which is very difficult to see.

I can set the cursor by setting term to 'ansi' and issuing a similar
code to change the cursor to a block when vim starts, but I've not
managed yet to set any cursors for the following editing modes:

&t_ti
&t_te
&t_SI
&t_SR
&t_EI

--
Dave

Help fight continental drift.

                                                            .--.  oo
                                                           (____)//
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~'

Re: Cursor setup in plain linux console

David Woodfall
On Friday 12 October 2018 06:44,
Dave Woodfall <[hidden email]> put forth the proposition:

> Does anyone have any settings for the cursor in the plain linux
> console (with/without screen)?
>
> I ask because I've set a custom cursor in the console using a control
> code: printf '\e[?3c', but vim always resets it back to the standard
> thin underscore, which is very difficult to see.
>
> I can set the cursor by setting term to 'ansi' and issuing a similar
> code to change the cursor to a block when vim starts, but I've not
> managed yet to set any cursors for the following editing modes:
>
> &t_ti
> &t_te
> &t_SI
> &t_SR
> &t_EI

I've been testing a lot more with various term settings and ansi
works fine except that the console isn't restored after :quitting.

It looks like my vim isn't using the altscreen with ansi. Is there a
way of getting both to work together?

I've tried setting t_ti and t_te to the codes that they show when
altscreen is used, but it made no difference.

--
Dave

The First Commandment for Technicians:
  Beware the lightening that lurketh in the undischarged
capacitor, lest it cause thee to bounce upon thy buttocks in a most
untechnician-like manner.

Re: Cursor setup in plain linux console

David Woodfall
On Sunday 14 October 2018 15:50,
Dave Woodfall <[hidden email]> put forth the proposition:

> On Friday 12 October 2018 06:44,
> Dave Woodfall <[hidden email]> put forth the proposition:
> > Does anyone have any settings for the cursor in the plain linux
> > console (with/without screen)?
> >
> > I ask because I've set a custom cursor in the console using a control
> > code: printf '\e[?3c', but vim always resets it back to the standard
> > thin underscore, which is very difficult to see.
> >
> > I can set the cursor by setting term to 'ansi' and issuing a similar
> > code to change the cursor to a block when vim starts, but I've not
> > managed yet to set any cursors for the following editing modes:
> >
> > &t_ti
> > &t_te
> > &t_SI
> > &t_SR
> > &t_EI
>
> I've been testing a lot more with various term settings and ansi
> works fine except that the console isn't restored after :quitting.
>
> It looks like my vim isn't using the altscreen with ansi. Is there a
> way of getting both to work together?
>
> I've tried setting t_ti and t_te to the codes that they show when
> altscreen is used, but it made no difference.

Found a solution finally.

I noted what t_ti and t_te were set to and both printed them in the
shell and used them in vim, then set TERM to ansi in the shell
beforehand. It didn't work properly when I set term=ansi in vim for
some reason.

Vim:

let &t_ti="\e[?1049h"
let &t_te="\e[?1049l"
silent ! printf '\eP\e[?6c\e\\'

vim() {
  printf "\e[?1049h"
  TERM=ansi /usr/bin/vim $@ +"normal zv"
  printf "\e[?1049l"
  printf "\eP\e[?3c\e\\"
}

The extra \eP prefix and \e\\ suffix is extra escaping for screen.

It's long winded solution, but it seems to work.

--
Dave

I still maintain the point that designing a monolithic kernel in 1991 is a
fundamental error.  Be thankful you are not my student.  You would not get a
high grade for such a design :-)
  -- Andrew Tanenbaum to Linus Torvalds