Darkroom and vi

Mubed

I found couple of months ago a program called Darkroom (http://
they.misled.us/dark-room). Well it is the Windows Editor, which has a
Darkroom look and a very very cool feature I realy love: You can
switch it to fullscreen mode and have this semitransparent on your
desktop. This gives me a feeling of a console on top of Windows! Well
as this tool has almost no functionality I wanted to know if it is
possible to have vim look like that. I already found a colorscheme
named "Darkroom" and a plugin called WinFullScreen. The colorscheme is
OK, but the fullscreen plugin doesn't realy work and still it is not
semitransparent. Is there any chance to do that? I'm new with vim and
need a soldier proof description.

Re: Darkroom and vi

Javier Rojas-4

http://diveintomark.org/archives/2007/01/21/wrongroom

--
Javier Rojas

GPG Key ID: 0xA1C57061

Re: Darkroom and vi

François Ingelrest

On Fri, Jan 30, 2009 at 05:25, Javier Rojas wrote:
> http://diveintomark.org/archives/2007/01/21/wrongroom

"If you put 7 of the most talented OSS developers in a room for a week
and asked them to fix a bug in a spreadsheet program, in 1 week you'd
have 2 new mail readers, and a text-based web browser."

Sorry for this OT, but that's so true :-)

Re: Darkroom and vi

François Ingelrest

On Fri, Jan 30, 2009 at 07:44, François Ingelrest wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 30, 2009 at 05:25, Javier Rojas wrote:
>> http://diveintomark.org/archives/2007/01/21/wrongroom
>
> "If you put 7 of the most talented OSS developers in a room for a week
> and asked them to fix a bug in a spreadsheet program, in 1 week you'd
> have 2 new mail readers, and a text-based web browser."
>
> Sorry for this OT, but that's so true :-)

Besides this, I also did not understand the interest of these editors
when they came out. If you want to focus on your text, well, don't
start your e-mail program, don't start your chat program, or don't
even connect to the Internet... and that's it.

Re: Darkroom and vi

bill lam

On Fri, 30 Jan 2009, François Ingelrest wrote:
> "If you put 7 of the most talented OSS developers in a room for a week
> and asked them to fix a bug in a spreadsheet program, in 1 week you'd
> have 2 new mail readers, and a text-based web browser."
>
> Sorry for this OT, but that's so true :-)

Sorry for OT, but I use w3m a text web browser as my default browser,
Only for those sites that need javascript,  I switch to firefox.

--
regards,
GPG key 1024D/4434BAB3 2008-08-24

Re: Darkroom and vi

François Ingelrest

On Fri, Jan 30, 2009 at 10:36, bill lam wrote:
>> "If you put 7 of the most talented OSS developers in a room for a week
>> and asked them to fix a bug in a spreadsheet program, in 1 week you'd
>> have 2 new mail readers, and a text-based web browser."
>>
>> Sorry for this OT, but that's so true :-)
>
> Sorry for OT, but I use w3m a text web browser as my default browser,
> Only for those sites that need javascript,  I switch to firefox.

Well, the point was not to criticize text-based web browser, but
rather the fact that people always re-invent the wheel, especially OSS
devs ;-) I can laugh at that, since I consider myself part of these
"I'll do my own" guys.

Cheers,

Re: Darkroom and vi

Tom Link-3

> Sorry for OT, but I use w3m a text web browser as my default browser,
> Only for those sites that need javascript,  I switch to firefox.

IIRC links has javascript support. I personally prefer how w3m renders
webpages though.

Re: Darkroom and vi

panshizhu

Mubed 写道:
> The colorscheme is
> OK, but the fullscreen plugin doesn't realy work and still it is not
> semitransparent. Is there any chance to do that? I'm new with vim and
> need a soldier proof description.

I suppose compiz could do that? simply put gvim in fullscreen mode and
then change the transparency of gvim window. both can be set in
compizconfig-settings-manager. You can also do that for you
terminal-emulator for console vim.

Re: Darkroom and vi

Mubed

Thank you all for your "GREAT" help!! I finally was forced to learn a
little about VIM scripting and write the scripts myself (or better:
put them together from what I found). So here are the results if
someone googles this topic later:

** NOTE: these scripts need wimtweak.dll (http://www.vim.org/scripts/
script.php?script_id=687) **

darkroom.vim
-------------------
 call libcallnr("vimtweak.dll", "SetAlpha", 210)
 set go& go-=m go-=T go-=r stal&
 call libcallnr("vimtweak.dll", "EnableMaximize", 1)
 call libcallnr("vimtweak.dll", "EnableCaption", 0)
 call libcallnr("vimtweak.dll", "EnableTopMost", 1)
 map <special> <F12> :ru undarkroom.vim<CR>

undarkroom.vim
-----------------------
 call libcallnr("vimtweak.dll", "SetAlpha", 255)
 set go& stal&
 call libcallnr("vimtweak.dll", "EnableMaximize", 0)
 call libcallnr("vimtweak.dll", "EnableCaption", 1)
 call libcallnr("vimtweak.dll", "EnableTopMost", 0)
 map <special> <F12> :ru darkroom.vim<CR>

The F12 key is used to switch between fullscreen and window mode. The
scripts are placed in the main folder, where gvim is located.
Following line must be added to _vimrc to map F12 for first use:

 :map <special> <F12> :ru darkroom.vim<CR>

Re: Darkroom and vi

Tim Chase

> ** NOTE: these scripts need wimtweak.dll (http://www.vim.org/scripts/
> script.php?script_id=687) **
>
> darkroom.vim
> -------------------
>  call libcallnr("vimtweak.dll", "SetAlpha", 210)
>  set go& go-=m go-=T go-=r stal&
>  call libcallnr("vimtweak.dll", "EnableMaximize", 1)
>  call libcallnr("vimtweak.dll", "EnableCaption", 0)
>  call libcallnr("vimtweak.dll", "EnableTopMost", 1)
>  map <special> <F12> :ru undarkroom.vim<CR>
[snip]
> The F12 key is used to switch between fullscreen and window mode. The
> scripts are placed in the main folder, where gvim is located.
> Following line must be added to _vimrc to map F12 for first use:
>
>  :map <special> <F12> :ru darkroom.vim<CR>

Nice to see these sorts of options on what I presume is the Win32
platform (as guessed by the .dll rather than .so ending).  On my
Linux boxes, I just use (non-g)vim in a console window -- my
window manager (fluxbox) can control transparency,
window-dressing (currently super+F12), maximization (currently
super+X), and layer (currently super+pgup/pgdn).  So I can do
this with any window I want, not just vim :)

Re: Darkroom and vi

Mubed

Yes, Windows :( I'm locked inside a Win32-system at work and can't use
all those things you can apply on the windows, if I where at home in
my Ubuntu Linux. I think Vista or W7 have some more controls on the
appearance of the windows, but I must live here with XP for the
moment.

On Feb 3, 9:54 am, Tim Chase <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > ** NOTE: these scripts need wimtweak.dll (http://www.vim.org/scripts/
> > script.php?script_id=687) **
>
> > darkroom.vim
> > -------------------
> >  call libcallnr("vimtweak.dll", "SetAlpha", 210)
> >  set go& go-=m go-=T go-=r stal&
> >  call libcallnr("vimtweak.dll", "EnableMaximize", 1)
> >  call libcallnr("vimtweak.dll", "EnableCaption", 0)
> >  call libcallnr("vimtweak.dll", "EnableTopMost", 1)
> >  map <special> <F12> :ru undarkroom.vim<CR>
> [snip]
> > The F12 key is used to switch betweenfullscreenand window mode. The
> > scripts are placed in the main folder, where gvim is located.
> > Following line must be added to _vimrc to map F12 for first use:
>
> >  :map <special> <F12> :ru darkroom.vim<CR>
>
> Nice to see these sorts of options on what I presume is the Win32
> platform (as guessed by the .dll rather than .so ending).  On my
> Linux boxes, I just use (non-g)vimin a console window -- my
> window manager (fluxbox) can control transparency,
> window-dressing (currently super+F12), maximization (currently
> super+X), and layer (currently super+pgup/pgdn).  So I can do
> this with any window I want, not justvim:)
>
> -tim

Re: Darkroom and vi

MarcWeber

Hi Mubed

if it happens to you using vista one day install niftywindows. It can change
transparency and has a lot more useful features.

On XP it only supports making one color transparent which is probably
not what you want..

Sincerly
Marc Weber

Re: Darkroom and vi

StarWing

i had add something in my vimrc:
" s:dark_room {{{3

function! s:dark_room()
    if !exists('g:go_save')
        let g:go_save = &go
        " call libcallnr("vimtweak.dll", "SetAlpha", 210)
        set go& go-=m go-=T go-=r stal&
        call libcallnr("vimtweak.dll", "EnableMaximize", 1)
        call libcallnr("vimtweak.dll", "EnableCaption", 0)
        call libcallnr("vimtweak.dll", "EnableTopMost", 1)
    else
        let &go = g:go_save
        unlet g:go_save
        " call libcallnr("vimtweak.dll", "SetAlpha", 255)
        call libcallnr("vimtweak.dll", "EnableMaximize", 0)
        call libcallnr("vimtweak.dll", "EnableCaption", 1)
        call libcallnr("vimtweak.dll", "EnableTopMost", 0)
    endif
endfunction

" }}}3

command! Darkroom call s:dark_room()

and it works well :)

On 2月3日, 下午6时05分, Marc Weber <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Mubed
>
> if it happens to you using vista one day install niftywindows. It can change
> transparency and has a lot more useful features.
>
> On XP it only supports making one color transparent which is probably
> not what you want..
>
> Sincerly
> Marc Weber

Re: Darkroom and vi

Mubed

Thanks StarWing for introducing the professional way of my qick and
dirty solution. I actually added later 2 lines to store the current
gui options and curretn coloreschem in an environment variable, but
didn't post it again. Your way of using a function has the advantage
that you can use global viables.

An unpleasant effect of using vimtweak.dll is that it is slow. I
wonder if someone knows a way, how we can do this "fullscreening"
smoothly, without all these flutters of windows!