Debugging my config: filetype is set wrongly...

Debugging my config: filetype is set wrongly...

tuxic
Hi,

is there any way to pinpoint the line, which is "guilty" for
setting a wrong filetyoe somehow?

Background:
Currently I am editing troff files a lot. The extension of that files
are *.mm. *.me, *.tmac, *.ms and so on...depending on what troff macro
package will be used.

Everything works fine...except for the *.mm files. In case of reading
such a file, the filetyoe is set to "xml"...which is slightly wrong.
:)

By using an empty .vimrc I know, that the problem is somewhere inside
my original .vimrc.
Grepping for the usual suspect doesn't show anything obvious, though.

Is there any way to pinpoint the code in my vimrc, which triggers the
problem...?

Cheers!
mcc

Re: Debugging my config: filetype is set wrongly...

Gary Johnson-4
On 2021-02-15, tuxic wrote:

> Hi,
>
> is there any way to pinpoint the line, which is "guilty" for
> setting a wrong filetyoe somehow?
>
> Background:
> Currently I am editing troff files a lot. The extension of that files
> are *.mm. *.me, *.tmac, *.ms and so on...depending on what troff macro
> package will be used.
>
> Everything works fine...except for the *.mm files. In case of reading
> such a file, the filetyoe is set to "xml"...which is slightly wrong.
> :)
>
> By using an empty .vimrc I know, that the problem is somewhere inside
> my original .vimrc.
> Grepping for the usual suspect doesn't show anything obvious, though.
>
> Is there any way to pinpoint the code in my vimrc, which triggers the
> problem...?

The usual way to find where an option or setting has been made is to
use :verbose, like this:

    :verbose set filetype?

Don't forget the question mark at the end.

Regards,
Gary

On 02/15 09:39, Gary Johnson wrote:

> On 2021-02-15, tuxic wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > is there any way to pinpoint the line, which is "guilty" for
> > setting a wrong filetyoe somehow?
> >
> > Background:
> > Currently I am editing troff files a lot. The extension of that files
> > are *.mm. *.me, *.tmac, *.ms and so on...depending on what troff macro
> > package will be used.
> >
> > Everything works fine...except for the *.mm files. In case of reading
> > such a file, the filetyoe is set to "xml"...which is slightly wrong.
> > :)
> >
> > By using an empty .vimrc I know, that the problem is somewhere inside
> > my original .vimrc.
> > Grepping for the usual suspect doesn't show anything obvious, though.
> >
> > Is there any way to pinpoint the code in my vimrc, which triggers the
> > problem...?
>
> The usual way to find where an option or setting has been made is to
> use :verbose, like this:
>
>     :verbose set filetype?
>
> Don't forget the question mark at the end.
>
> Regards,
> Gary

> ---

Hi Gary,