Diagnose spurious Conceal group highlight gui Greys

Diagnose spurious Conceal group highlight gui Greys

Josef Fortier
Somehow something is setting my Conceal highlight with hard to read defaults. Verbose highlight Conceal shows:
ctermfg=7 ctermbg=242 guifg=LightGrey guibg=DarkGrey
With source in the sourced colorscheme, which seems reasonable except:
1) The exact same highlight shows up in 4 or 5 other colorschemes (of the 7-9 I tried).
2) Looking through the colorscheme shows nothing like that coloration.
3) Grepping for some clue as to where this is being set throughout /usr/share and local vim files, with no obvious candidates.

I can deal with this by explicitly declaring a Conceal highlight, but I'd like to undestand both why, and how to fix it more elegantly.

Thanks :-)

Re: Diagnose spurious Conceal group highlight gui Greys

Tony Mechelynck
On Sun, Mar 4, 2018 at 3:17 AM, Josef Fortier <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Somehow something is setting my Conceal highlight with hard to read defaults. Verbose highlight Conceal shows:
> ctermfg=7 ctermbg=242 guifg=LightGrey guibg=DarkGrey
> With source in the sourced colorscheme, which seems reasonable except:
> 1) The exact same highlight shows up in 4 or 5 other colorschemes (of the 7-9 I tried).
> 2) Looking through the colorscheme shows nothing like that coloration.
> 3) Grepping for some clue as to where this is being set throughout /usr/share and local vim files, with no obvious candidates.
>
> I can deal with this by explicitly declaring a Conceal highlight, but I'd like to undestand both why, and how to fix it more elegantly.
>
> Thanks :-)

Here are the relevant RTFM sections:

:help :verbose
:help 'verbose'
:help :highlight-verbose

IOW,
        :verbose hi Conceal
ought to tell you what you need to know. (You should still read the
help text, even though I gave you the answer.)

Re: Diagnose spurious Conceal group highlight gui Greys

Tony Mechelynck
P.S. I like that added verbosity so much that I have the following in my vimrc:

if &verbose < 1
    set verbose=1
endif

The surrounding :if is to allow setting a higher level by adding e.g.
--cmd='set verbose=5' on the Vim command-line.