Different Option-Key Combination in MacVim and Other Applications

Different Option-Key Combination in MacVim and Other Applications

Yongwei Wu
To my surprise, I have found the option key behave differently in my
MacVim 73 and outside MacVim.

In MacVim (with or without "-u NONE"):

Option-Q: ñ
Option-W: ÷
Option-A: á
Option-Z: ú
Option-[: Û
Option-]: Ý

Outside MacVim:

Option-Q: œ
Option-W: ∑
Option-A: å
Option-Z: Ω
Option-[: “
Option-]: ‘

Surprisingly, this only occurs on my Lion laptop. MacVim 66 on an old
Snow Leopard machine behaves like a normal Mac app.

Does anyone know the reason? Is there a way to revert to the standard
Mac option-key combination?

Thanks in advance.

Wu Yongwei

Re: Different Option-Key Combination in MacVim and Other Applications

Limin Tang
On Monday, December 15, 2014 6:39:42 AM UTC-8, Yongwei Wu wrote:

> To my surprise, I have found the option key behave differently in my
> MacVim 73 and outside MacVim.
>
> In MacVim (with or without "-u NONE"):
>
> Option-Q: ñ
> Option-W: ÷
> Option-A: á
> Option-Z: ú
> Option-[: Û
> Option-]: Ý
>
> Outside MacVim:
>
> Option-Q: œ
> Option-W: ∑
> Option-A: å
> Option-Z: Ω
> Option-[: “
> Option-]: ‘
>
> Surprisingly, this only occurs on my Lion laptop. MacVim 66 on an old
> Snow Leopard machine behaves like a normal Mac app.
>
> Does anyone know the reason? Is there a way to revert to the standard
> Mac option-key combination?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Best regards,
>
> --
> Wu Yongwei
MacVim 73 has different builds for 10.6/10.7/10/8/10.9/10.10, are you using the correct build?

Re: Different Option-Key Combination in MacVim and Other Applications

Yongwei Wu
I built it myself from the source code…. I did not make any changes.

On 17 December 2014 at 04:29, Limin Tang <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Monday, December 15, 2014 6:39:42 AM UTC-8, Yongwei Wu wrote:
>> To my surprise, I have found the option key behave differently in my
>> MacVim 73 and outside MacVim.
>>
>> In MacVim (with or without "-u NONE"):
>>
>> Option-Q: ñ
>> Option-W: ÷
>> Option-A: á
>> Option-Z: ú
>> Option-[: Û
>> Option-]: Ý
>>
>> Outside MacVim:
>>
>> Option-Q: œ
>> Option-W: ∑
>> Option-A: å
>> Option-Z: Ω
>> Option-[: “
>> Option-]: ‘
>>
>> Surprisingly, this only occurs on my Lion laptop. MacVim 66 on an old
>> Snow Leopard machine behaves like a normal Mac app.
>>
>> Does anyone know the reason? Is there a way to revert to the standard
>> Mac option-key combination?
>>
>> Thanks in advance.
>>
>> Best regards,
>>
>> --
>> Wu Yongwei
>
> MacVim 73 has different builds for 10.6/10.7/10/8/10.9/10.10, are you using the correct build?

> ---

Wu Yongwei

Re: Different Option-Key Combination in MacVim and Other Applications

Andrew Stewart
>> On Monday, December 15, 2014 6:39:42 AM UTC-8, Yongwei Wu wrote:
>>> To my surprise, I have found the option key behave differently in my
>>> MacVim 73 and outside MacVim.
>>>
>>> In MacVim (with or without "-u NONE"):
>>>
>>> Option-Q: ñ
>>> Option-W: ÷
>>> Option-A: á
>>> Option-Z: ú
>>> Option-[: Û
>>> Option-]: Ý
>>>
>>> Outside MacVim:
>>>
>>> Option-Q: œ
>>> Option-W: ∑
>>> Option-A: å
>>> Option-Z: Ω
>>> Option-[: “
>>> Option-]: ‘
>>>
>>> Surprisingly, this only occurs on my Lion laptop. MacVim 66 on an old
>>> Snow Leopard machine behaves like a normal Mac app.
>>>
>>> Does anyone know the reason? Is there a way to revert to the standard
>>> Mac option-key combination?

For what it's worth I'm on Mountain Lion and running MacVim 7.4.542 (built from source).  I see your second set of results ("Outside MacVim") when I press those keys in MacVim.

Yours,
Andy Stewart