Quantcast

Disabling auto-indentation and auto-comments(//)

Disabling auto-indentation and auto-comments(//)

mthread

Hi,
     I am using vim to write c++ code. How do I disable/enable auto-
indentation and auto-comments(ie it automatically adds '//' when I
move from one line to the other).

Re: Disabling auto-indentation and auto-comments(//)

Albie Janse van Rensburg

mthread wrote:
> Hi,
>      I am using vim to write c++ code. How do I disable/enable auto-
> indentation and auto-comments(ie it automatically adds '//' when I
> move from one line to the other).

To disable autoindentation, use:
    :set noautoindent | set nosmartindent | set nocindent

To re-enable auto indentation, just re-set the type of indent you would
like to use.

To en/disable automatic comment continuation, use:
    :set formatoptions-=c

Your indent settings are normally governed by the scripts in your
$VIMRUNTIME/indent , ~/.vim/indent (or, on Windows, ~/vimfiles/indent)
and sometimes by a  filetype plugin.

For more info, see
    :help C-indenting
    :help autoindent
    :help smartindent
    :help 'formatoptions'
    :help fo-table
    :help formatting

--

[ Albie Janse van Rensburg ~ http://morph.telspace.co.za ]

A good scapegoat is hard to find.
A guilty conscience is the mother of invention.
                -- Carolyn Wells