Documentation update

Gavin Sinclair
Hi folks,

I thought it might be time to update the documentation for this
project, and get everything a user needs into the homepage
(http://vim-ruby.rubyforge.org).  At the same time, I'd review the
wiki pages.

So can people suggest what should go in the "one consolidated
document"?  Pretend I know nothing about the project and suggest
_anything_.

Thanks,
Gavin

Re: Documentation update

Gavin Sinclair
On 10/12/05, Gavin Sinclair <[hidden email]> wrote:

> So can people suggest what should go in the "one consolidated
> document"?  Pretend I know nothing about the project and suggest
> _anything_.

No bites?  What a surprise...

Anyway, I thought just presenting the site as a FAQ would be good.
Here are the questions I've come up with.  Any others to add?

What is the vim-ruby project?
  - basic description, components

How do you get it?
  - gem, tarball

How do you install it?
  - gem, tarball

What Vim config do I need?
  - definitive answer

How do I know that everything's working?
  - a few things to try

How do I use it?
  - summary of commands

I want feature X.  Will you include it?
  - probably not

What are some other cool Ruby-related Vim tricks I can use?
  - nice summary + links

How can I report a bug?
  - bug tracker or mailing list or file maintainer (in that order of preference)

I have another question...
  - mailing list or file maintainer

Re: Documentation update

Nikolai Weibull-5
Gavin Sinclair wrote:

> I want feature X.  Will you include it?
>   - probably not

...but give us a good reason and we just might do it.

> What are some other cool Ruby-related Vim tricks I can use?
>   - nice summary + links

How about putting this on the wiki (rubyforge vim-ruby project wiki or
rubygarden)?

        nikolai

Re: Documentation update

Mark Volkmann-2
On 10/13/05, Gavin Sinclair <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On 10/12/05, Gavin Sinclair <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > So can people suggest what should go in the "one consolidated
> > document"?  Pretend I know nothing about the project and suggest
> > _anything_.
> >

> No bites?  What a surprise...

Your list looks great to me!
I'm really looking forward to seeing the summary of commands.

> Anyway, I thought just presenting the site as a FAQ would be good.
> Here are the questions I've come up with.  Any others to add?
>
> What is the vim-ruby project?
>  - basic description, components
>
> How do you get it?
>  - gem, tarball
>
> How do you install it?
>  - gem, tarball
>
> What Vim config do I need?
>  - definitive answer
>
> How do I know that everything's working?
>  - a few things to try
>
> How do I use it?
>  - summary of commands
>
> I want feature X.  Will you include it?
>  - probably not
>
> What are some other cool Ruby-related Vim tricks I can use?
>  - nice summary + links
>
> How can I report a bug?
>  - bug tracker or mailing list or file maintainer (in that order of preference)
>
> I have another question...
>  - mailing list or file maintainer

R. Mark Volkmann
Partner, Object Computing, Inc.

Re: Documentation update

Doug Kearns
On Fri, Oct 14, 2005 at 08:16:58AM +1000, Gavin Sinclair wrote:
> On 10/12/05, Gavin Sinclair <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > So can people suggest what should go in the "one consolidated
> > document"?  Pretend I know nothing about the project and suggest
> > _anything_.
> >

> No bites?  What a surprise...

Just very short on time. I'm going down to the MotoGP for a week but
will lend you a hand when I return.

<snip>

Thanks,
Doug

Re: Documentation update

Gavin Sinclair
On 10/14/05, Nikolai Weibull
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Gavin Sinclair wrote:
>
> > I want feature X.  Will you include it?
> >   - probably not
>
> ...but give us a good reason and we just might do it.

Well, the intention was to highlight that Vim's distro should contain
only things that all Ruby programmers will benefit from, not personal
favourite mappings.

However, I think we could build up another file with cool stuff in it,
and make it an optional part of the install.

> > What are some other cool Ruby-related Vim tricks I can use?
> >   - nice summary + links
>
> How about putting this on the wiki (rubyforge vim-ruby project wiki or
> rubygarden)?

There's already some stuff on the rubygarden wiki, but it's become
kind of disorganised.  That's why this entry in the FAQ would be just
a summary, with a link to the wiki.

Gavin

Re: Documentation update

Hugh Sasse
On Fri, 14 Oct 2005, Gavin Sinclair wrote:

> On 10/12/05, Gavin Sinclair <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > So can people suggest what should go in the "one consolidated
> > document"?  Pretend I know nothing about the project and suggest
> > _anything_.
> >

> No bites?  What a surprise...
>
> Anyway, I thought just presenting the site as a FAQ would be good.
> Here are the questions I've come up with.  Any others to add?
>
> What is the vim-ruby project?
>   - basic description, components

  Why does it appear to be separate from vim?
    - How other syntax/indent/... files are maintained, how
      the stuff gets into the next vim

> How do I know that everything's working?
>   - a few things to try

  That's nice, but what about "matchit"? What? How?
    - Allows you to bounce on % to navigate classes, blocks etc.
    - You move matchit.vim from here to there and setup wossname
      in your ~/.vim...  [which I can't remember and must lookup..]

> How do I use it?
>   - summary of commands
      with particular emphasis on :he

        Hugh

Re: Documentation update

Gavin Sinclair
On 10/14/05, Hugh Sasse <[hidden email]> wrote:

>   Why does it appear to be separate from vim?
>     - How other syntax/indent/... files are maintained, how
>       the stuff gets into the next vim

Excellent idea.

> > How do I know that everything's working?
> >   - a few things to try
>
>   That's nice, but what about "matchit"? What? How?
>     - Allows you to bounce on % to navigate classes, blocks etc.
>     - You move matchit.vim from here to there and setup wossname
>       in your ~/.vim...  [which I can't remember and must lookup..]

I intended to talk about matchit in there somewhere, and include
matchit setup in the "basic setup required" section.  You're
suggesting a special question.  We'll see how it pans out.

> > How do I use it?
> >   - summary of commands
>       with particular emphasis on :he

:)

I sorta meant any vim-ruby commands that are introduced, but thanks
for the reminder :)

Cheers,
Gavin

Re: Documentation update

Hugh Sasse
On Fri, 14 Oct 2005, Gavin Sinclair wrote:

> On 10/14/05, Hugh Sasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >   Why does it appear to be separate from vim?
> >     - How other syntax/indent/... files are maintained, how
> >       the stuff gets into the next vim
>
> Excellent idea.
>

> > > How do I know that everything's working?
> > >   - a few things to try
> >
> >   That's nice, but what about "matchit"? What? How?
> >     - Allows you to bounce on % to navigate classes, blocks etc.
> >     - You move matchit.vim from here to there and setup wossname
> >       in your ~/.vim...  [which I can't remember and must lookup..]
>
> I intended to talk about matchit in there somewhere, and include
> matchit setup in the "basic setup required" section.  You're
> suggesting a special question.  We'll see how it pans out.

Not really, I didn't know you were planning to include it. As long
as it can be found easily....

<brainstorm>
Can it be beaten into vim help format, so we can use vim to
navigate it?  Maybe even get the help shipped with vim?
</brainstorm>

> > > How do I use it?
> > >   - summary of commands
> >       with particular emphasis on :he
>
> :)
>
> I sorta meant any vim-ruby commands that are introduced, but thanks
> for the reminder :)
>
> Cheers,
> Gavin

        Hugh

Re: Documentation update

Gavin Sinclair
On 10/14/05, Hugh Sasse <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > I intended to talk about matchit in there somewhere, and include
> > matchit setup in the "basic setup required" section.  You're
> > suggesting a special question.  We'll see how it pans out.
>
> Not really, I didn't know you were planning to include it. As long
> as it can be found easily....

I'll ensure it.

> <brainstorm>
> Can it be beaten into vim help format, so we can use vim to
> navigate it?  Maybe even get the help shipped with vim?
> </brainstorm>

Now there's some clever thinking!  I've done it like that, but will
post as a separate thread.

Cheers,
Gavin