Does VIM have an ECCN?

Dave Roberts

(Not sure what's going on with my subscription - I joined "vim_use" and
"vim_dev" on 4/27 and tried for a couple weeks to send the following but
always got a "Posting error". I checked my email this morning and
suddenly I started getting emails from both of them starting around
9:15PM Eastern on 6/15. Apologies if this has been addressed since 4/27)

Hello,

I use Vim at work but am changing projects so now want to put it on a
network that is accessible to some companies in Europe (I'm in the USA).
That means that even though anyone in those countries can download it
from http://www.vim.org, etc., I can't put it on this network without
having an Export Control Classification Number.

I've looked through the archives searching for both "ECCN" and "Export
Control Classification Number" and have come up empty. Has anyone
already gone through this?

Thanks,

- Dave

Re: Does VIM have an ECCN?

Benjamin Fritz

On Jun 17, 5:18 am, Dave Roberts <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I can't put it on this network without
> having an Export Control Classification Number.
>
> I've looked through the archives searching for both "ECCN" and "Export
> Control Classification Number" and have come up empty. Has anyone
> already gone through this?

I would ask someone at your company about this. AFAIK, the only export
restrictions that MIGHT come into play are those that classify
encryption as a "weapon" and therefore limit exports of software
including encryption. According to :help encryption, the algorithm
used in Vim is OK to export, but I doubt this statement will be enough
to comply with company policy. Your company may additionally have more
stringent standards.

Re: Does VIM have an ECCN?

Dave Roberts

Ben Fritz wrote:

> On Jun 17, 5:18 am, Dave Roberts <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I can't put it on this network without
>> having an Export Control Classification Number.
>>
>> I've looked through the archives searching for both "ECCN" and "Export
>> Control Classification Number" and have come up empty. Has anyone
>> already gone through this?
>>

> I would ask someone at your company about this. AFAIK, the only export
> restrictions that MIGHT come into play are those that classify
> encryption as a "weapon" and therefore limit exports of software
> including encryption. According to :help encryption, the algorithm
> used in Vim is OK to export, but I doubt this statement will be enough
> to comply with company policy. Your company may additionally have more
> stringent standards.

Thanks Ben but it sound like anything we don't produce ourselves that
goes on that network must have an ECCN number. Otherwise the logic that
pretty much anyone in the world can just download it would hold and this
wouldn't be an issue.

- Dave

Re: Does VIM have an ECCN?

Bram Moolenaar

Dave Roberts wrote:

> Ben Fritz wrote:
> >
> > On Jun 17, 5:18 am, Dave Roberts <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >> I can't put it on this network without
> >> having an Export Control Classification Number.
> >>
> >> I've looked through the archives searching for both "ECCN" and "Export
> >> Control Classification Number" and have come up empty. Has anyone
> >> already gone through this?
> >>

> > I would ask someone at your company about this. AFAIK, the only export
> > restrictions that MIGHT come into play are those that classify
> > encryption as a "weapon" and therefore limit exports of software
> > including encryption. According to :help encryption, the algorithm
> > used in Vim is OK to export, but I doubt this statement will be enough
> > to comply with company policy. Your company may additionally have more
> > stringent standards.
> > >

> Thanks Ben but it sound like anything we don't produce ourselves that
> goes on that network must have an ECCN number. Otherwise the logic that
> pretty much anyone in the world can just download it would hold and this
> wouldn't be an issue.

I feel sorry for you, being in a position where you sold your soul to
bureaucrazy.

Here is some info about Mozilla and ECCN: http://hecker.org/mozilla/eccn

Actually, since Vim was made in europe, you would need an ICCN (I for
Import).

I suggest you just make up some number that looks like it might be an
ECCN and use that.

--
The History of every major Galactic Civilization tends to pass through
three distinct and recognizable phases, those of Survival, Inquiry and

Re: Does VIM have an ECCN?

On 17/06/09 12:18, Dave Roberts wrote:

> (Not sure what's going on with my subscription - I joined "vim_use" and
> "vim_dev" on 4/27 and tried for a couple weeks to send the following but
> always got a "Posting error". I checked my email this morning and
> suddenly I started getting emails from both of them starting around
> 9:15PM Eastern on 6/15. Apologies if this has been addressed since 4/27)
>
> Hello,
>
> I use Vim at work but am changing projects so now want to put it on a
> network that is accessible to some companies in Europe (I'm in the USA).
> That means that even though anyone in those countries can download it
> from http://www.vim.org, etc., I can't put it on this network without
> having an Export Control Classification Number.
>
> I've looked through the archives searching for both "ECCN" and "Export
> Control Classification Number" and have come up empty. Has anyone
> already gone through this?
>
> Thanks,
>
> - Dave

I see Bram gave you an answer, which I understand means you don't need a
license (but IANAL, nor do I play one on TV).

Since Vim is published in Europe and the companies to whom you want to
make it available are in Europe too, I suppose that (if you want some
faster workaround than attentively reading the Mozilla case study and
applying it to Vim) you can, instead of yourself putting Vim itself on
the network, tell them how to download it from ftp.vim.org (which is an
alias for some part of ftp.nluug.nl, in the Netherlands) and/or read my
HowTo pages (hosted in Belgium where I live, and linked from
http://users.skynet.be/antoine.mechelynck/vim/ ). Then they can build
Vim without the need for the product ever to leave EU territory, thus
taking advantage of the European "free circulation of people and goods"
treaties.

51. You put a pillow case over your laptop so your lover doesn't see it
while
     you are pretending to catch your breath.

Re: Does VIM have an ECCN?

Dave Roberts

Tony Mechelynck wrote:

> On 17/06/09 12:18, Dave Roberts wrote:
>
>> (Not sure what's going on with my subscription - I joined "vim_use" and
>> "vim_dev" on 4/27 and tried for a couple weeks to send the following but
>> always got a "Posting error". I checked my email this morning and
>> suddenly I started getting emails from both of them starting around
>> 9:15PM Eastern on 6/15. Apologies if this has been addressed since 4/27)
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I use Vim at work but am changing projects so now want to put it on a
>> network that is accessible to some companies in Europe (I'm in the USA).
>> That means that even though anyone in those countries can download it
>> from http://www.vim.org, etc., I can't put it on this network without
>> having an Export Control Classification Number.
>>
>> I've looked through the archives searching for both "ECCN" and "Export
>> Control Classification Number" and have come up empty. Has anyone
>> already gone through this?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> - Dave
>>

> I see Bram gave you an answer, which I understand means you don't need a
> license (but IANAL, nor do I play one on TV).
>
> Since Vim is published in Europe and the companies to whom you want to
> make it available are in Europe too, I suppose that (if you want some
> faster workaround than attentively reading the Mozilla case study and
> applying it to Vim) you can, instead of yourself putting Vim itself on
> the network, tell them how to download it from ftp.vim.org (which is an
> alias for some part of ftp.nluug.nl, in the Netherlands) and/or read my
> HowTo pages (hosted in Belgium where I live, and linked from
> http://users.skynet.be/antoine.mechelynck/vim/ ). Then they can build
> Vim without the need for the product ever to leave EU territory, thus
> taking advantage of the European "free circulation of people and goods"
> treaties.
>

> Best regards,
> Tony.

Tony,

I'll forward this to work, add it to the mix, shake it up a bit, and see
what falls out.

Thanks,

- Dave