Does anyone want the macvim.org domain?

Benji Fisher-3
     For several years, I have not had time to maintain macvim.org, but I still own the domain name.  Does anyone want to take it over?  Or tell me an IP address and I will set it as the A record.  I do not mind the expense of keeping the domain.

--
Benji Fisher

Re: Does anyone want the macvim.org domain?

Janusz Bossy-2
On Wed, Aug 3, 2016, at 17:34, Benji Fisher wrote:
>      For several years, I have not had time to maintain macvim.org, but I
> still own the domain name.  Does anyone want to take it over?  Or tell me
> an IP address and I will set it as the A record.  I do not mind the
> expense
> of keeping the domain.

Maybe you could just make it redirect to
https://github.com/macvim-dev/macvim?

Janusz Bossy

Re: Does anyone want the macvim.org domain?

Sven Guckes-3
* Benji Fisher <[hidden email]> [2016-08-05 12:38]:
> For several years, I have not had time to maintain macvim.org,
> but I still own the domain name.  Does anyone want to take it over?
> Or tell me an IP address and I will set it as the A record.
> I do not mind the expense of keeping the domain.

thanks for maintaining macvim.org, Benji! :)

why not simply redirect it to vim.org?

www.vim.org is an alias for vhost.sourceforge.net.
vhost.sourceforge.net has address 216.34.181.97

Sven

Re: Does anyone want the macvim.org domain?

Shirk
My proposal:

The macvim-dev on github already has a gh-pages branch so it should work with github pages just fine.
Github Pages supports using your own domain name as per this document:

https://github.com/articles/using-a-custom-domain-with-github-pages/

Cheers
--
Those who would give up essential Liberty,
to purchase a little temporary Safety,

> On 5 Aug 2016, at 12:41 PM, Sven Guckes <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> * Benji Fisher <[hidden email]> [2016-08-05 12:38]:
>> For several years, I have not had time to maintain macvim.org,
>> but I still own the domain name.  Does anyone want to take it over?
>> Or tell me an IP address and I will set it as the A record.
>> I do not mind the expense of keeping the domain.
>
> thanks for maintaining macvim.org, Benji! :)
>
> why not simply redirect it to vim.org?
>
> www.vim.org is an alias for vhost.sourceforge.net.
> vhost.sourceforge.net has address 216.34.181.97
>
> Sven

> ---

Re: Does anyone want the macvim.org domain?

Frank Hellenkamp-2
> My proposal:
>
> The macvim-dev on github already has a gh-pages branch so it should work with github pages just fine.

I would second that.

> Github Pages supports using your own domain name as per this document:
>
> https://github.com/articles/using-a-custom-domain-with-github-pages/

Actually, the article is here:
https://help.github.com/articles/using-a-custom-domain-with-github-pages/

Best

Frank

--
frank hellenkamp | interface designer
solmsstraße 7 | 10961 berlin

+49.30.49 78 20 70 | tel
+49.176.32 13 88 89 | mbl
[hidden email]

https://depage.net | bureau
http://everydayisexactlythesame.net | see
https://twitter.com/depage_net | twitter

On Fri, Aug 5, 2016, at 13:32, Frank Hellenkamp wrote:
> > My proposal:
> >
> > The macvim-dev on github already has a gh-pages branch so it should work with github pages just fine.
>
> I would second that.

This makes a lot more sense. I didn't know there's a gh-pages branch.

Janusz Bossy

Re: Does anyone want the macvim.org domain?

Niklas Lindström

On Fri, Aug 5, 2016 at 1:45 PM, Janusz Bossy <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Fri, Aug 5, 2016, at 13:32, Frank Hellenkamp wrote:
> > My proposal:
> >
> > The macvim-dev on github already has a gh-pages branch so it should work with github pages just fine.
>
> I would second that.

This makes a lot more sense. I didn't know there's a gh-pages branch.

I agree. Having http://macvim.org/ go to https://macvim-dev.github.io/macvim/ would be great!

Thanks to Benji for the macvim.org of old, and for now offering this! I used to go there a lot (to download builds for the iMac G3 at work up until at least my first iBook).

Cheers,
Niklas

Janusz Bossy

Re: Does anyone want the macvim.org domain?

Benji Fisher-3
On Friday, August 5, 2016 at 9:18:04 AM UTC-4, Niklas Lindström wrote:
[snip]

> I agree. Having http://macvim.org/ go to https://macvim-dev.github.io/macvim/ would be great!
>

> Thanks to Benji for the macvim.org of old, and for now offering this! I used to go there a lot (to download builds for the iMac G3 at work up until at least my first iBook).
>

> Cheers,
> Niklas

That looks like a consensus.  The GutHub doc recommends adding the domain to the GitHub settings before updating the DNS.  Who has access to do that?  My registrar (GoDaddy) does not support ANAME nor ALIAS records, so it seems simplest to use www.macvim.org.

--
Benji Fisher

Re: Does anyone want the macvim.org domain?

George Reilly

On Sat, Aug 6, 2016 at 6:05 PM, Benji Fisher <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Friday, August 5, 2016 at 9:18:04 AM UTC-4, Niklas Lindström wrote:
[snip]

> I agree. Having http://macvim.org/ go to https://macvim-dev.github.io/macvim/ would be great!
>

> Thanks to Benji for the macvim.org of old, and for now offering this! I used to go there a lot (to download builds for the iMac G3 at work up until at least my first iBook).
>

> Cheers,
> Niklas

That looks like a consensus.  The GutHub doc recommends adding the domain to the GitHub settings before updating the DNS.  Who has access to do that?  My registrar (GoDaddy) does not support ANAME nor ALIAS records, so it seems simplest to use www.macvim.org.

​This is User Pages, rather than Project Pages, so the branch is master, not gh-pages.
However, I've also made CNAME work with gh-pages: https://github.com/nwcpp/pelican-site/blob/gh-pages/CNAME

I'm using NameCheap as my domain registrar, with the following DNS config

Type

Host

Value

TTL