Does gVim has long term plan to support Emacs' frame feature? (For multi monitors)

Does gVim has long term plan to support Emacs' frame feature? (For multi monitors)

Kevin Gao
Current gVim does not support frame. So it can be used in only one monitor.

I want to know: does gVim has long term plan to support Emacs' frame feature?, which is very handy if you want to use it across multi monitor.

Or other plan to support multi monitors?

Re: Does gVim has long term plan to support Emacs' frame feature? (For multi monitors)

Tony Mechelynck
On Wed, Mar 6, 2019 at 7:25 PM KGG <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Current gVim does not support frame. So it can be used in only one monitor.
>
> I want to know: does gVim has long term plan to support Emacs' frame feature?, which is very handy if you want to use it across multi monitor.
>
> Or other plan to support multi monitors?

Currently, AFAIK every instance of Vim is seen by the OS as one
"window". What Vim calls "windows" (and "tab pages", which are sets of
Vim windows) are subdivisions of that, analogous, maybe, to what
browsers call "frames", so my guess is that to support several
monitors (displaying different things) with Vim, you would have to run
a separate Vim instance in each of them.

I don't know Emacs, and the extremely few times that I tried to use
it, its space-cadet-type keyboard use (with simultaneous use of any
number of Shift, Ctrl, Alt, etc. keys) quickly sent me back to good
old modal Vim.

Re: Does gVim has long term plan to support Emacs' frame feature? (For multi monitors)

Kevin Gao
Thanks.

Basically: I am asking: is there a long term plan to support: run one Vim instance (single process) across multi monitor? Emacs as well as modern IDE support this feature.

Thanks,
Kevin

On Wed, Mar 6, 2019 at 8:03 PM Kevin Gao <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks.
>
> Basically: I am asking: is there a long term plan to support: run one Vim instance (single process) across multi monitor? Emacs as well as modern IDE support this feature.
>
> Thanks,
> Kevin

I don't think there is, but *ïf* there is, it is probably somewhere in
the todo.txt helpfile. I couldn't find it, but I'm bad at that kind of
search. Maybe you'll have better luck.

Re: Does gVim has long term plan to support Emacs' frame feature? (For multi monitors)

Kevin Gao
Thanks. I took a quick look at https://github.com/vim/vim/blob/master/runtime/doc/todo.txt. I don't think there is a plan.

To support multi monitors within single gvim process, there would be huge amount of work, I guess.

90% of time, I use vim. 10% of time, when I need multi monitor support with single process, I (have to) use Emacs ^_^.

Thanks,
Kevin

On Wed, Mar 6, 2019 at 11:30 AM Tony Mechelynck <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Wed, Mar 6, 2019 at 8:03 PM Kevin Gao <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks.
>
> Basically: I am asking: is there a long term plan to support: run one Vim instance (single process) across multi monitor? Emacs as well as modern IDE support this feature.
>
> Thanks,
> Kevin

I don't think there is, but *ïf* there is, it is probably somewhere in
the todo.txt helpfile. I couldn't find it, but I'm bad at that kind of
search. Maybe you'll have better luck.

Re: Does gVim has long term plan to support Emacs' frame feature? (For multi monitors)

Joseph Dornisch-2
Could you describe this multi-monitor use case? I'm just curious.

On Wed, Mar 6, 2019 at 2:50 PM Kevin Gao <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks. I took a quick look at https://github.com/vim/vim/blob/master/runtime/doc/todo.txt. I don't think there is a plan.

To support multi monitors within single gvim process, there would be huge amount of work, I guess.

90% of time, I use vim. 10% of time, when I need multi monitor support with single process, I (have to) use Emacs ^_^.

Thanks,
Kevin

On Wed, Mar 6, 2019 at 11:30 AM Tony Mechelynck <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Wed, Mar 6, 2019 at 8:03 PM Kevin Gao <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks.
>
> Basically: I am asking: is there a long term plan to support: run one Vim instance (single process) across multi monitor? Emacs as well as modern IDE support this feature.
>
> Thanks,
> Kevin

I don't think there is, but *ïf* there is, it is probably somewhere in
the todo.txt helpfile. I couldn't find it, but I'm bad at that kind of
search. Maybe you'll have better luck.

Re: Does gVim has long term plan to support Emacs' frame feature? (For multi monitors)

Kevin Gao
Mostly for debugging. When you're debugging, you often want spread windows (in Emacs, it's called "Frame") to different monitor, which is very handy.

Thanks,
Kevin

Kevin Gao wrote:

> Basically: I am asking: is there a long term plan to support: run one Vim
> instance (single process) across multi monitor? Emacs as well as modern IDE
> support this feature.

Not really.  It would lead to some hard to tackle questions, such as
what happens with the command line.

Since the size of monitors has been increasing, the demand for this
feature has actually been reduced.  There are more important features to
work on.

--
Portable Computer:  A device invented to force businessmen
to work at home, on vacation, and on business trips.

Re: Does gVim has long term plan to support Emacs' frame feature? (For multi monitors)

Kevin Gao
Thanks Bram.

I expect neither. Just curiously asking ^_^

On Wed, Mar 6, 2019 at 9:44 PM Bram Moolenaar <[hidden email]> wrote:

Kevin Gao wrote:

> Basically: I am asking: is there a long term plan to support: run one Vim
> instance (single process) across multi monitor? Emacs as well as modern IDE
> support this feature.

Not really.  It would lead to some hard to tackle questions, such as
what happens with the command line.

Since the size of monitors has been increasing, the demand for this
feature has actually been reduced.  There are more important features to
work on.

--
Portable Computer:  A device invented to force businessmen
to work at home, on vacation, and on business trips.

///        sponsor Vim, vote for features -- http://www.Vim.org/sponsor/ \\\
\\\  an exciting new programming language -- http://www.Zimbu.org        ///
 \\\            help me help AIDS victims -- http://ICCF-Holland.org    ///

Re: Does gVim has long term plan to support Emacs' frame feature? (For multi monitors)

Josef Fortier
I'd guess 'clientserver' mode would be a good approach for this use case. It's been part of vim for a long time. It allows two different windows to be linked and interact with each other.

On Wednesday, March 6, 2019 at 9:54:41 PM UTC-6, KGG wrote:
> Mostly for debugging. When you're debugging, you often want spread windows (in Emacs, it's called "Frame") to different monitor, which is very handy.

Re: Does gVim has long term plan to support Emacs' frame feature? (For multi monitors)

lith
> I want to know: does gVim has long term plan to support Emacs' frame feature?, which is very handy if you want to use it across multi monitor.

IIRC it came up in the recent feature poll.

That said, you can send commands from one GVIM instance to another instance -- e.g. make it open a file etc. Before vim's new async features, some plugins used this for background tasks.