Quantcast

E17 error

vimNovice
Hi,
I am new to programming and currently taking some online tutorials on VIM text editor through https://www.learnenough.com/text-editor-tutorial. One of the instruction is requiring me to create an alias for the bash profile as shown

~/.bash_profile
alias lr = 'ls -hartl'

and then save it using command as shown

 :w.

However every time i tried to save, i get an error message
E17: "/users/atem" is a directory

I have attached a screenshot

Any help to fix this will be greatly appreciated
Thank you
ivo

Screen Shot 2017-03-22 at 4.58.58 PM.png (7K) Download Attachment

Re: E17 error

tuxic
On 03/22 03:23, vimNovice wrote:

> Hi,
> I am new to programming and currently taking some online tutorials on VIM text editor through https://www.learnenough.com/text-editor-tutorial. One of the instruction is requiring me to create an alias for the bash profile as shown
>
> ~/.bash_profile
> alias lr = 'ls -hartl'
>
> and then save it using command as shown
>
>  :w.
>
> However every time i tried to save, i get an error message
> E17: "/users/atem" is a directory
>
> I have attached a screenshot
>
> Any help to fix this will be greatly appreciated
> Thank you
> ivo

> ---

Hi ivo,

Welcome to the club ! :))

Try to us

:w

instead of

:w.

"." is the current directory ( and your UserID is probably "atem"...
;)

HTH!
Cheers
Meino