E303 Unable to load swap file

porphyry5
To my sorrow, I updated my arch linux system, a distro that cruelly and relentlessly reminds one of the reason for the old adage, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

So now vim is a little peculiar, announcing every file with E303, could not open a swap file for this file. The help points to a defunct web page for further information, and declares this is a problem with one's X configuration.

I think this unlikely as vim behaves so whether or not X is running, and it is not that I am out of disk space either. Can anyone advise me of other possibilities?

--
Graham Lawrence

Re: E303 Unable to load swap file

Reid Thompson
On Thu, 2015-02-12 at 12:13 -0800, Graham Lawrence wrote:

> To my sorrow, I updated my arch linux system, a distro that cruelly
> and relentlessly reminds one of the reason for the old adage, "If it
> ain't broke, don't fix it!"
>
> So now vim is a little peculiar, announcing every file with E303,
> could not open a swap file for this file. The help points to a defunct
> web page for further information, and declares this is a problem with
> one's X configuration.
>
> I think this unlikely as vim behaves so whether or not X is running,
> and it is not that I am out of disk space either. Can anyone advise me
> of other possibilities?
>
> --
> Graham Lawrence
> --
                                                        *E303*
  Unable to open swap file for "{filename}", recovery impossible

Vim was not able to create a swap file.  You can still edit the file, but if
Vim unexpectedly exits the changes will be lost.  And Vim may consume a lot of
memory when editing a big file.  You may want to change the 'directory' option
to avoid this error.  See |swap-file|.

http://superuser.com/questions/364879/how-to-open-a-new-file-in-gvim-e303-unable-to-open-swap-file

On Thursday, February 12, 2015 at 12:19:52 PM UTC-8, Reid Thompson wrote:

> > *E303*
> >   Unable to open swap file for "{filename}", recovery impossible
> >
> > Vim was not able to create a swap file.  You can still edit the file, but if
> > Vim unexpectedly exits the changes will be lost.  And Vim may consume a lot of
> > memory when editing a big file.  You may want to change the 'directory' option
> > to avoid this error.  See |swap-file|.
> >

> http://superuser.com/questions/364879/how-to-open-a-new-file-in-gvim-e303-unable-to-open-swap-file
Thank you very much.