Quantcast

E329 Error shows up in LANG=ja_JP.UTF-8

David NorthField
Hi

After updating to 7.2.433, my gVim shows up following error message and
unable to create menus properly.

Error was detected while processing menu.vim
Line 122:
E329: menu "&File" not found

This message is translation from original Japanese message. So
this may be different from coded one.

Anyway, this Error only appears while executing gVim with LANG=ja_JP.UTF-8
and do not appear if you use gVim in LANG=C so far as I have checked.

I suppose this problem is caused by patch 7.2.432 changing menu.c, but
not sure.

Any advice about this matter would be appreciated.

best regards

David

Re: E329 Error shows up in LANG=ja_JP.UTF-8

MURAOKA Taro
Hi David and the list.

I'm facing same problem.
But I wonder that it is a problem only for Japanese translation or
not.
I guess it is caused for other languages like Chinese or Korean.

Can anyone report about it?

David NorthField wrote:

> After updating to 7.2.433, my gVim shows up following error message and
> unable to create menus properly.
>
> Error was detected while processing menu.vim
> Line 122:
> E329: menu "&File" not found
>
> This message is translation from original Japanese message. So
> this may be different from coded one.
>
> Anyway, this Error only appears while executing gVim with LANG=ja_JP.UTF-8
> and do not appear if you use gVim in LANG=C so far as I have checked.
>
> I suppose this problem is caused by patch 7.2.432 changing menu.c, but
> not sure.
>
> Any advice about this matter would be appreciated.

Looks like this line doesn't work:

  vunmenu   &File.&Print

It works fine when I use German, it's probably related to using a
multi-byte encoding.  Hmm, but Chinese also works OK.

--
Latest survey shows that 3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the
world's population.

Re: E329 Error shows up in LANG=ja_JP.UTF-8

Edward L. Fox
On Sat, May 15, 2010 at 18:50, Bram Moolenaar <[hidden email]> wrote:

> David NorthField wrote:
>
>> After updating to 7.2.433, my gVim shows up following error message and
>> unable to create menus properly.
>>
>> Error was detected while processing menu.vim
>> Line 122:
>> E329: menu "&File" not found
>>
>> This message is translation from original Japanese message. So
>> this may be different from coded one.
>>
>> Anyway, this Error only appears while executing gVim with LANG=ja_JP.UTF-8
>> and do not appear if you use gVim in LANG=C so far as I have checked.
>>
>> I suppose this problem is caused by patch 7.2.432 changing menu.c, but
>> not sure.
>>
>> Any advice about this matter would be appreciated.
>
> Looks like this line doesn't work:
>
>  vunmenu   &File.&Print
>
> It works fine when I use German, it's probably related to using a
> multi-byte encoding.  Hmm, but Chinese also works OK.

Yes, I just confirmed that such bug exists under ja_JP.  Both Chinese
(zh_CN/zh_TW) and Koream (ko_KR) work well.

Bezetek is now working on this issue.  I'll follow up with this later.

> --
> Latest survey shows that 3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the
> world's population.
>
>  /// Bram Moolenaar -- [hidden email] -- http://www.Moolenaar.net   \\\
> ///        sponsor Vim, vote for features -- http://www.Vim.org/sponsor/ \\\
> \\\        download, build and distribute -- http://www.A-A-P.org        ///
>  \\\            help me help AIDS victims -- http://ICCF-Holland.org    ///

Re: E329 Error shows up in LANG=ja_JP.UTF-8

Edward L. Fox
On Sat, May 15, 2010 at 18:50, Bram Moolenaar <[hidden email]> wrote:

> David NorthField wrote:
>
>> After updating to 7.2.433, my gVim shows up following error message and
>> unable to create menus properly.
>>
>> Error was detected while processing menu.vim
>> Line 122:
>> E329: menu "&File" not found
>>
>> This message is translation from original Japanese message. So
>> this may be different from coded one.
>>
>> Anyway, this Error only appears while executing gVim with LANG=ja_JP.UTF-8
>> and do not appear if you use gVim in LANG=C so far as I have checked.
>>
>> I suppose this problem is caused by patch 7.2.432 changing menu.c, but
>> not sure.
>>
>> Any advice about this matter would be appreciated.
>
> Looks like this line doesn't work:
>
>  vunmenu   &File.&Print
>
> It works fine when I use German, it's probably related to using a
> multi-byte encoding.  Hmm, but Chinese also works OK.

Solved!

This problem was because menu_ja_jp.utf-8.vim tries to add a few
Japanese-specific menu items under "File" menu, using pure Japanese
menu path specifications.  As we know, menu translation files are
sourced before menu.vim, so when menu.vim is being executed, a few
menu items have already been inserted into the menu bar, with Japanese
names.  This will prevent the English named "&File" menu item from
being created, so menu.vim will fail later on when it tries to access
a menu item using "&File" as the menu path.

To solve the problem, we just need to modify all "ファイル(&F)" to
"&File" in that file.  A patch to fix this problem is coming soon.