ESC key stopped working -- any alternate for menuless vim to get to normal mode?

ESC key stopped working -- any alternate for menuless vim to get to normal mode?

Suresh Govindachar`

Hello,

For some unknown reason, my ESC key does not work -- neither on the
laptop keyboard nor on an external keyboard.  Is there an alternate to
make VIM (without any menus) get back to normal mode?

Thanks,

--Suresh

Re: ESC key stopped working -- any alternate for menuless vim to get to normal mode?

Andrei Olsen
On Tuesday, October 8, 2013 4:44:48 AM UTC+2, Suresh Govindachar wrote:

> Hello,
>

> For some unknown reason, my ESC key does not work -- neither on the
>
> laptop keyboard nor on an external keyboard.  Is there an alternate to
>
> make VIM (without any menus) get back to normal mode?
>

> Thanks,
>

> --Suresh

This should help:
http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Avoid_the_escape_key

Re: ESC key stopped working -- any alternate for menuless vim to get to normal mode?

Tony Mechelynck
On 08/10/13 05:07, Andrei Olsen wrote:

> On Tuesday, October 8, 2013 4:44:48 AM UTC+2, Suresh Govindachar wrote:
>> Hello,
>>

>> For some unknown reason, my ESC key does not work -- neither on the
>>
>> laptop keyboard nor on an external keyboard.  Is there an alternate to
>>
>> make VIM (without any menus) get back to normal mode?
>>

>> Thanks,
>>

>> --Suresh
>
> This should help:
> http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Avoid_the_escape_key

Yes, that wiki page has the info almost at the top.

FWIW, my own Esc key is broken (the electronics are OK but the key
itself has come unstuck then got lost). In programs other than Vim I
actuate it, when needed, with the tail end of a teaspoon. In Vim I could
use Ctrl+[ (the ASCII synonym for Esc, which to Vim is just the same
thing) except that on this Belgian AZERTY keyboard, [ is AltGr+Dead^
which makes the Ctrl+[ combo a little awkward to use; so I use Ctrl+C
instead.

I've tested this (with a GTK2/Gnome2 GUI-enabled Vim, if it makes any
difference) in gvim, in vim in konsole (X11 terminal by KDE), and in vim
in the linux console (pure-text non-X11 terminal); Ctrl-C works
identically in all three AFAICT.

It is mentioned at several places in the help that on DOS/Windows,
Ctrl-Break works the same way too, which allows to use Ctrl-C as the
{lhs} of a mapping to do something else (e.g. if you use the infamous
mswin.vim, which remaps Ctrl-C to copy-to-clipboard, i.e. "+y or similar).

Cure the disease and kill the patient.
                -- Francis Bacon

Re: ESC key stopped working -- any alternate for menuless vim to get to normal mode?

Nikolay Aleksandrovich Pavlov

On Oct 8, 2013 7:55 AM, "Tony Mechelynck" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 08/10/13 05:07, Andrei Olsen wrote:
>>
>> On Tuesday, October 8, 2013 4:44:48 AM UTC+2, Suresh Govindachar wrote:
>>>
>>> Hello,
>>>

>>> For some unknown reason, my ESC key does not work -- neither on the
>>>
>>> laptop keyboard nor on an external keyboard.  Is there an alternate to
>>>
>>> make VIM (without any menus) get back to normal mode?
>>>

>>> Thanks,
>>>

>>> --Suresh
>>

>> This should help:
>> http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Avoid_the_escape_key
>>

> Yes, that wiki page has the info almost at the top.
>
> FWIW, my own Esc key is broken (the electronics are OK but the key itself has come unstuck then got lost). In programs other than Vim I actuate it, when needed, with the tail end of a teaspoon. In Vim I could use Ctrl+[ (the ASCII synonym for Esc, which to Vim is just the same thing) except that on this Belgian AZERTY keyboard, [ is AltGr+Dead^ which makes the Ctrl+[ combo a little awkward to use; so I use Ctrl+C instead.

The CTRL-C has a known disadvantage of not triggering abbreviations and InsertLeave event.

I would really suggest to switch to my scheme where ESC is located on left Control and Left Control is located on Caps Lock, no matter whether or not your escape key works: this is more convenient variant to work.

Note: on the keyboard where I have neither Control nor Escape (Motorola Droid 4 hardware keyboard) I mapped jj to ESC. Control though is configured to reside on Volume Up (VimTouch setting).

> I've tested this (with a GTK2/Gnome2 GUI-enabled Vim, if it makes any difference) in gvim, in vim in konsole (X11 terminal by KDE), and in vim in the linux console (pure-text non-X11 terminal); Ctrl-C works identically in all three AFAICT.
>
> It is mentioned at several places in the help that on DOS/Windows, Ctrl-Break works the same way too, which allows to use Ctrl-C as the {lhs} of a mapping to do something else (e.g. if you use the infamous mswin.vim, which remaps Ctrl-C to copy-to-clipboard, i.e. "+y or similar).
>
> Best regards,
> Tony.
> --
> Cure the disease and kill the patient.
>                 -- Francis Bacon

Re: ESC key stopped working -- any alternate for menuless vim to get to normal mode?

Chris Lott
On Mon, Oct 7, 2013 at 8:06 PM, Nikolay Pavlov <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Note: on the keyboard where I have neither Control nor Escape (Motorola
> Droid 4 hardware keyboard) I mapped jj to ESC.

I found mapping jk (or maybe kj now that I think about it) to ESC
works very well under the fingers.

Chris Lott <[hidden email]>

On 08/10/13 06:06, Nikolay Pavlov wrote:
> The CTRL-C has a known disadvantage of not triggering abbreviations and
> InsertLeave event.
>
> I would really suggest to switch to my scheme where ESC is located on
> left Control and Left Control is located on Caps Lock, no matter whether
> or not your escape key works: this is more convenient variant to work.

That scheme, which cannot be achieved by mappings but only by means
external to Vim, assumes that the Caps Lock function isn't needed. I use
it a lot: in my previous mail (and in this sentence) to type the word
AZERTY, in comments to bug reports whan talking about a bug which was
RESOLVED WONTFIX, when typing the "official" name (which is in all-caps)
of some Unicode codepoint, etc. etc. etc. Also I like the Ctrl key where
it is, on the left & right bottom corners of the "typewriter" part of
the keyboard, just below Shift and (on the left side) horizontally close
to Alt, (on the right side) horizontally close to the arrow keys. In
fact, on keyboards where the Esc key works, the location _I_ prefer for
it is the default, conveniently out of the way in the far top left
corner, where I won't hit it by mistake even when typing fast and a
little off-target.

Matter of personal preference of course; and one thing I like about Vim
is that different people can use different procedures to achieve the
same results. Use what suits you best; just don't imagine that it is
"more convenient" for everyone.

> Note: on the keyboard where I have neither Control nor Escape (Motorola
> Droid 4 hardware keyboard) I mapped jj to ESC. Control though is
> configured to reside on Volume Up (VimTouch setting).

32. You don't know what sex three of your closest friends are, because they
     have neutral nicknames and you never bothered to ask.

Re: ESC key stopped working -- any alternate for menuless vim to get to normal mode?

Phil Dobbin
On 08/10/2013 05:47, Chris Lott wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 7, 2013 at 8:06 PM, Nikolay Pavlov <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Note: on the keyboard where I have neither Control nor Escape (Motorola
>> Droid 4 hardware keyboard) I mapped jj to ESC.
>

> I found mapping jk (or maybe kj now that I think about it) to ESC
> works very well under the fingers.

A very common key combo, which I use myself, for remapping esc is `jj`.
I even carry that one about in the very limited vimrc I place in all my
/root directories.

Cheers,

  Phil...

--
currently (ab)using
Arch Linux, CentOS 5.9 & 6.4, Debian Squeeze & Wheezy, Fedora Spherical

Re: ESC key stopped working -- any alternate for menuless vim to get to normal mode?

Steve Litt
On Tue, 08 Oct 2013 05:54:48 +0200
Tony Mechelynck <[hidden email]> wrote:

> FWIW, my own Esc key is broken (the electronics are OK but the key
> itself has come unstuck then got lost). In programs other than Vim I
> actuate it, when needed, with the tail end of a teaspoon.

Alternatively, keyboards often are sold at garage sales for three bucks
apiece, and a lot of them have the layout and feel you like. I'm pretty
sure that for this entire century I've been using used keyboards on my
daily driver computer, either old Compaqs, or occasionally, old IBM
clickety-clacks.

At a garage sale a few weeks, for three bucks, I got a dual core AMD
desktop with 1GB RAM and 60GB disk, which I repaired, added RAM to, and
pressed into duty as a firewall/router/nat. The lady threw in a
keyboard, and it's one of the sweetest keyboards I've typed on. That
just might end up being my next daily typer.

SteveT

Steve Litt                *  http://www.troubleshooters.com/
Troubleshooting Training  *  Human Performance

Re: ESC key stopped working -- any alternate for menuless vim to get to normal mode?

Tao Joannes
In addition to all the other things mentioned, just figured I'd point out ZZ.

On Monday, October 7, 2013 7:44:48 PM UTC-7, Suresh Govindachar wrote:

> Hello,
>

> For some unknown reason, my ESC key does not work -- neither on the
>
> laptop keyboard nor on an external keyboard.  Is there an alternate to
>
> make VIM (without any menus) get back to normal mode?
>

> Thanks,
>

> --Suresh

Re: ESC key stopped working -- any alternate for menuless vim to get to normal mode?

John Little-4
On Tuesday, October 8, 2013 5:50:41 PM UTC+13, Tony Mechelynck wrote:
> That scheme, which cannot be achieved by mappings but only by means
> external to Vim, assumes that the Caps Lock function isn't needed. I use
> it a lot...

I (somewhat abashedly) grudgingly admit that a caps lock function is useful, but putting it where it is on the standard keyboard was a crime. When I feel the need, I use an alias to

    xmodmap -e 'add Lock    = Scroll_Lock'

to utilize an otherwise unused key.  (System settings sets the key beside A to control.)

Regards, John Little

On 08/10/13 16:34, Steve Litt wrote:

> On Tue, 08 Oct 2013 05:54:48 +0200
> Tony Mechelynck <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> FWIW, my own Esc key is broken (the electronics are OK but the key
>> itself has come unstuck then got lost). In programs other than Vim I
>> actuate it, when needed, with the tail end of a teaspoon.
>
> Alternatively, keyboards often are sold at garage sales for three bucks
> apiece, and a lot of them have the layout and feel you like. I'm pretty
> sure that for this entire century I've been using used keyboards on my
> daily driver computer, either old Compaqs, or occasionally, old IBM
> clickety-clacks.

Never seen a garage sale hereabouts, not to mention a keyboard  with a
Belgian AZERTY layout (
http://users.skynet.be/antoine.mechelynck/other/keybbe.htm ) offered in
one. Are you sure? I use the Esc key (in programs other than Vim) seldom
enough that I don't feel the need for it, but if I did I would either
buy a new keyboard or go to a second-hand shop.

Would you please have another look at my nose and put in that cocaine
stuff....
                -- Adolf Hitler, quoted by Dr. Giesing in Nuremberg trial
                   testimony, 1947

Re: ESC key stopped working -- any alternate for menuless vim to get to normal mode?

Michael Hernandez-2

> On Oct 9, 2013, at 10:20 PM, Tony Mechelynck <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On 08/10/13 16:34, Steve Litt wrote:
>> On Tue, 08 Oct 2013 05:54:48 +0200
>> Tony Mechelynck <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>>> FWIW, my own Esc key is broken (the electronics are OK but the key
>>> itself has come unstuck then got lost). In programs other than Vim I
>>> actuate it, when needed, with the tail end of a teaspoon.
>>
>> Alternatively, keyboards often are sold at garage sales for three bucks
>> apiece, and a lot of them have the layout and feel you like. I'm pretty
>> sure that for this entire century I've been using used keyboards on my
>> daily driver computer, either old Compaqs, or occasionally, old IBM
>> clickety-clacks.
>
> Never seen a garage sale hereabouts, not to mention a keyboard  with a Belgian AZERTY layout ( http://users.skynet.be/antoine.mechelynck/other/keybbe.htm ) offered in one. Are you sure? I use the Esc key (in programs other than Vim) seldom enough that I don't feel the need for it, but if I did I would either buy a new keyboard or go to a second-hand shop.

Late to the party here but am I the only one who uses CTRL - [ as an escape "key" 99% of the time? I went weeks with a broken esc key, only changed it when it made pair programming suck.

--Mike H

On 10/10/13 05:02, Michael Hernandez wrote:

>> On Oct 9, 2013, at 10:20 PM, Tony Mechelynck <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> On 08/10/13 16:34, Steve Litt wrote:

>>> Alternatively, keyboards often are sold at garage sales for three bucks
>>> apiece, and a lot of them have the layout and feel you like. I'm pretty
>>> sure that for this entire century I've been using used keyboards on my
>>> daily driver computer, either old Compaqs, or occasionally, old IBM
>>> clickety-clacks.
>>
>> Never seen a garage sale hereabouts, not to mention a keyboard  with a Belgian AZERTY layout ( http://users.skynet.be/antoine.mechelynck/other/keybbe.htm ) offered in one. Are you sure? I use the Esc key (in programs other than Vim) seldom enough that I don't feel the need for it, but if I did I would either buy a new keyboard or go to a second-hand shop.
>>

> Late to the party here but am I the only one who uses CTRL - [ as an escape "key" 99% of the time? I went weeks with a broken esc key, only changed it when it made pair programming suck.

You're probably not the only one but using Ctrl+[ on my AZERTY keyboard
means AltGr+Ctrl+(the key right of P) and that's a PITA.

> --Mike H

The primary difference [...] is that the Java program will reliably and
obviously crash, whereas the C Program will do something obscure
                -- Java Language Tutorial

Re: ESC key stopped working -- any alternate for menuless vim to get to normal mode?

Erik Christiansen
On 09.10.13 23:02, Michael Hernandez wrote:
> Late to the party here but am I the only one who uses CTRL - [ as an
> escape "key" 99% of the time? I went weeks with a broken esc key, only
> changed it when it made pair programming suck.

Quite possibly ... there seem to be so many habits - a testament to the
flexibility of the platform we use. It is so long since I mapped
CapsLock to Escape in X, that I now have to do it on any machine I use,
or chaos reigns. Doing it in X means that the mapping works everywhere,
even in firefox. Since I generally don't shout, either in emails or
anywhere else, it is rare that I need more than one capital letter at
the time - but if I do, then there is ^F, which CAPITALISES the word
before the cursor, while in insert mode. So who needs CapsLock?

Erik

--
Leibowitz's Rule:
When hammering a nail, you will never hit your finger if you hold the

Re: ESC key stopped working -- any alternate for menuless vim to get to normal mode?

Michael Hernandez-2

> On Oct 10, 2013, at 4:52 AM, Erik Christiansen <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On 09.10.13 23:02, Michael Hernandez wrote:
>> Late to the party here but am I the only one who uses CTRL - [ as an
>> escape "key" 99% of the time? I went weeks with a broken esc key, only
>> changed it when it made pair programming suck.
>
> Quite possibly ... there seem to be so many habits - a testament to the
> flexibility of the platform we use. It is so long since I mapped
> CapsLock to Escape in X, that I now have to do it on any machine I use,
> or chaos reigns. Doing it in X means that the mapping works everywhere,
> even in firefox. Since I generally don't shout, either in emails or
> anywhere else, it is rare that I need more than one capital letter at
> the time - but if I do, then there is ^F, which CAPITALISES the word
> before the cursor, while in insert mode. So who needs CapsLock?

Exactly. I use Caps as Ctrl, so my little fingers join forces to produce the Esc sequence. It sounds like more work to press 2 keys to get one "key", but not having to move far from the home row makes a difference. Comes in handy with other console apps as well (vi mode in zsh, wee chat, etc).

--Mike H