Enter key vs. return key

Benjamin Esham
Hi all,

I am using MacVim snapshot 50 on my MacBook Pro.  I would like to
define
separate mappings for my Return and Enter keys, but I'm not sure how.
Doing
"nmap <Enter> ..." just overrides the mapping I had set up for <CR>
(i.e.
the Return key).  I know it must be possible to have separate mappings
because the Enter key currently behaves like the + command, regardless
of
what the Return key does.

Thanks for any help with this!
--
Benjamin D. Esham   ][   [hidden email]   ][   PGP 0xD676BB9A
"When I hear of Schrödinger's cat, I reach for my gun."

Re: Enter key vs. return key

Björn Winckler
On 17 April 2010 15:22, Benjamin Esham wrote:

> I am using MacVim snapshot 50 on my MacBook Pro.  I would like to
> define
> separate mappings for my Return and Enter keys, but I'm not sure how.
> Doing
> "nmap <Enter> ..." just overrides the mapping I had set up for <CR>
> (i.e.
> the Return key).  I know it must be possible to have separate mappings
> because the Enter key currently behaves like the + command, regardless
> of
> what the Return key does.

Try mapping to <kEnter> instead ... that should do it.

Björn

(By the way: the snapshots are up to version 52 so you may want to upgrade.)

Re: Enter key vs. return key

Benjamin Esham
björn wrote:

> Benjamin Esham wrote:
>
> > I am using MacVim snapshot 50 on my MacBook Pro.  I
> > would like to define separate mappings for my Return and
> > Enter keys, but I'm not sure how.
>
> Try mapping to <kEnter> instead ... that should do it.

That worked great, thanks!  (Is this something that should
be in the main Vim documentation, or is it a MacVim-specific
extension?)

> (By the way: the snapshots are up to version 52 so you may
> want to upgrade.)

Thanks for the tip.  Oddly, the "check for updates..." menu
item is grayed out for me in snapshots 50 and 52; is this a
known issue?  I had been using snapshot 50 for at least six
weeks without it prompting me to update.

Cheers,
--
Benjamin D. Esham
[hidden email]

Re: Enter key vs. return key

Israel Chauca Fuentes
On Apr 18, 2010, at 7:42 PM, Benjamin Esham wrote:

> björn wrote:
>
>> Benjamin Esham wrote:
>>
>>> I am using MacVim snapshot 50 on my MacBook Pro.  I
>>> would like to define separate mappings for my Return and
>>> Enter keys, but I'm not sure how.
>>
>> Try mapping to <kEnter> instead ... that should do it.
>
> That worked great, thanks!  (Is this something that should
> be in the main Vim documentation, or is it a MacVim-specific
> extension?)

See :help kEnter

>> (By the way: the snapshots are up to version 52 so you may
>> want to upgrade.)
>
> Thanks for the tip.  Oddly, the "check for updates..." menu
> item is grayed out for me in snapshots 50 and 52; is this a
> known issue?  I had been using snapshot 50 for at least six
> weeks without it prompting me to update.

I think it's disabled for now, you have to download the snapshot yourself.

Cheers,
Israel