Error E747 on Gvim 7.0098

Cesar Romani
I'm using Gvim 7.0098 on Windows XP Professional.
It works fine but each time I open a vim file an error happens and then the file is opened.

If I open xml.vim:
-----------------------------
"xml.vim" [UNIX] 805L, 24385C

Errore/i eseguendo C:\Programmi\Vim\vim63\syntax\vim.vim:

linea???19:

E747: Missing ']': sfirst
------------------------------

If I open visincr.vim:
------------------------------
"visincr.vim" [UNIX] 816L, 26782C

Errore/i eseguendo C:\Programmi\Vim\vim63\syntax\vim.vim:

linea???19:

E747: Missing ']': sfirst

--------------------------------

I have no clue what does it mean. Thanks

Cesar

Cerchi un laboratorio fotografico aperto 24 ore su 24?
Stampa le tue foto digitali su Kataweb e le ricevi a domicilio in 48 ore.
http://www.kataweb.it/foto

Re: **SPAM** Error E747 on Gvim 7.0098

A.J.Mechelynck
> I'm using Gvim 7.0098 on Windows XP Professional.
> It works fine but each time I open a vim file an error happens and then
> the file is opened.
>

> If I open xml.vim:
> -----------------------------
> "xml.vim" [UNIX] 805L, 24385C
>
> Errore/i eseguendo C:\Programmi\Vim\vim63\syntax\vim.vim:
>
> linea 19:
>
> E747: Missing ']': sfirst
> ------------------------------
>

> If I open visincr.vim:
> ------------------------------
> "visincr.vim" [UNIX] 816L, 26782C
>
> Errore/i eseguendo C:\Programmi\Vim\vim63\syntax\vim.vim:
>
> linea 19:
>
> E747: Missing ']': sfirst
>
> --------------------------------
>
> I have no clue what does it mean. Thanks
>
> Cesar

> Cerchi un laboratorio fotografico aperto 24 ore su 24?
> Stampa le tue foto digitali su Kataweb e le ricevi a domicilio in 48 ore.
> http://www.kataweb.it/foto

Your Version 7 Vim is trying to use runtime files meant for version 6.3.

Check the following:

- Outside of Vim, the VIMRUNTIME environment variable should not be defined
("echo (%VIMRUNTIME%)", without the quotes but with the brackets, at the Dos
command-line, should answer just "()", also without quotes).
- You may leave the VIM environment variable unset, or set it to
C:\Programmi\Vim (check it using "echo (%VIM%)" at the Dos command-line. It
should answer either "()" or "(C:\Programmi\Vim)", in either case without
quotes).
- When running Vim 7, it should then set $VIMRUNTIME internally to
C:\Programmi\Vim\vim70aa which is its proper Vim 7 value (":echo
$VIMRUNTIME", within Vim and without quotes, should answer
"C:\Programmi\Vim\vim70aa", without quotes).
- If you still have Vim 6.3 installed, running _that_ should set $VIMRUNTIME
to its 6.3 setting, i.e., C:\Programmi\Vim\vim63. If you don't have Vim 6.3
anymore, you should get it: Vim version 7 is still "experimental" software.
- See also my tip http://vim.sourceforge.net/tips/tip.php?tip_id=848 about
installing several Vim versions side-by-side on the same computer.

If you don't have a C:\Programmi\Vim\vim70aa directory, or if the problem
persists, you can download the latest Vim 7 (currently 7.00aa.0115) from a
link at http://users.skynet.be/antoine.mechelynck/vim/#vim7 (read the text
first). Download the archive wherever convenient (for instance, to your
desktop) then unpack it, giving C:\Programmi\Vim as the destination
directory and using the "Use folder names" option. The archive will take
care of unpacking its contents into C:\Programmi\Vim\vim70aa and its
subdirectories, creating any needed directories which don't already exist.

HTH,

Re: Error E747 on Gvim 7.0098

Cesar Andalou wrote:

> I'm using Gvim 7.0098 on Windows XP Professional.
> It works fine but each time I open a vim file an error happens and then the file is opened.
>

> If I open xml.vim:
> -----------------------------
> "xml.vim" [UNIX] 805L, 24385C
>
> Errore/i eseguendo C:\Programmi\Vim\vim63\syntax\vim.vim:
>
> linea???19:
>
> E747: Missing ']': sfirst

That's exactly the problem: a ']' is missing after sfir[st  in line 19.

Strange that this wasn't noticed until now.  Vim 6.3 didn't complain
about it, apparently nobody tried using the Vim 6.3 runtime files with
Vim 7.  It's not something to be recommended anyway.

--
Every exit is an entrance into something else.