Error in the management of the jump list when using File browser (windows or Linux)

Error in the management of the jump list when using File browser (windows or Linux)

Jean Johner
Hello,

Please put two files file1 and file2 in the same directory.

Suppress the ~/(.,_)viminfo file.

Type vim test1 (file1 opens at line 1)
Type :e . (The file browser opens at line 8)
Type :q
Type vim file2 (file2 opens at line 1)

When going back to preceeding jumps with Ctrl-0, we should go to file
browser, then to file1 and stop there.

Type Ctrl-O (we go to File browser but at the wrong line)
Type Ctrl-O twice (we go to file1, we should stop there))
Type Ctrl-O (we go to File browser again !)
Type Ctrl-O twice (we finally get an error message E19 : Mark has
invalid line number)

Best regards

Jean Johner

Re: Error in the management of the jump list when using File browser (windows or Linux)

Charles Campbell
Jean Johner wrote:

> Hello,
>
> A still simpler case showing a problem with File browser and Ctrl-O/
> Ctrl-I
>
> Suppress the ~/(.,_)viminfo file.
>
> Type vim test1 (file1 opens at line 1)
> Type :e . (The file browser opens at line 8 OK)
> Type Ctrl-O twice (Return to file1, OK)
> Type Ctrl-I (Return to File browser, OK)
> Type Ctrl-O (Nothing happens, not OK)
> Type Ctrl-O: error message E19 : Mark has invalid line number, not OK

Put

  let g:netrw_fastbrowse= 2

into your .vimrc.  The penalty for this is that you get "slow" browsing
-- ie. netrw (vim, actually) doesn't remember previous directory
listings.   This may not be so important for local browsing, but every
refresh of a remote directory via ftp or ssh will require a new query of
the remote site.  This can be unpleasant when one has to re-enter passwords.

Regards,
Chip Campbell

Re: Error in the management of the jump list when using File browser (windows or Linux)

Jean Johner
On Mar 15, 9:00 pm, Charles Campbell <[hidden email]>
wrote:
>   let g:netrw_fastbrowse= 2

Hi Chip,

The above correction solves the problem for my Feb 24 message. Thank
you.

The situation is not so clean with the Feb 23 problem (CTRL-O goes
back to netrw, then to file2 again!, then to netrw again, then to
file1). Fortunately, the error message does not show any longer.

Best regards

Jean Johner

Re: Error in the management of the jump list when using File browser (windows or Linux)

Lech Lorens
On 24-Feb-2010 Jean Johner <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> A still simpler case showing a problem with File browser and Ctrl-O/
> Ctrl-I
>
> Suppress the ~/(.,_)viminfo file.
>
> Type vim test1 (file1 opens at line 1)
> Type :e . (The file browser opens at line 8 OK)
> Type Ctrl-O twice (Return to file1, OK)
> Type Ctrl-I (Return to File browser, OK)
> Type Ctrl-O (Nothing happens, not OK)
> Type Ctrl-O: error message E19 : Mark has invalid line number, not OK
>
> Best regards
>
> Jean Johner

This is partly the fault of :keepjumps not being respected for the :put
command used in the Netrw plugin, partly the fault of Netrw setting
marks (in Gdb I found "mark '" being executed) while producing
a directory listing.

I already sent a patch solving the first problem.

I don't know if it is essential for Netrw to set the ' mark, but it
seems that it messes up the jump list when this list is being traversed
by pressing <C-o> or <C-i>. Maybe Charles Campbell could respond to my
accusation? ;-)

--
Cheers,
Lech

Lech Lorens wrote:

> On 24-Feb-2010 Jean Johner <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> A still simpler case showing a problem with File browser and Ctrl-O/
>> Ctrl-I
>>
>> Suppress the ~/(.,_)viminfo file.
>>
>> Type vim test1 (file1 opens at line 1)
>> Type :e . (The file browser opens at line 8 OK)
>> Type Ctrl-O twice (Return to file1, OK)
>> Type Ctrl-I (Return to File browser, OK)
>> Type Ctrl-O (Nothing happens, not OK)
>> Type Ctrl-O: error message E19 : Mark has invalid line number, not OK
>>
>> Best regards
>>
>> Jean Johner
>>

> This is partly the fault of :keepjumps not being respected for the :put
> command used in the Netrw plugin, partly the fault of Netrw setting
> marks (in Gdb I found "mark '" being executed) while producing
> a directory listing.
>
> I already sent a patch solving the first problem.
>
> I don't know if it is essential for Netrw to set the ' mark, but it
> seems that it messes up the jump list when this list is being traversed
> by pressing <C-o> or <C-i>. Maybe Charles Campbell could respond to my
> accusation? ;-)

Netrw does use and set the ' mark; however, I note that   :keepj mark '
protects the jump list.  I'll put that keepj in there with it.  What I
wish was that there was

  :lockjumps    (implemented with a counter; this command would
increment it)
  :unlockjumps (would decrement the counter; need an equivalent qty of
:unlockjumps to unlock the jumps, perhaps  :unlockjumps!  would reset
the jumplock counter and unlock the jumps)

instead of having to put  keepjumps all over the place.

Regards,
Chip Campbell

Re: Error in the management of the jump list when using File browser (windows or Linux)

Bram Moolenaar

Charles Campbell wrote:

> Lech Lorens wrote:
> > On 24-Feb-2010 Jean Johner <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> A still simpler case showing a problem with File browser and Ctrl-O/
> >> Ctrl-I
> >>
> >> Suppress the ~/(.,_)viminfo file.
> >>
> >> Type vim test1 (file1 opens at line 1)
> >> Type :e . (The file browser opens at line 8 OK)
> >> Type Ctrl-O twice (Return to file1, OK)
> >> Type Ctrl-I (Return to File browser, OK)
> >> Type Ctrl-O (Nothing happens, not OK)
> >> Type Ctrl-O: error message E19 : Mark has invalid line number, not OK
> >>
> >> Best regards
> >>
> >> Jean Johner
> >>

> > This is partly the fault of :keepjumps not being respected for the :put
> > command used in the Netrw plugin, partly the fault of Netrw setting
> > marks (in Gdb I found "mark '" being executed) while producing
> > a directory listing.
> >
> > I already sent a patch solving the first problem.
> >
> > I don't know if it is essential for Netrw to set the ' mark, but it
> > seems that it messes up the jump list when this list is being traversed
> > by pressing <C-o> or <C-i>. Maybe Charles Campbell could respond to my
> > accusation? ;-)
> >

> Netrw does use and set the ' mark; however, I note that   :keepj mark '
> protects the jump list.  I'll put that keepj in there with it.  What I
> wish was that there was
>
>   :lockjumps    (implemented with a counter; this command would
> increment it)
>   :unlockjumps (would decrement the counter; need an equivalent qty of
> :unlockjumps to unlock the jumps, perhaps  :unlockjumps!  would reset
> the jumplock counter and unlock the jumps)
>
> instead of having to put  keepjumps all over the place.

That has the problem that when something goes wrong and the
":unlockjumps" is not reached the editor doesn't work properly.

Perhaps we should support ":keepjumps! call DoTheWork()" ?

--
FATAL ERROR! SYSTEM HALTED! - Press any key to continue doing nothing.

Re: Error in the management of the jump list when using File browser (windows or Linux)

Jean Johner
Hello,
The situation is improving rapidly.
I just installed netrw v137o.
1) Using a .vimrc containing just the following line:
let g:netrw_fastbrowse = 2
and doing
gvim file1
:e. (netrw opens at line 1 with line ../ in grey OK)
click on file2 (file2 opens)
:e. (netrw opens at line file2 in grey OK)
click on file3 (file3 opens)
Now do CTRL-O several times:
netrw opens with file3 in grey (OK)
file2 opens
netrw opens with file2 in grey (OK)
file1 opens

The way back with CTRL-I is OK

For case 1), the behaviour is then perfect.

2) Using a .vimrc containing just the 2 following lines:
let g:netrw_fastbrowse = 2
let g:netrw_liststyle = 2
and doing
gvim file1
:e. (netrw opens at line 8 with the cursor on ../, why not on line 1)
click on file2 (file2 opens)
:e. (netrw opens at line 1 with the cursor at the beginning of the
line containing file2, why not on file2)
click on file3 (file3 opens)
Now do CTRL-O several times:
netrw opens at line 1 with the cursor on file3 (OK)
file2 opens
netrw opens at line 1 with the cursor on file2 (OK)
file1 opens

The way back with CTRL-I is OK

So just 2 little imperfections in case 2)

Best regards
Jean Johner

Re: Error in the management of the jump list when using File browser (windows or Linux)

Jean Johner
Error when opening more than 3 files with :e. (v138b) see below:

Using a .vimrc containing just the 2 following lines:
let g:netrw_fastbrowse = 2
let g:netrw_liststyle = 2
and doing
gvim file1
:e.
click on file2 (file2 opens)
:e.
click on file3 (file3 opens)
:e.
click on file4 (file4 opens)

Now do CTRL-O several times:
netrw opens at line 1 with the cursor on file4 (OK)
file3 opens
netrw opens at line 1 with the cursor on file3 (OK)
file2 opens
file1 opens

Conclusion: the jump before file1 with netrw with cursor on file2 has
vanished.

Remark: this does not occur with "let g:netrw_liststyle = 2" omitted
in .vimrc

Best regards

Jean Johner