Errors with macvim install - it looks like the installer was unable to create the 'vim' directory, and MacVim.app can't find the executable.

Errors with macvim install - it looks like the installer was unable to create the 'vim' directory, and MacVim.app can't find the executable.

Josiah B
please be patient with me, I'm new to mac and only moderately proficient in Linux/Unix systems (hopefully that does not last too long)

I tried installing macvim from Homebrew, but found that it ignored my rvm selected ruby and forced itself to compile against the system 1.8.7 ruby.  Since Homebrew is a package manage and it selects parts of the config for me, I decided to compile macvim from the source, which i cloned off of github.

The configure I ran was
./configure --with-features=huge --enable-rubyinterp --enable-pythoninterp --enable-python3interp --enable-perlinterp --enable-cscope --enable-multibyte --enable-tclinterp --enable-luainterp --enable-mzschemeinterp --enable-tclinterp

and then I ran make, which SUCCEEDED and then make install with no arguments

When I run $ open /Applications/MacVim.app/ I get the message:
The application cannot be opened because its executable is missing.

When I try to execute Applications/bin/Vim I get the following error
E254: Cannot allocate color Red
E254: Cannot allocate color White
E254: Cannot allocate color Blue
E254: Cannot allocate color Red
E254: Cannot allocate color Grey
E254: Cannot allocate color Blue
E254: Cannot allocate color Brown
E254: Cannot allocate color Brown
E254: Cannot allocate color SeaGreen
E254: Cannot allocate color SeaGreen
E254: Cannot allocate color Yellow
E254: Cannot allocate color Red
E254: Cannot allocate color Blue
E254: Cannot allocate color Magenta
E254: Cannot allocate color DarkCyan
E254: Cannot allocate color Black
E254: Cannot allocate color LightMagenta
E254: Cannot allocate color Grey
E254: Cannot allocate color Blue
E254: Cannot allocate color Magenta
E254: Cannot allocate color Red
E254: Cannot allocate color Yellow
E254: Cannot allocate color Black
E254: Cannot allocate color LightGrey
E254: Cannot allocate color DarkBlue
E254: Cannot allocate color Grey
E254: Cannot allocate color DarkBlue
E254: Cannot allocate color Grey
E254: Cannot allocate color DarkBlue
E254: Cannot allocate color LightGrey
E254: Cannot allocate color LightBlue
E254: Cannot allocate color LightMagenta
E254: Cannot allocate color Blue
E254: Cannot allocate color LightCyan
E254: Cannot allocate color LightGrey
E254: Cannot allocate color Grey90
E254: Cannot allocate color Grey90
E254: Cannot allocate color LightRed
E254: Cannot allocate color DarkGrey
E254: Cannot allocate color LightGrey
E254: Cannot allocate color Cyan
Error detected while processing /Users/<username omitted>/.vimrc:
line    4:
E484: Can't open file /Applications/bin/vim/runtime/syntax/syntax.vim

so I tried creating a vim folder in that dir to copy runtime over, but I got an error because apparently mac does not permit having a file and a folder named the same in a directory.

Re: Errors with macvim install - it looks like the installer was unable to create the 'vim' directory, and MacVim.app can't find the executable.

Björn Winckler
On Sat, Sep 28, 2013 at 8:11 PM, Josiah B wrote:

> please be patient with me, I'm new to mac and only moderately proficient in Linux/Unix systems (hopefully that does not last too long)
>
> I tried installing macvim from Homebrew, but found that it ignored my rvm selected ruby and forced itself to compile against the system 1.8.7 ruby.  Since Homebrew is a package manage and it selects parts of the config for me, I decided to compile macvim from the source, which i cloned off of github.
>
> The configure I ran was
> ./configure --with-features=huge --enable-rubyinterp --enable-pythoninterp --enable-python3interp --enable-perlinterp --enable-cscope --enable-multibyte --enable-tclinterp --enable-luainterp --enable-mzschemeinterp --enable-tclinterp
>
> and then I ran make, which SUCCEEDED and then make install with no arguments
>
> When I run $ open /Applications/MacVim.app/ I get the message:
> The application cannot be opened because its executable is missing.
>
> When I try to execute Applications/bin/Vim I get the following error
> E254: Cannot allocate color Red
> E254: Cannot allocate color White
> E254: Cannot allocate color Blue
> E254: Cannot allocate color Red
> E254: Cannot allocate color Grey
> E254: Cannot allocate color Blue
> E254: Cannot allocate color Brown
> E254: Cannot allocate color Brown
> E254: Cannot allocate color SeaGreen
> E254: Cannot allocate color SeaGreen
> E254: Cannot allocate color Yellow
> E254: Cannot allocate color Red
> E254: Cannot allocate color Blue
> E254: Cannot allocate color Magenta
> E254: Cannot allocate color DarkCyan
> E254: Cannot allocate color Black
> E254: Cannot allocate color LightMagenta
> E254: Cannot allocate color Grey
> E254: Cannot allocate color Blue
> E254: Cannot allocate color Magenta
> E254: Cannot allocate color Red
> E254: Cannot allocate color Yellow
> E254: Cannot allocate color Black
> E254: Cannot allocate color LightGrey
> E254: Cannot allocate color DarkBlue
> E254: Cannot allocate color Grey
> E254: Cannot allocate color DarkBlue
> E254: Cannot allocate color Grey
> E254: Cannot allocate color DarkBlue
> E254: Cannot allocate color LightGrey
> E254: Cannot allocate color LightBlue
> E254: Cannot allocate color LightMagenta
> E254: Cannot allocate color Blue
> E254: Cannot allocate color LightCyan
> E254: Cannot allocate color LightGrey
> E254: Cannot allocate color Grey90
> E254: Cannot allocate color Grey90
> E254: Cannot allocate color LightRed
> E254: Cannot allocate color DarkGrey
> E254: Cannot allocate color LightGrey
> E254: Cannot allocate color Cyan
> Error detected while processing /Users/<username omitted>/.vimrc:
> line    4:
> E484: Can't open file /Applications/bin/vim/runtime/syntax/syntax.vim
>
> so I tried creating a vim folder in that dir to copy runtime over, but I got an error because apparently mac does not permit having a file and a folder named the same in a directory.

It sounds like you've moved the Vim binary out of the MacVim.app
bundle which you must not do.

See [1] on how to build and install MacVim.

Björn

[1] https://github.com/b4winckler/macvim/wiki/Building