Esc key on gvim 7.2 does not work on windows XP

Esc key on gvim 7.2 does not work on windows XP

albert kao
The Esc key running on gvim 7.2 does not work on a windows XP Professional SP3 computer.
i.e. pressing the "Esc" key does not exit the current insert mode.
"Ctrl-[" does not work either.

The "Tab", "Delete" and "Backspace" keys work as expected.
Please help.
Thanks.

Re: Esc key on gvim 7.2 does not work on windows XP

Tim Chase
On 09/08/10 14:24, albert kao wrote:
> The Esc key running on gvim 7.2 does not work on a windows XP Professional
> SP3 computer.
> i.e. pressing the "Esc" key does not exit the current insert mode.
> "Ctrl-[" does not work either.

This sounds suspiciously like a mapping interfering.  First, try
starting vim with no startup processed:

   vim -u NONE

and see if you get the same behavior.

If so, check your various mappings:

   :map
   :map!

to see if something is mapped to <esc> or <c-[>

On Wed, Sep 8, 2010 at 4:09 PM, Tim Chase <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 09/08/10 14:24, albert kao wrote:
The Esc key running on gvim 7.2 does not work on a windows XP Professional
SP3 computer.
i.e. pressing the "Esc" key does not exit the current insert mode.
"Ctrl-[" does not work either.

This sounds suspiciously like a mapping interfering.  First, try starting vim with no startup processed:

 vim -u NONE

and see if you get the same behavior.

If so, check your various mappings:

 :map
 :map!

to see if something is mapped to <esc> or <c-[>

-tim

vim -u NONE
has no problem with the Esc key and

 :map
 :map!
do not see anything mapped to <esc> or <c-[> .

Please help.
Thanks.

Re: Esc key on gvim 7.2 does not work on windows XP

Gary Johnson-4
On 2010-09-08, albert kao wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 8, 2010 at 4:09 PM, Tim Chase <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>     On 09/08/10 14:24, albert kao wrote:
>
>         The Esc key running on gvim 7.2 does not work on a windows XP
>         Professional
>         SP3 computer.
>         i.e. pressing the "Esc" key does not exit the current insert mode.
>         "Ctrl-[" does not work either.
>

>     This sounds suspiciously like a mapping interfering.  First, try starting
>     vim with no startup processed:
>
>      vim -u NONE
>
>     and see if you get the same behavior.
>
>     If so, check your various mappings:
>
>      :map
>      :map!
>
>     to see if something is mapped to <esc> or <c-[>
>
>     -tim
>

> vim -u NONE
> has no problem with the Esc key and
>
>  :map
>  :map!
> do not see anything mapped to <esc> or <c-[> .

How about

    gvim -u NONE

?

Regards,
Gary

Re: Esc key on gvim 7.2 does not work on windows XP

Benjamin R. Haskell-8
On Wed, 8 Sep 2010, albert kao wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 8, 2010 at 4:09 PM, Tim Chase wrote:
>
>> On 09/08/10 14:24, albert kao wrote:
>>
>>> The Esc key running on gvim 7.2 does not work on a windows XP
>>> Professional SP3 computer.
>>> i.e. pressing the "Esc" key does not exit the current insert mode.
>>> "Ctrl-[" does not work either.
>>>

>> This sounds suspiciously like a mapping interfering.  First, try
>> starting vim with no startup processed:
>>
>>  vim -u NONE
>>
>> and see if you get the same behavior.
>>
>> If so, check your various mappings:
>>
>>  :map
>>  :map!
>>
>> to see if something is mapped to <esc> or <c-[>
>>
>> -tim
>>

> vim -u NONE
>
> has no problem with the Esc key and
>
> :map
> :map!
> do not see anything mapped to <esc> or <c-[> .

Is that in the 'no problem' (vim -u NONE) or the problematic case?

If 'vim -u NONE' works properly and 'vim' doesn't, you should look for
what mappings are different between the two.

To make the comparison easier, you can try:

vim -u NONE
:redir > ~/vimnone.map.txt
:silent! map
:silent! map!
:redir END

vim (start how you normally start it)
:redir > ~/vim.map.txt
:silent! map
:silent! map!
:redir END

(Then compare the vim and vimnone .map.txt files.)

--
Best,
Ben

Re: Esc key on gvim 7.2 does not work on windows XP

Nikolay Aleksandrovich Pavlov
присланное в 02:09:08 09 сентября 2010, Четверг,
отправитель Benjamin R. Haskell:

What you are trying to compare? Vim launched with -u NONE will not load any
plugins, so it obviously will not have any mappings and the only ouput will be
``No mapping found'' (perhaps there is typo in this message: Russian version
could be translated as ``No mappings found'', note the `s').

About checking for something mapped to escape: check the outputs of
    verbose map <ESC>
and
    verbose map! <ESC>
it will not show you so many mappings as ``map'' and ``map!'' does, but will
show where mappings were defined last. And does <C-v><Esc> successfully print
`^[' in either insert mode or command line?

Текст сообщения:

> On Wed, 8 Sep 2010, albert kao wrote:
> >>
> >> This sounds suspiciously like a mapping interfering.  First, try
> >>
> >> starting vim with no startup processed:
> >>  vim -u NONE
> >>
> >> and see if you get the same behavior.
> >>
> >> If so, check your various mappings:
> >>  :map
> >>  :map!
> >>
> >> to see if something is mapped to <esc> or <c-[>
> >>
> >> -tim
> >
> > vim -u NONE
> >
> > has no problem with the Esc key and
> >
> > :map
> > :map!
> >
> > do not see anything mapped to <esc> or <c-[> .
>
> Is that in the 'no problem' (vim -u NONE) or the problematic case?
>
> If 'vim -u NONE' works properly and 'vim' doesn't, you should look for
> what mappings are different between the two.
>
> To make the comparison easier, you can try:
>
> vim -u NONE
>
> :redir > ~/vimnone.map.txt
> :silent! map
> :silent! map!
> :redir END
>
> vim (start how you normally start it)
>
> :redir > ~/vim.map.txt
> :silent! map
> :silent! map!
> :redir END
>
> (Then compare the vim and vimnone .map.txt files.)

Re: Esc key on gvim 7.2 does not work on windows XP

Jürgen Krämer-4

albert kao wrote:
> The Esc key running on gvim 7.2 does not work on a windows XP Professional SP3 computer.
> i.e. pressing the "Esc" key does not exit the current insert mode.
> "Ctrl-[" does not work either.
>
> The "Tab", "Delete" and "Backspace" keys work as expected.

could it be that you started Vim in easy-mode? What does

  <C-O>:verbose set insertmode?

show?

Regards,
Jürgen

in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.     (Calvin)

Re: Esc key on gvim 7.2 does not work on windows XP

albert kao
On Thu, Sep 9, 2010 at 1:42 AM, Jürgen Krämer <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi,

albert kao wrote:
> The Esc key running on gvim 7.2 does not work on a windows XP Professional SP3 computer.
> i.e. pressing the "Esc" key does not exit the current insert mode.
> "Ctrl-[" does not work either.
>
> The "Tab", "Delete" and "Backspace" keys work as expected.

could it be that you started Vim in easy-mode? What does

 <C-O>:verbose set insertmode?

show?

Regards,
Jürgen

in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.     (Calvin)

You are right.
I started Vim in easy-mode by clicking the "gVim Easy" icon, which has this "Esc key problem".
I started Vim in a different mode by clicking the "gVim" icon, which do not have this "Esc key problem".
Problem is solved :).
Thank you!!!