External language commands in VIm

Yogesh Sharma-2

Hello,
As mentioned in VIM documentation, I can run perl/tcl commands in Vim.
But when i try to run any such command, then i get some error.

eg
I tried
:tcl set x 1
I got message "Sorry, this command is not implemented"

What do i need to do to implement these commands.

Regards
YogS

Re: External language commands in VIm

Jostein Berntsen
On 06.06.05,17:35, Yogesh Sharma wrote:

> Hello,
> As mentioned in VIM documentation, I can run perl/tcl commands in Vim.
> But when i try to run any such command, then i get some error.
>
> eg
> I tried
> :tcl set x 1
> I got message "Sorry, this command is not implemented"
>
> What do i need to do to implement these commands.

What about:

:!tcl set x 1

- Jostein

Jostein Berntsen <[hidden email]>

Re: External language commands in VIm

Bugzilla from peterp@stack.nl
Op maandag 6 juni 2005 14:05, schreef Yogesh Sharma:

> Hello,
> As mentioned in VIM documentation, I can run perl/tcl commands in Vim.
> But when i try to run any such command, then i get some error.
>
> eg
> I tried
>
> :tcl set x 1
>
> I got message "Sorry, this command is not implemented"
>
> What do i need to do to implement these commands.

Your version of vim does probably not support tcl

Take a look at the output of the version command (:version) and see if you can
find "+tcl" listed in the features list.

Regards,

Peter Palm

Re: External language commands in VIm

A.J.Mechelynck
Peter Palm wrote:

> Op maandag 6 juni 2005 14:05, schreef Yogesh Sharma:
>
>>Hello,
>>As mentioned in VIM documentation, I can run perl/tcl commands in Vim.
>>But when i try to run any such command, then i get some error.
>>
>>eg
>>I tried
>>
>>:tcl set x 1
>>
>>I got message "Sorry, this command is not implemented"
>>
>>What do i need to do to implement these commands.
>

> Your version of vim does probably not support tcl
>
> Take a look at the output of the version command (:version) and see if you can
> find "+tcl" listed in the features list.
>
> Regards,
>
> Peter Palm

... and if your ":version" listing includes "+tcl/dyn", then look lower
down in the same listing for the version of the required dynamic
library. For instance, my current 6.3 builds for W32 have:

Compilation: gcc -O3 -fomit-frame-pointer -freg-struct-return
-malign-double -fno-strength-reduce -DWIN32 -DHAVE_PATHDEF -DFEAT_BIG
-DWINVER=0x0400 -D_WIN32_WINNT=0x0400 -DFEAT_PERL -DDYNAMIC_PERL
-DDYNAMIC_PERL_DLL="perl58.dll" -DFEAT_PYTHON -DDYNAMIC_PYTHON
-DDYNAMIC_PYTHON_DLL="python24.dll" -DFEAT_RUBY -DDYNAMIC_RUBY
-DDYNAMIC_RUBY_DLL="msvcrt-ruby18.dll" -DDYNAMIC_RUBY_VER=18 -DFEAT_TCL
-DDYNAMIC_TCL -DDYNAMIC_TCL_DLL="tcl83.dll" -DDYNAMIC_GETTEXT
-DDYNAMIC_ICONV -DFEAT_MBYTE -DFEAT_MBYTE_IME -DDYNAMIC_IME
-DFEAT_CSCOPE -DFEAT_NETBEANS_INTG -DFEAT_OLE -DFEAT_GUI_W32
-DFEAT_CLIPBOARD -mcpu=i386 -march=i386 -Iproto
-I/cygdrive/c/Perl/lib/CORE -I/cygdrive/c/Python24/include
-I/cygdrive/c/ruby/lib/ruby/1.8/i386-mswin32 -I/cygdrive/c/ruby/include
-s -mno-cygwin

'-DDYNAMIC_TCL_DLL="tcl83.dll"' means this program will accept ":tcl"
statements if it can find "tcl83.dll", the DLL for TCL 8.3

Op dinsdag 7 juni 2005 07:22, schreef Yogesh Sharma:
>  Hello,
>
>  I was not able to find "+tcl", infact i could see "-tcl"
>
>  Wat do¬† i need to change "-tcl" to "+tcl" :-)

That can reconfigure your vim with --enable-tclinterp, and then recompile your
vim, or install another vim package which includes tcl.

What OS(+distro?) are you using/running?

Kind regards,

Peter Palm