Quantcast

Feature request: Display partial paragraph at the top of the window.

Feature request: Display partial paragraph at the top of the window.

Szabolcs Horvát

A feature request:

Currently Vim can display partial long lines (paragraphs) at the
bottom of the window if display=lastline is set.  I would love to see
it do this at the top as well.  This is what I mean:

Suppose we have (view it with fixed width fonts):

+------------------------------+
|Some text here ...            |
|                              |
|This is a very very very very |
|very very very very very very |
|very very very very very very |
|very very very very very very |
|very very very very very very |
|very very very very very very |
|very very very very very very |
|very very very very very very |
|very very long line.          |
|                              |
|Some more text here.          |
+------------------------------+

I would like to put the editor window into this state, without
inserting any hard line-breaks into that long line:

+------------------------------+
|very very very very very very |
|very very very very very very |
|very very very very very very |
|very very very very very very |
|very very very very very very |
|very very very very very very |
|very very long line.          |
|                              |
|Some more text here.          |
|Inserting more text ...       |
|                              |
|                              |
|                              |
+------------------------------+

At the moment a long paragraph goes completely off screen as soon as I
scroll down.

This would be useful for editing "normal" text (not program code),
like TeX, HTML, plain text etc.  I like to see the previous paragraph
as I am typing the current one.  Inserting hard line breaks is an
annoyance because of the need for constant reformatting, and because
other people usually mess up the line breaks when I give them the file
to edit.

Virtually all other editors (including Windows Notepad) can display
partial paragraphs.

Re: Feature request: Display partial paragraph at the top of the window.

Andy Wokula

Szabolcs schrieb:

> A feature request:
>
> Currently Vim can display partial long lines (paragraphs) at the
> bottom of the window if display=lastline is set.  I would love to see
> it do this at the top as well.  This is what I mean:
>
> Suppose we have (view it with fixed width fonts):
>
> +------------------------------+
> |Some text here ...            |
> |                              |
> |This is a very very very very |
> |very very very very very very |
> |very very very very very very |
> |very very very very very very |
> |very very very very very very |
> |very very very very very very |
> |very very very very very very |
> |very very very very very very |
> |very very long line.          |
> |                              |
> |Some more text here.          |
> +------------------------------+
>
> I would like to put the editor window into this state, without
> inserting any hard line-breaks into that long line:
>
> +------------------------------+
> |very very very very very very |
> |very very very very very very |
> |very very very very very very |
> |very very very very very very |
> |very very very very very very |
> |very very very very very very |
> |very very long line.          |
> |                              |
> |Some more text here.          |
> |Inserting more text ...       |
> |                              |
> |                              |
> |                              |
> +------------------------------+
>
> At the moment a long paragraph goes completely off screen as soon as I
> scroll down.
>
> This would be useful for editing "normal" text (not program code),
> like TeX, HTML, plain text etc.  I like to see the previous paragraph
> as I am typing the current one.  Inserting hard line breaks is an
> annoyance because of the need for constant reformatting, and because
> other people usually mess up the line breaks when I give them the file
> to edit.
>
> Virtually all other editors (including Windows Notepad) can display
> partial paragraphs.

VIM HATES LONG LINES, didn't you know?

--
Andy

btw: I always wanted that feature too, but it's a good occasion to give
other editors a try ;-)
btw: We love Vim, because it's different!

Re: Feature request: Display partial paragraph at the top of the window.

Bernhard Walle

* Andy Wokula <[hidden email]> [2007-10-21 12:56]:

> > Virtually all other editors (including Windows Notepad) can display
> > partial paragraphs.
>
> VIM HATES LONG LINES, didn't you know?

Not only vim. ;)

       Bern'hates long lines, too'hard
--
At least Microsoft offers updates to keep your selection of bugs fresh.
        -- Alan Shutko, hating Corel even more, in asr

On Oct 21, 12:56 pm, Andy Wokula <[hidden email]> wrote:

> btw: I always wanted that feature too, but it's a good occasion to give
> other editors a try ;-)

I'd rather not.  I've already invested a lot of time into learning
Vim, and I'm sure other editors have their own problems too.

> btw: We love Vim, because it's different!

Re: Feature request: Display partial paragraph at the top of the window.

Szabolcs Horvát

On Oct 21, 12:56 pm, Andy Wokula <[hidden email]> wrote:

> VIM HATES LONG LINES, didn't you know?

So does this mean that there is some fundamental limitation in Vim's
design that makes this feature difficult to implement?  Is all hope
lost?

Re: Feature request: Display partial paragraph at the top of the window.

Ben Schmidt

>> VIM HATES LONG LINES, didn't you know?
>
> So does this mean that there is some fundamental limitation in Vim's
> design that makes this feature difficult to implement?  Is all hope
> lost?

No, all hope is certainly not lost. Vim can definitely deal with the display
beginning part way through a line, as it can deal with lines that are larger than
a screenful and scroll the screen through them. So there's at least some of the
functionality there, and adding a bit more shouldn't be too amazingly hard. I too
am interested in this feature so will try to have a look through Vim's source code
at some stage and see if I can work anything out. But this is unlikely to be quick.

Ben.

On Oct 23, 1:49 am, Ben Schmidt <[hidden email]> wrote:

> No, all hope is certainly not lost. Vim can definitely deal with the display
> beginning part way through a line, as it can deal with lines that are larger than
> a screenful and scroll the screen through them. So there's at least some of the
> functionality there, and adding a bit more shouldn't be too amazingly hard. I too
> am interested in this feature so will try to have a look through Vim's source code
> at some stage and see if I can work anything out. But this is unlikely to be quick.

Ben, Thank you for the reply, and for considering this change! :-)