Feature request: Monospaced ligatures for advanced programming fonts

Feature request: Monospaced ligatures for advanced programming fonts

Ian Tuomi
Hi,

I recently made a monospaced programming font with (monospaced) ligature glyphs. While monospaced editors usually don't need ligatures, I really feel that in this case they do add value. For a better idea of what I mean, check the repository here: https://github.com/i-tu/hasklig

By reversing https://github.com/b4winckler/macvim/commit/8c8db3cd4cb094535ecb0254a7fb2e15be31d4fd, I was able to successfully build and get the ligatures to work in ATSUI rendering mode, but the advancement for rendering subsequent characters got borked.

Thanks for all the good work!
-Ian

Re: Feature request: Monospaced ligatures for advanced programming fonts

Björn Winckler
On Mon, Apr 21, 2014 at 12:02 AM, Ian Tuomi wrote:

> I recently made a monospaced programming font with (monospaced) ligature glyphs. While monospaced editors usually don't need ligatures, I really feel that in this case they do add value. For a better idea of what I mean, check the repository here: https://github.com/i-tu/hasklig
>
> By reversing https://github.com/b4winckler/macvim/commit/8c8db3cd4cb094535ecb0254a7fb2e15be31d4fd, I was able to successfully build and get the ligatures to work in ATSUI rendering mode, but the advancement for rendering subsequent characters got borked.
>
> Thanks for all the good work!
> -Ian

I tried it out as well and ran into the same problem.  For the moment
you'll have to resort to using the "conceal" feature instead.

Björn

Re: Feature request: Monospaced ligatures for advanced programming fonts

Ian Tuomi
Would it be easy to detect wide ligatures change the advancement as needed?

I tried to work on that, but got a bit lost in code. If you point me in the right direction I'd be happy to try to implement that.

Ian