File not written: Writing is disabled by 'write' option

File not written: Writing is disabled by 'write' option

R Sam
Hi folks,

I have very recently started getting a "write" problem with my vim
sessions. I have not hit this issue before and was wondering if any
of you have seen this.

I have multiple files open (including Taglist window from taglist plugin) and
editing, when all of a sudden when I try to save the current buffer, I get
the following error message:

E142: File not written: Writing is disabled by 'write' option

Then for some reason after doing a lot of things I can successfully
write that file again. It is happening more often now, so I thought of
asking on the group.

Somebody, please help!
Thanks,
-Sam

Re: File not written: Writing is disabled by 'write' option

A.J.Mechelynck
> I have very recently started getting a "write" problem with my vim
> sessions. I have not hit this issue before and was wondering if any
> of you have seen this.
>
> I have multiple files open (including Taglist window from taglist plugin)
> and
> editing, when all of a sudden when I try to save the current buffer, I get
> the following error message:
>
> E142: File not written: Writing is disabled by 'write' option
>
> Then for some reason after doing a lot of things I can successfully
> write that file again. It is happening more often now, so I thought of
> asking on the group.
>
> Somebody, please help!
> Thanks,
> -Sam

Next time you get that E142 message, try

    :verbose set write?

(with the question mark). That should tell you where 'nowrite' was set.