First ten steps of Vim stairway to heaven

First ten steps of Vim stairway to heaven

Hiroshi Iwatani
Starting from beginner to reach a sophomore intermediate level, what
would be the ten steps, each of which might contain two to four related
skill items, of Vim learning path?

I'd like to write a Vim introductory book, in Japanese, based on your
opinions and suggestions.

Thanks a lot in advance!

--
Hiroshi Iwatani: http://homepage1.nifty.com/algafield/

*stop cruelty* Annual number of institutionally euthanized cats and dogs
including kittens and puppies: US 5 million, JP 500 thousand. How about
your country? *for our better karma*
---------------------

Re: First ten steps of Vim stairway to heaven

Marian Csontos
On Wed, 01 Feb 2006 11:52:36 +0100, Hiroshi Iwatani <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Starting from beginner to reach a sophomore intermediate level, what
> would be the ten steps, each of which might contain two to four related
> skill items, of Vim learning path?
>
> I'd like to write a Vim introductory book, in Japanese, based on your
> opinions and suggestions.
>
> Thanks a lot in advance!

Ufff, hard to say.
I consider regular expressions as a key feature of vim. Kind of a must
have.
Can't live without mappings and abbreviations, registers.
vim scripting language is very useful and powerful too, but may be behind
book's content, instead of it I'd mention some important plugins.

And rest is all about ``mastering keyboard'': learn first important
keystrokes in different modes, drill them. And constantly searching
manual, wondering on every feature implemented already you were looking
for for a long time.

And of course many realy important options.

I'm unable to sort it by importance/lesson...

Marian Csontos

________ Information from NOD32 ________
  part000.txt - is OK
http://www.nod32.com

Re: First ten steps of Vim stairway to heaven

Anatoli Sakhnik-2
Hello!

Why is there ten steps to reach the mastery? As of me, the only three
steps would be enough:
1) complete the vimtutor in any language;
2) study the user manual reference by Bram Moolenaar, which is
included in standard distribution (:help usr_??.txt);
3) practise everywhere and all the time.

When seriously, I believe the right order of teaching is given in the
user manual: principles, movements, modes, insert mode, normal mode
commands, etc.

-- Anatoli Sakhnik

On 01/02/06, Hiroshi Iwatani <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Starting from beginner to reach a sophomore intermediate level, what
> would be the ten steps, each of which might contain two to four related
> skill items, of Vim learning path?
>
> I'd like to write a Vim introductory book, in Japanese, based on your
> opinions and suggestions.
>
> Thanks a lot in advance!
>
> --
> Hiroshi Iwatani: http://homepage1.nifty.com/algafield/
>
> *stop cruelty* Annual number of institutionally euthanized cats and dogs
> including kittens and puppies: US 5 million, JP 500 thousand. How about
> your country? *for our better karma*
> ---------------------

Re: First ten steps of Vim stairway to heaven

Benji Fisher
On Wed, Feb 01, 2006 at 07:52:36PM +0900, Hiroshi Iwatani wrote:
> Starting from beginner to reach a sophomore intermediate level, what
> would be the ten steps, each of which might contain two to four related
> skill items, of Vim learning path?
>
> I'd like to write a Vim introductory book, in Japanese, based on your
> opinions and suggestions.

     Decide for yourself what parts of the users' manual should be
included.

:help toc

I learned to use vim before the users' manual was written, so my
standard advice is based on other parts of the docs.  To reach the
beginner stage,

:help help

IMHO, :help is the single most important improvement over traditional
vi.

     To reach the sophomore level, read

:help change.txt
:help motion.txt

One of the great efficiencies of Normal mode is that if you learn 12
operators (d, c, y, g~, gU, gu, g?, <, >, !, =, gq) and 15 motions (say
h, j, k, l, w, e, b, (, ), {, }, gg, G, H, L) then you can do 12 * 15
operations.  Even better, you can use counts, as in c2w .

     To go further, you need to use regular expressions effectively, so
read

:help pattern.txt

(perhaps twice).

HTH --Benji Fisher

Re: First ten steps of Vim stairway to heaven

Hiroshi Iwatani
Great! Benji is always.
Thanks so much.