Fwd: Crashing Vim 7.4a9 snapshot 68 with folding

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
10 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Fwd: Crashing Vim 7.4a9 snapshot 68 with folding

Axel Kielhorn-2

Hi,

I usually build Vim from git source but tested the official (Snow Leopard) snapshot as well.
I'm on MacOS 10.6.8.

My compiler:
gcc --version
i686-apple-darwin10-gcc-4.2.1 (GCC) 4.2.1 (Apple Inc. build 5666) (dot 3)

(I can build on 10.8.4 using current xcode as well.)

When using the latest vim-pandoc
https://github.com/vim-pandoc/vim-pandoc

I can crash vim editing the following file:




Just go to the last line and open the fold (zo).

Or go to the line above, delete it
zo now works, but if you undo Vim crashes.

Using a different file with folding doesn't cause a problem.

I first thought it was a problem with my python and build a version without pythen, but the same crash.
I downloaded the official snapshot and get the same crash.
I went back several versions (7.3.1223 7.3.1214 and 7.3.1193) and get the same crash.
7.3.1193 compiled on 10.7 works fine on 10.8.5






The following file works fine:




The difference: I removed the lines containing [].

I hope this helps finding the bug.

Axel



--
--
You received this message from the "vim_mac" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_mac" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.



vimkill.md (3K) Download Attachment
Vim crashlog.txt (61K) Download Attachment
vimkill2.md (2K) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Fwd: Crashing Vim 7.4a9 snapshot 68 with folding

Bram Moolenaar

Axel Kielhorn wrote:

> I usually build Vim from git source but tested the official (Snow Leopard) snapshot as well.
> I'm on MacOS 10.6.8.
>
> My compiler:
> gcc --version
> i686-apple-darwin10-gcc-4.2.1 (GCC) 4.2.1 (Apple Inc. build 5666) (dot 3)
>
> (I can build on 10.8.4 using current xcode as well.)
>
> When using the latest vim-pandoc
> https://github.com/vim-pandoc/vim-pandoc
>
> I can crash vim editing the following file:

Thread 0 Crashed:  Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread
0   libSystem.B.dylib             0x00007fff840e50b6 __kill + 10
1   Vim                           0x00000001000efa5a mch_exit + 58
2   libSystem.B.dylib             0x00007fff840f71ba _sigtramp + 26
3   Vim                           0x0000000100108b8c addstate + 12
4   Vim                           0x000000010010927a addstate + 1786
5   Vim                           0x000000010010927a addstate + 1786
[etc.]

Looks like recursive use of addstate().  Does it run out of stack?
I don't know what _sigtramp is.

Could be a bug in the regexp engine.


--
DENNIS: Look,  strange women lying on their backs in ponds handing out
        swords ... that's no basis for a system of government.  Supreme
        executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some
        farcical aquatic ceremony.
                 "Monty Python and the Holy Grail" PYTHON (MONTY) PICTURES LTD

 /// Bram Moolenaar -- [hidden email] -- http://www.Moolenaar.net   \\\
///        sponsor Vim, vote for features -- http://www.Vim.org/sponsor/ \\\
\\\  an exciting new programming language -- http://www.Zimbu.org        ///
 \\\            help me help AIDS victims -- http://ICCF-Holland.org    ///

--
--
You received this message from the "vim_mac" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_mac" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Crashing Vim 7.4a9 snapshot 68 with folding

Axel Kielhorn-2

Am 14.07.2013 um 13:02 schrieb Bram Moolenaar:

>
> Axel Kielhorn wrote:
>
>> I usually build Vim from git source but tested the official (Snow Leopard) snapshot as well.
>> I'm on MacOS 10.6.8.
>>
>> My compiler:
>> gcc --version
>> i686-apple-darwin10-gcc-4.2.1 (GCC) 4.2.1 (Apple Inc. build 5666) (dot 3)
>>
>> (I can build on 10.8.4 using current xcode as well.)
>>
>> When using the latest vim-pandoc
>> https://github.com/vim-pandoc/vim-pandoc
>>
>> I can crash vim editing the following file:
>
> Thread 0 Crashed:  Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread
> 0   libSystem.B.dylib             0x00007fff840e50b6 __kill + 10
> 1   Vim                           0x00000001000efa5a mch_exit + 58
> 2   libSystem.B.dylib             0x00007fff840f71ba _sigtramp + 26
> 3   Vim                           0x0000000100108b8c addstate + 12
> 4   Vim                           0x000000010010927a addstate + 1786
> 5   Vim                           0x000000010010927a addstate + 1786
> [etc.]
>
> Looks like recursive use of addstate().  Does it run out of stack?
> I don't know what _sigtramp is.
>
> Could be a bug in the regexp engine.

I downloaded snapshot 66 which is Vim 7.3.754 and it doesn't crash.

I rebuild Vim 7.3.754 with my current compiler and it crashed.

Any idea where to look?

The last Xcode update was in March 2011

That was before snapshot 66 was build
(2010 Aug 15, compiled Dec 13 2012 00:07:34)

Axel

--
--
You received this message from the "vim_mac" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_mac" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Crashing Vim 7.4a9 snapshot 68 with folding

Axel Kielhorn-2

Another datapoint:

I build Vim 7.4a9 on MacOS 10.8 with

gcc --version
i686-apple-darwin11-llvm-gcc-4.2 (GCC) 4.2.1 (Based on Apple Inc. build 5658) (LLVM build 2336.11.00)

No problems here.

On 10.6 I have

gcc --version
i686-apple-darwin10-gcc-4.2.1 (GCC) 4.2.1 (Apple Inc. build 5666) (dot 3)

Axel

--
--
You received this message from the "vim_mac" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_mac" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Crashing Vim 7.4a9 snapshot 68 with folding

Axel Kielhorn-2

Am 14.07.2013 um 18:12 schrieb Axel Kielhorn:

>
> Another datapoint:
>
> I build Vim 7.4a9 on MacOS 10.8 with
>
> gcc --version
> i686-apple-darwin11-llvm-gcc-4.2 (GCC) 4.2.1 (Based on Apple Inc. build 5658) (LLVM build 2336.11.00)
>
> No problems here.
>
> On 10.6 I have
>
> gcc --version
> i686-apple-darwin10-gcc-4.2.1 (GCC) 4.2.1 (Apple Inc. build 5666) (dot 3)

And another one:

Xcode 3.2.6 (The last version compatible with MacOS 10.6) comes with regular gcc 4.2.1 and

llvm-gcc-4.2 --version
i686-apple-darwin10-llvm-gcc-4.2 (GCC) 4.2.1 (Based on Apple Inc. build 5658) (LLVM build 2335.6)

With

./configure CC=llvm-gcc-4.2

the resulting Vim 7.3.754 does not crash.

I'll build 7.4a9 probably tomorrow.

Axel

--
--
You received this message from the "vim_mac" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_mac" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Crashing Vim 7.4a9 snapshot 68 with folding

Axel Kielhorn-2

Am 14.07.2013 um 19:50 schrieb Axel Kielhorn:

>
> Am 14.07.2013 um 18:12 schrieb Axel Kielhorn:
>
>>
>> Another datapoint:
>>
>> I build Vim 7.4a9 on MacOS 10.8 with
>>
>> gcc --version
>> i686-apple-darwin11-llvm-gcc-4.2 (GCC) 4.2.1 (Based on Apple Inc. build 5658) (LLVM build 2336.11.00)
>>
>> No problems here.
>>
>> On 10.6 I have
>>
>> gcc --version
>> i686-apple-darwin10-gcc-4.2.1 (GCC) 4.2.1 (Apple Inc. build 5666) (dot 3)
>
> And another one:
>
> Xcode 3.2.6 (The last version compatible with MacOS 10.6) comes with regular gcc 4.2.1 and
>
> llvm-gcc-4.2 --version
> i686-apple-darwin10-llvm-gcc-4.2 (GCC) 4.2.1 (Based on Apple Inc. build 5658) (LLVM build 2335.6)
>
> With
>
> ./configure CC=llvm-gcc-4.2
>
> the resulting Vim 7.3.754 does not crash.

Build with llvm-gcc-4.2

7.3.1168 works fine
7.3.1184 works fine

There are some changes to the regex engine.

7.3.1193 crash
7.3.1214 crash

That's definitely all for today,
I'm gonna watch football:-)

Axel


--
--
You received this message from the "vim_mac" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_mac" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Crashing Vim 7.4a9 snapshot 68 with folding

Axel Kielhorn-2
Update:

As I have written earlier, the crash was introduced with
Vim 7.3.1185.

And here is the RegEx that causes the crash:

syn match pandocPCite /@\%[\w\-]*/

It is part of the citation handling code in ~/.vim/syntax/pandoc.vim
from vim-pandoc.


" Citations:
" parenthetical citations
syn match pandocPCite /\[-\{0,1}@.\{-}\]/ contains=pandocEmphasis,pandocStrong,pandocLatex,@Spell
" syn match pandocPCite /\[\w.\{-}\s-\?.\{-}\]/ contains=pandocEmphasis,pandocStrong
" in-text citations without location

" syn match pandocPCite /@\%[\w\-]*/

" in-text citations with location
syn match pandocPCite /@\w*\s\[.\{-}\]/

Axel

--
--
You received this message from the "vim_mac" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_mac" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Crashing Vim 7.4a9 snapshot 68 with folding

Bram Moolenaar

Axel Kielhorn wrote:

> Update:
>
> As I have written earlier, the crash was introduced with
> Vim 7.3.1185.
>
> And here is the RegEx that causes the crash:
>
> syn match pandocPCite /@\%[\w\-]*/
>
> It is part of the citation handling code in ~/.vim/syntax/pandoc.vim
> from vim-pandoc.

It doesn't crash for me.  What text does it crash on?  If you can make
it happen with match() that would be ideal.

> The change was adding
>
> && *reginput != NUL
>
> to regexp_nfa.c (line 3942)

Do you have a context diff for this change?


--
In many of the more relaxed civilizations on the Outer Eastern Rim of the
Galaxy, "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" has already supplanted the
great "Encyclopedia Galactica" as the standard repository of all knowledge
and wisdom, for though it has many omissions and contains much that is
apocryphal, or at least wildly inaccurate, it scores over the older, more
pedestrian work in two important respects.
First, it is slightly cheaper; and second, it has the words "DON'T PANIC"
inscribed in large friendly letters on its cover.
                -- Douglas Adams, "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy"

 /// Bram Moolenaar -- [hidden email] -- http://www.Moolenaar.net   \\\
///        sponsor Vim, vote for features -- http://www.Vim.org/sponsor/ \\\
\\\  an exciting new programming language -- http://www.Zimbu.org        ///
 \\\            help me help AIDS victims -- http://ICCF-Holland.org    ///

--
--
You received this message from the "vim_mac" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_mac" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Crashing Vim 7.4a9 snapshot 68 with folding

Axel Kielhorn-2

Am 29.07.2013 um 22:15 schrieb Bram Moolenaar:

>
> Axel Kielhorn wrote:
>
>> Update:
>>
>> As I have written earlier, the crash was introduced with
>> Vim 7.3.1185.
>>
>> And here is the RegEx that causes the crash:
>>
>> syn match pandocPCite /@\%[\w\-]*/
>>
>> It is part of the citation handling code in ~/.vim/syntax/pandoc.vim
>> from vim-pandoc.
>
> It doesn't crash for me.  
It crashes on Mac OS 10.6.8 but not 10.8.4, this may be compiler or library related.

> What text does it crash on?  

[@pandoc]

in the second line.


> If you can make
> it happen with match() that would be ideal.

If I start vim with
mvim -u NONE -U NONE vimkill3.md

and enter (copy) the search string

/@\%[\w\-]*

I get a crash.

without the * it's fine.

With incsearch on I get the crash as soon as I type the final *

Using
/@[a-zA-Z-]*

is fine

>
>> The change was adding
>>
>> && *reginput != NUL
>>
>> to regexp_nfa.c (line 3942)
>
> Do you have a context diff for this change?

Sourcetree gives me
Commit: 38388a218e4bc1dbc0475df3d74244034b669b73[38388a2]


  case NFA_BOL:
  case NFA_BOF:
     /* "^" won't match past end-of-line, don't bother trying.
-     * Except when we are going to the next line for a look-behind
-     * match. */
+     * Except when at the end of the line, or when we are going to the
+     * next line for a look-behind match. */
     if (reginput > regline
+    && *reginput != NUL
     && (nfa_endp == NULL
  || !REG_MULTI
  || reglnum == nfa_endp->se_u.pos.lnum))

The enclosed file is even more reduced but shows the problem.

Axel

--
--
You received this message from the "vim_mac" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_mac" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.



vimkill3.md (417 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Crashing Vim 7.4a9 snapshot 68 with folding

Bram Moolenaar

Axel Kielhorn wrote:

> >> Update:
> >>
> >> As I have written earlier, the crash was introduced with
> >> Vim 7.3.1185.
> >>
> >> And here is the RegEx that causes the crash:
> >>
> >> syn match pandocPCite /@\%[\w\-]*/
> >>
> >> It is part of the citation handling code in ~/.vim/syntax/pandoc.vim
> >> from vim-pandoc.
> >
> > It doesn't crash for me.  
>
> It crashes on Mac OS 10.6.8 but not 10.8.4, this may be compiler or library related.
>
> > What text does it crash on?  
>
> [@pandoc]
>
> in the second line.
>
>
> > If you can make
> > it happen with match() that would be ideal.
>
> If I start vim with
> mvim -u NONE -U NONE vimkill3.md
>
> and enter (copy) the search string
>
> /@\%[\w\-]*
>
> I get a crash.
>
> without the * it's fine.
>
> With incsearch on I get the crash as soon as I type the final *
>
> Using
> /@[a-zA-Z-]*
>
> is fine
>
> >
> >> The change was adding
> >>
> >> && *reginput != NUL
> >>
> >> to regexp_nfa.c (line 3942)
> >
> > Do you have a context diff for this change?
>
> Sourcetree gives me
> Commit: 38388a218e4bc1dbc0475df3d74244034b669b73[38388a2]
>
>
>   case NFA_BOL:
>   case NFA_BOF:
>      /* "^" won't match past end-of-line, don't bother trying.
> -     * Except when we are going to the next line for a look-behind
> -     * match. */
> +     * Except when at the end of the line, or when we are going to the
> +     * next line for a look-behind match. */
>      if (reginput > regline
> +    && *reginput != NUL
>      && (nfa_endp == NULL
>   || !REG_MULTI
>   || reglnum == nfa_endp->se_u.pos.lnum))
>
> The enclosed file is even more reduced but shows the problem.

Thanks, I'll look into it.

--
Tips for aliens in New York: Land anywhere.  Central Park, anywhere.
No one will care or indeed even notice.
                -- Douglas Adams, "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy"

 /// Bram Moolenaar -- [hidden email] -- http://www.Moolenaar.net   \\\
///        sponsor Vim, vote for features -- http://www.Vim.org/sponsor/ \\\
\\\  an exciting new programming language -- http://www.Zimbu.org        ///
 \\\            help me help AIDS victims -- http://ICCF-Holland.org    ///

--
--
You received this message from the "vim_mac" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_mac" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [hidden email].
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.