Fwd: i want more, gimme * 3

felipevaldez
I have noticed a pattern, among vim users, and software users in general,
 that some users always want more functions, features, and
improvements, from a given piece of software,

 i would like to point out that, such necesity, is not necesarily a
bad thing, however, to me its kinda frustrating (even tough, i have
nothing to do with vim development, nor i help vim developers in any
way, other than using gvim 6.3 (if that counts as help)), when i see
users typing their never ending list of features,

 for instance,

 i want vim to do the work for me,
 i want it to be my shell,
 i want to read email from it,
 i want it to send an email to my boss every so often, that
articulately explains how hard i need/deserve a raise.
 i want it to be compatible with/run in  my atari 2600
 i want it to autimagicly fix every programming mistake i mistype.
 i want it to be free, no better yet, i want to be paid for using it.

 And so the endless whish list goes on and on, like there was some
kind of fairy that would wave her wand arround, to add C lines on the
current  version on the CVS, and would compile (successfully) the
whole thing too .

 wouldnt it be nice, if at some point, some one said something like
"this editor is very complete, thank you guys", or
 "gee, ill never end learing all the stuff you gave away in this release!"

 i think that most software users are and will always be hungry for
more and more, and  would not like to see the day when they ship "GVIM
OS 20", (now 128 bit compatible),

 any thoughts?

//f3l
http://www.geocities.com/kyoosho/

Re: Fwd: i want more, gimme * 3

Steve Hall-4

This is what Vim script is for. Make Vim into what you want.

IMO, Vim needs to be only a capable, lightweight text editor, as long as the framework provides a means to extend it as far as these users want. (And I am probably as guilty as anyone for making script stand on its head. :)

Re: i want more, gimme * 3

Chris Allen
On 10/10/05, f3l <[hidden email]> wrote:
>  i would like to point out that, such necesity, is not necesarily a
> bad thing, however, to me its kinda frustrating (even tough, i have
> nothing to do with vim development, nor i help vim developers in any
> way, other than using gvim 6.3 (if that counts as help)), when i see
> users typing their never ending list of features,

As any developer knows, though, no program is ever done, only ever
abandoned.  And no one knows that better than the developers.  When it
comes to my projects I am always pleased to hear bug reports and
feature requests -- better that someone other than myself should use
it then I should engage in the vanity of development for only myself.
Often these are the surest sign that one's work is being appreciated
by at least someone else.

Of course, one could receive mail saying that a piece of one's
software is rubbish.  That may seem harsh, but I would rather receive
mail to that effect than none at all.  If someone complains then fixes
can be made, or, if it is a misunderstanding on the user's part they
can be enlightened.  Even if nothing can be done it beats having
someone go off and tell the world how poor your software is behind
your back.

>  wouldnt it be nice, if at some point, some one said something like
> "this editor is very complete, thank you guys", or
>  "gee, ill never end learing all the stuff you gave away in this release!"

With Vim we have two options for showing our appreciation (other than
gushing praise via e-mail) -- one is to support Bram's chosen charity,
the Kibaale Children's Centre in Uganda, and the other is to sponsor
Bram for Vim development.  I think he has done quite well with his
selection there -- a charity and an investment in the future.  Of
course, even one of his chosen methods of appreciation acknowledges
the truth that a program is never finished.  Hopefully Bram, and
everyone else who contributes, is well aware that their efforts are
greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Chris Allen

Re: i want more, gimme * 3

jose isaias cabrera-2

What? :-)

The reason why we want more is because the world is in a constant change.
Think about it.  Most of us, are settled in doing something in a different
way.  Sometimes when I see some of the posts in here I ask myself, "why does
this guy wants this?"  And then I am remembered by the words of my 'abuelo'
(grand-father), whom also past to my father, who has, probably already past
to me, when he said, "m'hijo, hay muchas manera de hacer una cosa.  Cada
cual con lo suya." Which translate to, "m'son, there are many ways of doing
something.  Everyone with their own."  And so, I say, thanks for vim, but we
all have ways of doing things and so, I say, the more options we have, the
better. :-)

I do agree with you, we're never thankful.  We're always wanting more and
forget about giving thanks for what we actually have.

Thanks vim.org!

jos?