GPL version

Steve Litt
Hi all,

Could someone check our copyright and see whether it says "GPL version 2", or
"GPL version 2 or later, at the users discression". Speaking for the stuff I
authored, my intent was GPL 2 only, because obviously I had no way of knowing
what GPL 3 would say. If possible, I'd like all of VO to remain GPL V2 only,
until all the arguments and discussions about GPL v3 clear up. I've heard
that GPL version 3 is problematic.

SteveT

Steve Litt
Author:
   * Universal Troubleshooting Process courseware
   * Troubleshooting Techniques of the Successful Technologist
   * Manager's Guide to Technical Troubleshooting
   * Twenty Eight Tales of Troubleshooting
   * Rapid Learning: Secret Weapon of the Successful Technologist

http://www.troubleshooters.com/bookstore
http://www.troubleshooters.com/utp/tcourses.htm

Re: GPL version

Charles Burkins
This is what the license file says on my computer:

LICENSE

     VimOutliner
     Copyright (C) 2001, 2003 by Steve Litt
     Copyright (C) 2004 by Noel Henson
     Licensed under the GNU General Public License (GPL), version 2
     Absolutely no warranty.

     If your distro doesn't come with this file
         HTML: http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl.html
         Text: http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl.txt

I personally am going to wait to see whether the GPL v3 says before I
have an opinion one way or the other, but it looks to me like vo is
under GPL v2.

-burk

On Tuesday 24 October 2006 05:58 am, Charles Burkins wrote:

> This is what the license file says on my computer:

> LICENSE
>
>      VimOutliner
>      Copyright (C) 2001, 2003 by Steve Litt
>      Copyright (C) 2004 by Noel Henson
>      Licensed under the GNU General Public License (GPL), version 2
>      Absolutely no warranty.
>
>      If your distro doesn't come with this file
>          HTML: http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl.html
>          Text: http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl.txt

Excellent! I'd like to suggest that we continue to specify only GPL 2.0 until
the final GPL and then see whether problems come up. Once GPL 3.0 gets a
track record, we can decide whether to move forward with 3.0, whether to stay
with 2.0, or whether to move to yet another license.

SteveT