Quantcast

Getting Started

Robert Koehler
Please assume there is an Idiots Guide for VIM. What would it filled with? I am completely new. All I know is how to access VIM through the terminal.

Re: Getting Started

Tony Mechelynck
On Wednesday, March 22, 2017 at 1:49:16 AM UTC+1, Robert Koehler wrote:
> Please assume there is an Idiots Guide for VIM. What would it filled with? I am completely new. All I know is how to access VIM through the terminal.

Simple: Install Vim on your system, then run the vimtutor program. It will present you with a series of lessons (extremely well-written IMHO) about how to use Vim.

Re: Getting Started

Nicola
On 22/03/2017 01:54, Tony Mechelynck wrote:
> On Wednesday, March 22, 2017 at 1:49:16 AM UTC+1, Robert Koehler wrote:
>> Please assume there is an Idiots Guide for VIM. What would it filled
>> with? I am completely new. All I know is how to access VIM through
>> the terminal.
>
> Simple: Install Vim on your system, then run the vimtutor program. It
> will present you with a series of lessons (extremely well-written
> IMHO) about how to use Vim.

I second that. I have found this guide to be pretty good, too:

     https://github.com/mhinz/vim-galore

Nicola

Re: Getting Started

On Wednesday, March 22, 2017 at 1:54:56 AM UTC+1, Tony Mechelynck wrote:
> On Wednesday, March 22, 2017 at 1:49:16 AM UTC+1, Robert Koehler wrote:
> > Please assume there is an Idiots Guide for VIM. What would it filled with? I am completely new. All I know is how to access VIM through the terminal.
>
> Simple: Install Vim on your system, then run the vimtutor program. It will present you with a series of lessons (extremely well-written IMHO) about how to use Vim.

P.S. There is also a gvimtutor but I don't know whether it can be used with macvim. (I think ir does, but I cannot check it because I'm not on a Mac.) If it can't, it shouls work with gvim for X11 but on a Mac this is much less practical.