Git clone of the Vim Mercurial repo

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Git clone of the Vim Mercurial repo

Björn Winckler
Hi,

I have set up a Git clone of the Vim Mercurial repo here [1] (complete
with instructions on how this was done [2]).

Why have I done this and won't this complicate things with yet another
repository?

Let me try to answer the second question first.  Thanks to the hg-git
extension it is possible to perform lossless conversions hg <-> git so
this repository really is just a clone of the hg repo.  If anybody
else were to go through the steps in [2] they'd end up with a
repository with identical commit IDs.  It is possible to clone [1]
using Mercurial or even pull select commits from [1] into a hg repo
that was a clone of Bram's hg repo.  What I am trying to say is: this
really is just a clone of Bram's hg repo but in Git format so there is
no extra complication - it provides a way for people to use Git
instead of Mercurial when working on Vim.

As for the first question: I created this Git clone so that I myself
may use Git when working on MacVim.  Anybody else using Git is welcome
to pull from it, or even set up their own Git clone using the
instructions [2].

There is one downside to pulling from [1] for your Vim development,
namely that it won't get updated immediately whenever Bram updates his
Mercurial repo.  I have to manually fetch new changesets and push them
to the Git repo.  If you'd rather avoid this delay but still use Git,
just set up your own Git clone [2].  Since the commit IDs will be the
same it is possible to push/pull from other people's Git clones even
if they've set up their own.

I hope some other people will find this information useful.

Björn

P.S. If somebody on this list knows a better way to update the repo
than the method outlined in [2] please let me know (as it is I have to
manually delete/re-add all bookmarks after a fetch in order for any
new changesets to be pushed).


[1] http://github.com/b4winckler/vim
[2] http://wiki.github.com/b4winckler/vim/

--
You received this message from the "vim_dev" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Git clone of the Vim Mercurial repo

Bram Moolenaar

Björn Winckler wrote:

> I have set up a Git clone of the Vim Mercurial repo here [1] (complete
> with instructions on how this was done [2]).

Nice.  Do you also have a page for how to use this?  I could link that
from the Vim pages.  The link you gave with [1] does not say how to pull
from the repository.

> Why have I done this and won't this complicate things with yet another
> repository?
>
> Let me try to answer the second question first.  Thanks to the hg-git
> extension it is possible to perform lossless conversions hg <-> git so
> this repository really is just a clone of the hg repo.  If anybody
> else were to go through the steps in [2] they'd end up with a
> repository with identical commit IDs.  It is possible to clone [1]
> using Mercurial or even pull select commits from [1] into a hg repo
> that was a clone of Bram's hg repo.  What I am trying to say is: this
> really is just a clone of Bram's hg repo but in Git format so there is
> no extra complication - it provides a way for people to use Git
> instead of Mercurial when working on Vim.
>
> As for the first question: I created this Git clone so that I myself
> may use Git when working on MacVim.  Anybody else using Git is welcome
> to pull from it, or even set up their own Git clone using the
> instructions [2].
>
> There is one downside to pulling from [1] for your Vim development,
> namely that it won't get updated immediately whenever Bram updates his
> Mercurial repo.  I have to manually fetch new changesets and push them
> to the Git repo.  If you'd rather avoid this delay but still use Git,
> just set up your own Git clone [2].  Since the commit IDs will be the
> same it is possible to push/pull from other people's Git clones even
> if they've set up their own.
>
> I hope some other people will find this information useful.
>
> Björn
>
> P.S. If somebody on this list knows a better way to update the repo
> than the method outlined in [2] please let me know (as it is I have to
> manually delete/re-add all bookmarks after a fetch in order for any
> new changesets to be pushed).
>
>
> [1] http://github.com/b4winckler/vim
> [2] http://wiki.github.com/b4winckler/vim/

--
From "know your smileys":
 %-) After staring at screen for 15 hours

 /// Bram Moolenaar -- [hidden email] -- http://www.Moolenaar.net   \\\
///        sponsor Vim, vote for features -- http://www.Vim.org/sponsor/ \\\
\\\        download, build and distribute -- http://www.A-A-P.org        ///
 \\\            help me help AIDS victims -- http://ICCF-Holland.org    ///

--
You received this message from the "vim_dev" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Git clone of the Vim Mercurial repo

Björn Winckler
On 24 May 2010 11:52, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
>
> Björn Winckler wrote:
>
>> I have set up a Git clone of the Vim Mercurial repo here [1] (complete
>> with instructions on how this was done [2]).
>
> Nice.  Do you also have a page for how to use this?  I could link that
> from the Vim pages.  The link you gave with [1] does not say how to pull
> from the repository.

I have updated the docs [1] to show how to pull (using Git or
Mercurial) with a note on how to check out the vim73 branch (since I'm
guessing this is what most people want at the moment).  Is there
anything else worth mentioning on the wiki?

Björn

[1] http://wiki.github.com/b4winckler/vim/

--
You received this message from the "vim_dev" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Git clone of the Vim Mercurial repo

Bram Moolenaar

Björn Winckler wrote:

> I have updated the docs [1] to show how to pull (using Git or
> Mercurial) with a note on how to check out the vim73 branch (since I'm
> guessing this is what most people want at the moment).  Is there
> anything else worth mentioning on the wiki?

Thanks, I'll add a link to that.

--
From "know your smileys":
 :-D Big smile

 /// Bram Moolenaar -- [hidden email] -- http://www.Moolenaar.net   \\\
///        sponsor Vim, vote for features -- http://www.Vim.org/sponsor/ \\\
\\\        download, build and distribute -- http://www.A-A-P.org        ///
 \\\            help me help AIDS victims -- http://ICCF-Holland.org    ///

--
You received this message from the "vim_dev" maillist.
Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php