Got error when open MacVim from Finder

imcom
Hey guys, I got an error recently, when I use MacVim to open files in Finder. It states:
"Error detected while processing command line:"
"E486: Pattern not found: a string"
But this would not happen if I open the file in terminal by command "mvim"

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Re: Got error when open MacVim from Finder

Björn Winckler
On 7 November 2011 16:46, imcom wrote:
> Hey guys, I got an error recently, when I use MacVim to open files in
> Finder. It states:
> "Error detected while processing command line:"
> "E486: Pattern not found: a string"
> But this would not happen if I open the file in terminal by command "mvim"
> Any ideas?

Can you outline some steps on how to reproduce the problem?  (I've
never come across this problem myself.)

You can try troubleshooting the problem yourself by going through [1].

Björn

[1] https://github.com/b4winckler/macvim/wiki/Troubleshooting

Re: Got error when open MacVim from Finder

anilg
On 7 November 2011 16:46, imcom wrote:
> Hey guys, I got an error recently, when I use MacVim to open files in
> Finder. It states:
> "Error detected while processing command line:"
> "E486: Pattern not found: a string"
> But this would not happen if I open the file in terminal by command "mvim"

> Can you outline some steps on how to reproduce the problem?

This has been bothering me for months, too. Files open fully highlighted or
with the error message that I have to acknowledge before I start editing.

I just discovered where the problem lies, but not how to fix it.
If you run ps aux | grep vim you can see the following entries:

2398 /Applications/MacVim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim -g -f +/ -o file.txt
2395 /Applications/MacVim.app/Contents/MacOS/MacVim -psn_0_1835456

Evidently MacVim starts Vim and injects two options: -f and +/.
I don't want either in my MacVim behaviour. I prefer splits to windows and I
don't want the previous search pattern executed on startup.

Is there some way of removing these options from the Vim command line used by
MacVim? I can only see binaries in the MacVim.app.

Thanks

Re: Got error when open MacVim from Finder

AnilG-2
On Tuesday, 8 November 2011 02:46:46 UTC+11, imcom  wrote:
> Hey guys, I got an error recently, when I use MacVim to open files in Finder. It states:
> "Error detected while processing command line:"
> "E486: Pattern not found: a string"
> But this would not happen if I open the file in terminal by command "mvim"

I've got this issue too. I attempted to post to this thread before I understood current forum arrangements. I ended up starting a new thread which does explain how this happens:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/vim_mac/9UtgsU9r6Xs

It's because MacVim injects the flags +/ and -o when calling vim command. More in the above thread.