`Gvim -d` Has Changed

Bill McCarthy
Hello Vim Developers,

In build 115, `Gvim -d` now splits horizontally instead of
vertically by default.  Is this intended?

This strange behavior is also in Vim.

Yes, I know I can do `Gvim -d -O` but I believe the new
behavior is an error (since the doc hasn't change).

Bill

Re: `Gvim -d` Has Changed

Bram Moolenaar

Bill McCarthy wrote:

> In build 115, `Gvim -d` now splits horizontally instead of
> vertically by default.  Is this intended?
>
> This strange behavior is also in Vim.
>
> Yes, I know I can do `Gvim -d -O` but I believe the new
> behavior is an error (since the doc hasn't change).

I wondered if this change would be noticed :-).

I mostly want a horizontal split.  So I changed to default behavior to
find out if anyone would complain.  I'll change it back then.

--
It is illegal for a driver to be blindfolded while operating a vehicle.
                [real standing law in Alabama, United States of America]

Re: `Gvim -d` Has Changed

François Pinard
[Bram Moolenar]

> Bill McCarthy wrote:

> > In build 115, `Gvim -d` now splits horizontally instead of
> > vertically by default.  Is this intended?

> I wondered if this change would be noticed :-).

> I mostly want a horizontal split.  So I changed to default behavior to
> find out if anyone would complain.  I'll change it back then.

Let me voice that I would also like the default to be horizontal split.
I use the `-od' options a lot, and almost never vertical split.  Please
don't change it back :-).

P.S. - Besides, the original poster was reporting a discrepancy between
behaviour and documentation.  Best would be to amend the documentation!

Fran?ois Pinard   http://pinard.progiciels-bpi.ca

Re: `Gvim -d` Has Changed

A.J.Mechelynck
>> > In build 115, `Gvim -d` now splits horizontally instead of
>> > vertically by default.  Is this intended?
>
>> I wondered if this change would be noticed :-).
>
>> I mostly want a horizontal split.  So I changed to default behavior to
>> find out if anyone would complain.  I'll change it back then.
>
> Let me voice that I would also like the default to be horizontal split.
> I use the `-od' options a lot, and almost never vertical split.  Please
> don't change it back :-).
>
> P.S. - Besides, the original poster was reporting a discrepancy between
> behaviour and documentation.  Best would be to amend the documentation!
>
> --
> Fran?ois Pinard   http://pinard.progiciels-bpi.ca

I rarely use vertical split myself... except with the 'diff' option, when I
find it useful, either (a) for a rough check ("if everything gets folded,
then the files are the same") and (b) when the lines aren't too long (and
with 143 columns available with gvim maximized, I get almost 70 columns for
each of two diffed files, which is not too bad). So I'm in favour of
splitting vertically by default when diffing. I don't know what proportion
of users prefer diffing side-by-side vs. above-and-below, but if anyone has
"home scripts" relying on the old behaviour, changing it would break them.

Re: `Gvim -d` Has Changed

Bill McCarthy
On Mon 25-Jul-05 4:50am -0500, you wrote:

> Bill McCarthy wrote:

>> In build 115, `Gvim -d` now splits horizontally instead of
>> vertically by default.  Is this intended?
>>
>> This strange behavior is also in Vim.
>>
>> Yes, I know I can do `Gvim -d -O` but I believe the new
>> behavior is an error (since the doc hasn't change).

> I wondered if this change would be noticed :-).

> I mostly want a horizontal split.  So I changed to default behavior to
> find out if anyone would complain.  I'll change it back then.

Good.  But if you want to keep it as horizontal, I have no
real problem with that as long as there is an option to
change the default behavior for -d (I see nothing in
'diffopt' - although a likely candidate for such an option.

Since with a vertical split (which I mainly use only for
vimdiff) I get about 97 characters on each side of the
screen on my laptop, I rarely use -do - mainly for wide data
files.

Bill

Re: `Gvim -d` Has Changed

A.J.Mechelynck
> On Mon 25-Jul-05 4:50am -0500, you wrote:
>
>> Bill McCarthy wrote:
>
>>> In build 115, `Gvim -d` now splits horizontally instead of
>>> vertically by default.  Is this intended?
>>>
>>> This strange behavior is also in Vim.
>>>
>>> Yes, I know I can do `Gvim -d -O` but I believe the new
>>> behavior is an error (since the doc hasn't change).
>
>> I wondered if this change would be noticed :-).
>
>> I mostly want a horizontal split.  So I changed to default behavior to
>> find out if anyone would complain.  I'll change it back then.
>
> Good.  But if you want to keep it as horizontal, I have no
> real problem with that as long as there is an option to
> change the default behavior for -d (I see nothing in
> 'diffopt' - although a likely candidate for such an option.
>
> Since with a vertical split (which I mainly use only for
> vimdiff) I get about 97 characters on each side of the
> screen on my laptop, I rarely use -do - mainly for wide data
> files.
>
> --
> Best regards,
> Bill

Doesn't 'diffopt' only come into play _after_ the files to be diffed are
already open in their respective windows?

I prefer the old way (diff side-by-side), but I note that ":diffsplit" was
already splitting horizontally (maybe for lack of a ":horizontal" command to
override vertical splitting). Whatever the final decision, it can be
overcome:

    /home/pinard/ $ alias gvimdiff = 'gvim -d -o'
    /home/pinard/ $ alias vimdiff = 'vim -d -o'
    /home/pinard/ $ echo 'cabbrev ds diffsplit' >> .vimrc

vs

    /home/bill/ $ alias gvimdiff = 'gvim -d -O'
    /home/bill/ $ alias vimdiff = 'vim -d -O'
    /home/bill/ $ echo 'cabbrev ds vertical diffsplit' >> .vimrc

For poor Dos/Windows users like me it may look more complicated but the
principles are the same:

    C:\Documents and Settings\Tony>copy con C:\gvimdiff.bat
    @gvim.exe -d -O %1 %2 %3 %4 %5 %6 %7 %8 %9^Z
    C:\Documents and Settings\Tony>copy con C:\vimdiff.bat
    @vim.exe -d -O %1 %2 %3 %4 %5 %6 %7 %8 %9^Z
    C:\Documents and Settings\Tony>echo cabbrev ds vertical
diffsplit>>_vimrc

Re: `Gvim -d` Has Changed

Craig Barkhouse

> For poor Dos/Windows users like me it may look more complicated but the
> principles are the same:
>
>    C:\Documents and Settings\Tony>copy con C:\gvimdiff.bat
>    @gvim.exe -d -O %1 %2 %3 %4 %5 %6 %7 %8 %9^Z
>    C:\Documents and Settings\Tony>copy con C:\vimdiff.bat
>    @vim.exe -d -O %1 %2 %3 %4 %5 %6 %7 %8 %9^Z
>    C:\Documents and Settings\Tony>echo cabbrev ds vertical
> diffsplit>>_vimrc

Handy tip:  %*

Re: `Gvim -d` Has Changed

A.J.Mechelynck
>> For poor Dos/Windows users like me it may look more complicated but the
>> principles are the same:
>>
>>    C:\Documents and Settings\Tony>copy con C:\gvimdiff.bat
>>    @gvim.exe -d -O %1 %2 %3 %4 %5 %6 %7 %8 %9^Z
>>    C:\Documents and Settings\Tony>copy con C:\vimdiff.bat
>>    @vim.exe -d -O %1 %2 %3 %4 %5 %6 %7 %8 %9^Z
>>    C:\Documents and Settings\Tony>echo cabbrev ds vertical
>> diffsplit>>_vimrc
>
> Handy tip:  %*

I know, but not with COMMAND.COM. I have been using CMD.EXE for a few months
now, but some of its features (like this one) are not very well documented;
and the above will work (provided there are no more than 9 command-line
arguments) on all flavours of Dos and Windows.

Re: `Gvim -d` Has Changed

Craig Barkhouse

Re: `Gvim -d` Has Changed

Yegappan Lakshmanan
On 7/25/05, Bram Moolenaar <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Bill McCarthy wrote:
>
> > In build 115, `Gvim -d` now splits horizontally instead of
> > vertically by default.  Is this intended?
> >
> > This strange behavior is also in Vim.
> >
> > Yes, I know I can do `Gvim -d -O` but I believe the new
> > behavior is an error (since the doc hasn't change).
>
> I wondered if this change would be noticed :-).
>
> I mostly want a horizontal split.  So I changed to default behavior to
> find out if anyone would complain.

I use the Vim diff feature often. I prefer to use the vertical split
for viewing
the differences.

- Yegappan

> I'll change it back then.

Re: `Gvim -d` Has Changed

> OK, but FWIW, it does work with newer versions of command.com, such as the
> one in WinXP.  (Kinda moot though, since you should never use command.com
> on an NT system.)  I don't have any Win9x systems to test with.  If you
> really do need to support older DOS and DOS-based Windows versions, then I
> guess you're stuck.  But if you're only doing it just in case, then please
> let DOS die.  :)

Just in case on the one hand, and also because I don't always remember (is
it %* or %$ or...), and I don't know where (if anywhere) to find it back in
the (poorly organised) CMD.EXE documentation on my XP system.

> Note that %* allows more than 9 variable arguments, which could
> occasionally be important.  So it's not just shorter, it's better.

I know. Though maybe not for a simple diff. Getting more than 9 arguments
(to be passed from a BAT script to a program) can be done even where %*
isn't supported, but it's a p.i.t.a. with SHIFT and looping back. I think I
could do it, but only if I really had to, and usually I don't.

Re: `Gvim -d` Has Changed

Bill McCarthy
On Mon 25-Jul-05 10:16am -0500, Tony Mechelynck wrote:

> For poor Dos/Windows users like me it may look more complicated but the
> principles are the same:
>
>     C:\Documents and Settings\Tony>copy con C:\gvimdiff.bat
>     @gvim.exe -d -O %1 %2 %3 %4 %5 %6 %7 %8 %9^Z
>     C:\Documents and Settings\Tony>copy con C:\vimdiff.bat
>     @vim.exe -d -O %1 %2 %3 %4 %5 %6 %7 %8 %9^Z

For 4nt users on winXP or win2K (or 4dos users on pre-32 bit
windows), just add the following to your alias file:

    gvimdiff=gvim -dO
    vimdiff=vim -dO

Of course none of this is now needed since Bram changed
things back in build 116.

Bill

Re: `Gvim -d` Has Changed

A.J.Mechelynck
> On Mon 25-Jul-05 10:16am -0500, Tony Mechelynck wrote:
>
>> For poor Dos/Windows users like me it may look more complicated but the
>> principles are the same:
>>
>>     C:\Documents and Settings\Tony>copy con C:\gvimdiff.bat
>>     @gvim.exe -d -O %1 %2 %3 %4 %5 %6 %7 %8 %9^Z
>>     C:\Documents and Settings\Tony>copy con C:\vimdiff.bat
>>     @vim.exe -d -O %1 %2 %3 %4 %5 %6 %7 %8 %9^Z
>
> For 4nt users on winXP or win2K (or 4dos users on pre-32 bit
> windows), just add the following to your alias file:
>
>    gvimdiff=gvim -dO
>    vimdiff=vim -dO
>
> Of course none of this is now needed since Bram changed
> things back in build 116.
>
> --
> Best regards,
> Bill

I know (and maybe I should add: alas). I have used NDOS (a 4dos clone) from
DOS 3.2 times; but 4NT is only free for a short "trial period", after which
the agreement says you have to either delete all trace of it from your hard
disk, or pay (how much was it again? $60 I think). I know I already have
other pieces of software which remind me daily that their trial period is
expired (one of them I could do without, the other I could replace if
needed), but I'm not going to install a shell which might "bomb out" in
three months (and I don't have the means to move money over the Atlantic).
When I got this laptop last year, I changed FTP clients because the one
recommended by my ISP had "gone commercial". (The one I use now is just as
good, and it's freely available.)