Gvim rendering glyphs double-width?

krbeesley

        Gvim rendering glyphs double-width?

Background:  I'm running gvim 7.1.135 (configured for huge) on RHEL

If I set the font to  Bitstream Vera Sans Mono
the rendered glyphs look very good.  Looking at this font in fontforge,
the glyphs appear to be 1233 units wide.

If I change the font to DejaVu Sans Mono (an extended version of
Bitstream Vera Sans Mono), the glyphs look good, but they appear
to be rendered double spaced.  In fontforge, the glyphs still appear
to be 1233
units wide, at least as far as I can see.

I took a copy of DejaVu Sans Mono, re-encoded it to handle full Unicode,
and added glyphs in the Deseret Block, matching the 1233-unit width.
Again, when I choose this font in gvim, the glyphs all appear to be
rendered double-width.

******
Does this ring a bell for anyone?  Is there something wrong in DejaVu
Sans Mono,
like a glyph with a rogue width, that causes this rendering problem?

Thanks,

Ken