Gvim sourcing .vimrc and not .gvimrc

consiglieri

Hi

At one point I used Edit -> Startup Settings and saved the file which
turned out to be .vimrc. After that everytime I start vim it
sources .vimrc instead of .gvimrc.

How can I make Vim.app use .gvimrc instead?

Thanks

Re: Gvim sourcing .vimrc and not .gvimrc

Nico Weber-3

> At one point I used Edit -> Startup Settings and saved the file which
> turned out to be .vimrc. After that everytime I start vim it
> sources .vimrc instead of .gvimrc.
>
> How can I make Vim.app use .gvimrc instead?

Vim.app should always source .vimrc as well as .gvimrc...are you sure
your .gvimrc is not sourced as well?

Nico

Re: Gvim sourcing .vimrc and not .gvimrc

consiglieri

Hi

Been doing some testing..and I was mistaken, Vim.app is parcing
both .vimrc and .gvimrc

However the ctrl+] kombination is not working as a shortcut for
searching tags.

As I understand it I should be able to have the cursor on lets say
JFrame in a java file and type ctrl-] and see the source code for
JFrame. It works if I do :ta JFrame but not with the shortcut.

On 12 Sep, 14:22, Nico Weber <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > At one point I used Edit -> Startup Settings and saved the file which
> > turned out to be .vimrc. After that everytime I start vim it
> > sources .vimrc instead of .gvimrc.
>
> > How can I make Vim.app use .gvimrc instead?
>
> Vim.app should always source .vimrc as well as .gvimrc...are you sure
> your .gvimrc is not sourced as well?
>
> Nico

Re: Gvim sourcing .vimrc and not .gvimrc

Nico Weber-3

> However the ctrl+] kombination is not working as a shortcut for
> searching tags.
>
> As I understand it I should be able to have the cursor on lets say
> JFrame in a java file and type ctrl-] and see the source code for
> JFrame. It works if I do :ta JFrame but not with the shortcut.

This probably only really works with an english keyboard layout. Are
you using an english layout?

Re: Gvim sourcing .vimrc and not .gvimrc

consiglieri

No I'm not, I am fortunate enough to use a swedish keyboard. I could
change the key mapping if I knew how.
I'm also having difficulties with umlauts in vim when using terminal
(in Vim.app .gvim, it works fine). Terminal is set to use utf-8 and so
is the encoding in .vimrc. But my å ä ö fill out dubbelspaces. This
only occurs when using vim and not when I am in terminal.

On 12 Sep, 17:13, Nico Weber <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > However the ctrl+] kombination is not working as a shortcut for
> > searching tags.
>
> > As I understand it I should be able to have the cursor on lets say
> > JFrame in a java file and type ctrl-] and see the source code for
> > JFrame. It works if I do :ta JFrame but not with the shortcut.
>
> This probably only really works with an english keyboard layout. Are
> you using an english layout?

Re: Gvim sourcing .vimrc and not .gvimrc

Niklas Lindström

Hi,

with a swedish keyboard, ctrl-] is ctrl-å, i.e. the same physical
place of the "]" character on an english qwerty. Try that, it works
for me in carbon vim and MacVim.

Best regards,
Niklas

On 9/12/07, consiglieri <[hidden email]> wrote:

> No I'm not, I am fortunate enough to use a swedish keyboard. I could
> change the key mapping if I knew how.
> I'm also having difficulties with umlauts in vim when using terminal
> (in Vim.app .gvim, it works fine). Terminal is set to use utf-8 and so
> is the encoding in .vimrc. But my å ä ö fill out dubbelspaces. This
> only occurs when using vim and not when I am in terminal.
>

> On 12 Sep, 17:13, Nico Weber <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > > However the ctrl+] kombination is not working as a shortcut for
> > > searching tags.
> >
> > > As I understand it I should be able to have the cursor on lets say
> > > JFrame in a java file and type ctrl-] and see the source code for
> > > JFrame. It works if I do :ta JFrame but not with the shortcut.
> >
> > This probably only really works with an english keyboard layout. Are
> > you using an english layout?

Re: Gvim sourcing .vimrc and not .gvimrc

Nico Weber-3

> No I'm not, I am fortunate enough to use a swedish keyboard. I could
> change the key mapping if I knew how.

System Preferences -> International -> Input Menu. Select "Show input
menu in menu bar" at the bottom and select "Canadian" (or "US",
depending on which flag yo prefer :-P) in addition to the language
you've already selected.

> I'm also having difficulties with umlauts in vim when using terminal
> (in Vim.app .gvim, it works fine). Terminal is set to use utf-8 and so
> is the encoding in .vimrc. But my å ä ö fill out dubbelspaces. This
> only occurs when using vim and not when I am in terminal.

This is probably a Terminal issue. Did you tell it to use utf8 somehow?

Nico

Re: Gvim sourcing .vimrc and not .gvimrc

consiglieri

Eureka.. that works for me.
Thanks

On 12 Sep, 22:35, "Niklas Lindström" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> with a swedish keyboard, ctrl-] is ctrl-å, i.e. the same physical
> place of the "]" character on an english qwerty. Try that, it works
> for me in carbon vim and MacVim.
>
> Best regards,
> Niklas
>
> On 9/12/07, consiglieri <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> > No I'm not, I am fortunate enough to use a swedish keyboard. I could
> > change the key mapping if I knew how.
> > I'm also having difficulties with umlauts in vim when using terminal
> > (in Vim.app .gvim, it works fine). Terminal is set to use utf-8 and so
> > is the encoding in .vimrc. But my å ä ö fill out dubbelspaces. This
> > only occurs when using vim and not when I am in terminal.

> > > This probably only really works with an english keyboard layout. Are
> > > you using an english layout?

Re: Gvim sourcing .vimrc and not .gvimrc

consiglieri

Terminal is set to utf-8, in fact terminal displays everything nicely,
its only when console vim is started that there is a  problem.

On 13 Sep, 01:57, Nico Weber <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > No I'm not, I am fortunate enough to use a swedish keyboard. I could
> > change the key mapping if I knew how.
>
> System Preferences -> International -> Input Menu. Select "Show input
> menu in menu bar" at the bottom and select "Canadian" (or "US",
> depending on which flag yo prefer :-P) in addition to the language
> you've already selected.
>
> > I'm also having difficulties with umlauts in vim when using terminal
> > (in Vim.app .gvim, it works fine). Terminal is set to use utf-8 and so
> > is the encoding in .vimrc. But my å ä ö fill out dubbelspaces. This
> > only occurs when using vim and not when I am in terminal.
>
> This is probably a Terminal issue. Did you tell it to use utf8 somehow?
>
> Nico

Re: Gvim sourcing .vimrc and not .gvimrc

Ben Schmidt

consiglieri wrote:
> Terminal is set to utf-8, in fact terminal displays everything nicely,
> its only when console vim is started that there is a  problem.

Maybe try fiddling with the settings to do with 'wide glyphs' and so on in the
Terminal Window Settings, and/or Vim's ambiwidth option.

The problem seems odd to me, though; I have had problems in Terminal with Vim and
Unicode stuff, but never anything quite like this, I don't think.

Ben.