Help about colorscheme.

shuda Li
I de-installed Vim72 by running the following command:

>sudo apt-get remove vim-tiny vim-runtime vim-gui-common vim-gnome vim-doc vim-dbg vim-common vim jvim-doc jvim-canna libvi-quickfix-perl libtext-vimcolor-perl vimhelp-de vim-vimoutliner vim-syntax-gtk vim-scripts vim-rails vim-puppet vim-nox vim-latexsuite vim-gtk vim-addon-manager

 and installed Vim 7.3 by compiling the source. Tho OS I use is Ubuntu 10.04.

However, when I start Vim7.3 I found the colorscheme doen't work any more. I tried all choice in "Edit -> color schems".  Only the background color was applied see attached image.

I wonder what's wrong with my new installation.

Best,

Shuda

Screenshot.png (281K) Download Attachment

Re: Help about colorscheme.

Ivan Sichmann Freitas
> However, when I start Vim7.3 I found the colorscheme doen't work any more. I
> tried all choice in "Edit -> color schems".  Only the background color was
> applied see attached image.
> I wonder what's wrong with my new installation.

Which options did you use to compile you vim? Also what colorscheme
are you trying to apply?

Ivan Sichmann Freitas
Engenharia de Computação 2009
UNICAMP
http://identi.ca/ivansichmann
Grupo Pró Software Livre UNICAMP - GPSL

Re: Help about colorscheme.

Anurag Priyam
>> However, when I start Vim7.3 I found the colorscheme doen't work any more. I
>> tried all choice in "Edit -> color schems".  Only the background color was
>> applied see attached image.
>> I wonder what's wrong with my new installation.

Are you by any chance trying to restore a previous session (created in
vim 7.2)? It happened to me, when I upgraded to 7.3. I use a global
session for Vim, like firefox.

--
Anurag Priyam,
3rd Year Undergraduate,

Re: Help about colorscheme.

shuda Li
Here are the steps I install Vim7.3 on my ubuntu system

1)Download the vim-7.3.tar.bz2
2)tar xvf vim-7.3.tar.bz2
3)/configure --prefix= /user/defined/directory
4)make
5)make install

I tried Edit->color scheme-> blue on a cpp file (see the attachment)

On Sun, Nov 21, 2010 at 5:51 PM, Ivan S. Freitas <[hidden email]> wrote:
> However, when I start Vim7.3 I found the colorscheme doen't work any more. I
> tried all choice in "Edit -> color schems".  Only the background color was
> applied see attached image.
> I wonder what's wrong with my new installation.

Which options did you use to compile you vim? Also what colorscheme
are you trying to apply?

Ivan Sichmann Freitas
Engenharia de Computação 2009
UNICAMP
http://identi.ca/ivansichmann
Grupo Pró Software Livre UNICAMP - GPSL

Shuda Li
--------------------------------
PhD  Candidate
Computer Vision Group
Room 1.15
Merchant Venturers Building
Woodland Road
the University of Bristol
Bristol BS8 1UB
United Kingdom
---------------------------------
Email: [hidden email]
            [hidden email]
Office:    +44 (0)117 954 5629
Mobile : +44 (0)786 973 5073
Fax:       +44 (0)117 954 5208
---------------------------------

Screenshot1.png (187K) Download Attachment

Re: Help about colorscheme.

Ivan Sichmann Freitas
> 3)/configure --prefix= /user/defined/directory

Here may be the problem. I don't know the default vim compile option,
but maybe some feature is missing and it's causing the problem. See
./configure --help,  but you may probably need to add
--with-features=huge to your ./configure line to be able to set your
colorscheme properly.

Ivan Sichmann Freitas
Computer Engineering student
State University of Campinas (UNICAMP)
http://identi.ca/ivansichmann

Re: Help about colorscheme.

shuda Li
I reinstalled Vim7.3 using

./configure --prefix= /user/defined/directory --with-features=huge
make
make install
However, the problem still exits.

On Sun, Nov 21, 2010 at 8:29 PM, Ivan S. Freitas <[hidden email]> wrote:
> 3)/configure --prefix= /user/defined/directory

Here may be the problem. I don't know the default vim compile option,
but maybe some feature is missing and it's causing the problem. See
./configure --help,  but you may probably need to add
--with-features=huge to your ./configure line to be able to set your
colorscheme properly.

Ivan Sichmann Freitas
Computer Engineering student
State University of Campinas (UNICAMP)
http://identi.ca/ivansichmann

Shuda Li
--------------------------------
PhD  Candidate
Computer Vision Group
Room 1.15
Merchant Venturers Building
Woodland Road
the University of Bristol
Bristol BS8 1UB
United Kingdom
---------------------------------
Email: [hidden email]
            [hidden email]
Office:    +44 (0)117 954 5629
Mobile : +44 (0)786 973 5073
Fax:       +44 (0)117 954 5208
---------------------------------

Re: Help about colorscheme.

pansz
please try the following:

sudo apt-get build-dep vim

then re-compile your vim 7.3 and install it.

problem will solve.

On Nov 22, 12:37 am, shuda Li <[hidden email]> wrote:
>  and installed Vim 7.3 by compiling the source. Tho OS I use is Ubuntu
> 10.04.

Re: Help about colorscheme.

bill lam
apt remove does not remove all traces. try this
  sudo aptitide purge '~c'
before installing the new vim 7.3

--
regards,
GPG key 1024D/4434BAB3 2008-08-24

Re: Help about colorscheme.

bill lam
typo. should be aptitude

(I usually use tab completion and rarely type the whole word)

--
regards,
GPG key 1024D/4434BAB3 2008-08-24

Re: Help about colorscheme.

Brett Stahlman

On Nov 21, 10:37 am, shuda Li <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I de-installed Vim72 by running the following command:
>
> >sudo apt-get remove vim-tiny vim-runtime vim-gui-common vim-gnome vim-doc
>
> vim-dbg vim-common vim jvim-doc jvim-canna libvi-quickfix-perl
> libtext-vimcolor-perl vimhelp-de vim-vimoutliner vim-syntax-gtk vim-scripts
> vim-rails vim-puppet vim-nox vim-latexsuite vim-gtk vim-addon-manager
>
>  and installed Vim 7.3 by compiling the source. Tho OS I use is Ubuntu
> 10.04.
>
> However, when I start Vim7.3 I found the colorscheme doen't work any more. I
> tried all choice in "Edit -> color schems".  Only the background color was
> applied see attached image.
>
> I wonder what's wrong with my new installation.

Are you sure you have...
syntax on
...in your .vimrc? If you don't have this command somewhere in your
startup, activating a specific colorscheme will change background
color, but you won't get language-specific syntax highlighting.

Sincerely,
Brett Stahlman

> Best,
>
> Shuda
>
>  Screenshot.png
> 277KViewDownload

Re: Help about colorscheme.

shuda Li
Thank you Brett and rest of guys for your help!

I simply added
syntax on
in my .vimrc as suggested by Brett. and the colorscheme start to work.

Shuda