Help! how to switch between visual mode and insert mode ?

Help! how to switch between visual mode and insert mode ?

王子陌
Help! I want to get to visual mode when I'm in insert mode, the problem is:

if there's a line:

abcdefg

When the cursor is at the end of the line and I use <ESC> to switch to normal mode and use v to visual mode, the cursor goes left, which made me unable to map a command that is universe.

Help!

Re: Help! how to switch between visual mode and insert mode ?

Tony Mechelynck
On Thu, Jan 17, 2019 at 4:10 PM 王子陌 <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Help! I want to get to visual mode when I'm in insert mode, the problem is:
>
> if there's a line:
>
> abcdefg
>
> When the cursor is at the end of the line and I use <ESC> to switch to normal mode and use v to visual mode, the cursor goes left, which made me unable to map a command that is universe.
>
> Help!

AFAIK, <Esc> in Insert mode always moves the cursor left by one
column, unless you're already at the left margin. However:
1. If 'virtualedit' is set to "onemore" you can move the cursor to one
column past the last character without leaving Normal mode;
2. Or, regardless of how 'virtualedit' is set, if you're on the last
character of the line in Normal mode, vlol will put you in Visual
mode, with only the end-of-line (which is "one past" the last
character on the line) selected, as follows:
        v    go to characterwise visual
        l    move right by one column
        o    move cursor to the other end of the visual area
        l    move right by one column

Re: Help! how to switch between visual mode and insert mode ?

王子陌
在 2019年1月17日星期四 UTC+8下午11:51:45,Tony Mechelynck写道:

> On Thu, Jan 17, 2019 at 4:10 PM 王子陌 <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Help! I want to get to visual mode when I'm in insert mode, the problem is:
> >
> > if there's a line:
> >
> > abcdefg
> >
> > When the cursor is at the end of the line and I use <ESC> to switch to normal mode and use v to visual mode, the cursor goes left, which made me unable to map a command that is universe.
> >
> > Help!
>
> AFAIK, <Esc> in Insert mode always moves the cursor left by one
> column, unless you're already at the left margin. However:
> 1. If 'virtualedit' is set to "onemore" you can move the cursor to one
> column past the last character without leaving Normal mode;
> 2. Or, regardless of how 'virtualedit' is set, if you're on the last
> character of the line in Normal mode, vlol will put you in Visual
> mode, with only the end-of-line (which is "one past" the last
> character on the line) selected, as follows:
>         v    go to characterwise visual
>         l    move right by one column
>         o    move cursor to the other end of the visual area
>         l    move right by one column
>
> Best regards,
> Tony.
Thank you so much! 'set virtualedit=onemore' worked perfectly!
For the second solution, it's great but will conflict when setting 'map', so I didn't use it in my settings.

Best regards,
王子陌
James