Help with "write" command

R Sam
Hi folks,

I have very recently started getting a "write" problem with my vim
sessions. I have not hit this issue before and was wondering if any
of you have seen this.

I have multiple files open (including Taglist window from taglist plugin) and
editing, when all of a sudden when I try to save the current buffer, I get
the following error message:

E142: File not written: Writing is disabled by 'write' option

Then for some reason after doing a lot of things I can successfully
write that file again. It is happening more often now, so I thought of
asking on the group.

Somebody, please help!
Thanks,
-Sam

Re: Help with "write" command

Tim Chase-2
> E142: File not written: Writing is disabled by 'write' option
>
> Then for some reason after doing a lot of things I can
> successfully write that file again. It is happening more often
> now, so I thought of asking on the group.

The next time it happens, you should be able to do

        :verbose set write?

or perhaps

        :20 verbose set write?

This should tell you where it's getting munged and perhaps afford
an opportunity to track down the culprit.  You *should* be able
to simply

        :set write

to reset the behavior, allowing you to write the file.  If that
doesn't work, you may have tracked down a bug :)

HTH,

Re: Help with "write" command

R Sam
Hi Tim/Tony,

Thanks for your responses. I will do that next time and try to track
down where the write option is getting unset.

I have a hunch it could be one of the scripts that's somehow causing
this.

Anyways, I will keep this in mind, the next time I see it and will post my
findings to the group for the gurus to debug and solve :)

Thanks folks! I hope spamgourmet does not mess with this posting
of mine.

-Sam