Help with ruby Vim Extensions on OS X Tiger

Help with ruby Vim Extensions on OS X Tiger

Unnsse Khan-2
Hello again :-)

Ok, I am using VIM 7.0aa Alpha on Mac OS X Tiger 10.4...

Here's my problem:

When ever I launch the Terminal in OS X and type gvim, it actually
does launch gvim, and everything runs fine and dandy but in my shell,
I get this runtime error:

Error detected while processing /Applications/Vim.app/runtime/plugin/
ruby.vim:
line    1:
E474: Invalid argument: foldmethod=syntax^M
line    2:
E669: Unprintable character in group name
E409: Unknown group name: rubyTodo^M
E475: Invalid argument: rubyComment "#.*" contains=rubyTodo^M
line    3:
E475: Invalid argument: rubyMarkedRegion start="#begin_region"
end="#end_region" contains=rubyTodo fold ^M

The web site I used to configure Ruby:

http://www.rubygarden.org/ruby?VimExtensions

This is what I did:

I placed a file called rubymenu.vim in /Applications/Vim.app/runtime

rubymenu.vim contained the following line of code:

amenu &Ruby.&Run :!ruby %

I also placed a file called ruby.vim in /Applications/Vim.app/runtime/
plugin

ruby.vim's contents are:

set foldmethod=syntax
syn match  rubyComment "#.*" contains=rubyTodo
syn region rubyMarkedRegion start="#begin_region" end="#end_region"
contains=rubyTodo fold
set foldtext=getline(v:foldstart)
" you may try out this: set foldcolumn=3
set fillchars=fold:\ " note the whitespace after
" not neccessary but useful (so you can use the TAB key to fold/unfold):
map <TAB> za

This is what my .vimrc file contains:

set nocompatible
set ts=4
source $VIMRUNTIME/rubymenu.vim
set keymodel=startsel
set nu
set autoindent
set ruler
set backspace=indent,eol,start
syntax on
colorscheme torte
set gfn=Anonymous:h12
imap <D-Z> u
imap <D-z> <C-O>u

the $VIMRUNTIME is of course:

/Applications/Vim.app/runtime

Any suggestions?

Many, many thanks!

-Unnsse

Re: Help with ruby Vim Extensions on OS X Tiger

Bram Moolenaar

Unnsse Khan wrote:

> Ok, I am using VIM 7.0aa Alpha on Mac OS X Tiger 10.4...
>
> Here's my problem:
>
> When ever I launch the Terminal in OS X and type gvim, it actually
> does launch gvim, and everything runs fine and dandy but in my shell,
> I get this runtime error:
>
> Error detected while processing /Applications/Vim.app/runtime/plugin/
> ruby.vim:
> line    1:
> E474: Invalid argument: foldmethod=syntax^M
> line    2:
> E669: Unprintable character in group name
> E409: Unknown group name: rubyTodo^M
> E475: Invalid argument: rubyComment "#.*" contains=rubyTodo^M
> line    3:
> E475: Invalid argument: rubyMarkedRegion start="#begin_region"
> end="#end_region" contains=rubyTodo fold ^M

Your ruby.vim apparently is in dos fileformat.  I should be unix.

Edit the file and do ":set ff=unix|w".

--
A parent can be arrested if his child cannot hold back a burp during a church
service.

Re: Help with ruby Vim Extensions on OS X Tiger

Unnsse Khan-2
Bram,

When I edited the file by typing:

Raven:/Applications/Vim.app/runtime/plugin untz$ gvim ruby.vim

gvim launched and displayed the contents of ruby.vim

I then clicked on the ":" and typed this:

set ff=unixlw

I got this error message:

E474 Invalid argument ff=unixlw

Therefore, nothing is changed and this is still broken...

Has anyone found a way to correctly install these Vim Extensions on
OS X Tiger?

Should I use the RubyGems package manager utility to install the
necessary vim files?

When I did a query using RubyGems I discovered a vim-ruby:

Raven:~ untz$ gem query -rn vim-ruby

*** REMOTE GEMS ***

vim-ruby (2005.09.15, 2004.09.20)
     Ruby configuration files for Vim.  Run 'vim-ruby-install.rb' to
     complete installation.

Has anyone used installed this with the VIM 7.0aa ALPHA version on OS
X? Should I install this version (meaning will it ruin the working
copy of gvim/vim that I already have installed)?

Any tips, suggestions, and help are greatly appreciated.....

Many, many thanks!

Unnsse

On Oct 1, 2005, at 3:20 AM, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

> Unnsse Khan wrote:
>

>> Ok, I am using VIM 7.0aa Alpha on Mac OS X Tiger 10.4...
>>
>> Here's my problem:
>>
>> When ever I launch the Terminal in OS X and type gvim, it actually
>> does launch gvim, and everything runs fine and dandy but in my shell,
>> I get this runtime error:
>>
>> Error detected while processing /Applications/Vim.app/runtime/plugin/
>> ruby.vim:
>> line    1:
>> E474: Invalid argument: foldmethod=syntax^M
>> line    2:
>> E669: Unprintable character in group name
>> E409: Unknown group name: rubyTodo^M
>> E475: Invalid argument: rubyComment "#.*" contains=rubyTodo^M
>> line    3:
>> E475: Invalid argument: rubyMarkedRegion start="#begin_region"
>> end="#end_region" contains=rubyTodo fold ^M
>>

> Your ruby.vim apparently is in dos fileformat.  I should be unix.
>
> Edit the file and do ":set ff=unix|w".
>
> --
> A parent can be arrested if his child cannot hold back a burp
> during a church
> service.
>         [real standing law in Nebraska, United States of America]
>
>  /// Bram Moolenaar -- [hidden email] -- http://
> www.Moolenaar.net   \\\
> ///        Sponsor Vim, vote for features -- http://www.Vim.org/
> sponsor/ \\\
> \\\              Project leader for A-A-P -- http://www.A-A-
> P.org        ///
>  \\\     Buy LOTR 3 and help AIDS victims -- http://ICCF.nl/
> lotr.html   ///

Re: Help with ruby Vim Extensions on OS X Tiger

A.J.Mechelynck
Unnsse Khan wrote:

> Bram,
>
> When I edited the file by typing:
>
> Raven:/Applications/Vim.app/runtime/plugin untz$ gvim ruby.vim
>
> gvim launched and displayed the contents of ruby.vim
>
> I then clicked on the ":" and typed this:
>
> set ff=unixlw

> I got this error message:
>
> E474 Invalid argument ff=unixlw
>
> Therefore, nothing is changed and this is still broken...
[...]

It's not unixlw (unix ell doubleu) it's unix|w (unix bar doubleu). Or
you could also do

        :set ff=unix
        :w

No need to click with the mouse, you can hit the : key on the keyboard.