Hit bottom message not showing in insert mode with cmdheight=2

Hit bottom message not showing in insert mode with cmdheight=2

Jean Johner
Hello,
Consider a .vimrc with only the 2 following lines
set nocp
set cmdheight=2

Searching a pattern in normal mode (with /,n n) results in
search hit BOTTOM, continuing at TOP
red message showing (on first cmd line) when bottom reached.

Doing the same in insert mode (with CTRL-O /, then CTRL-O n), the hit
BOTTOM does not show on the first cmd line when bottom is reached.

Could it be corrected?

Best regards
Jean Johner

Re: Hit bottom message not showing in insert mode with cmdheight=2

Tony Mechelynck
On 19/05/10 17:37, Jean Johner wrote:

> Hello,
> Consider a .vimrc with only the 2 following lines
> set nocp
> set cmdheight=2
>
> Searching a pattern in normal mode (with /,n n) results in
> search hit BOTTOM, continuing at TOP
> red message showing (on first cmd line) when bottom reached.
>
> Doing the same in insert mode (with CTRL-O /, then CTRL-O n), the hit
> BOTTOM does not show on the first cmd line when bottom is reached.
>
> Could it be corrected?
>
> Best regards
> Jean Johner

Works for me in Vim 7.3a, Huge, with GTK2 GUI, in both GUI and Console
mode, and AFAIK it isn't something "recently fixed" -- any "recent"
version should have it.

I see the red message just above the word "-- INSERT --" at the bottom
of the Vim screen.

However, in 7.2.411 there seems to be a missing redraw: I don't see the
message when the rollover happens, but if at that moment I hit Ctrl-O
(which still waits for a Normal-mode command) the red message appears.
You didn't say which version you have. Either it's been fixed in one of
the patches (if any) between what you have and 7.2.436 (but I don't see
anything obvious in the README of the patches), or else it's been
corrected between 7.2 and 7.3a.

Second Law of Business Meetings:
        If there are two possible ways to spell a person's name, you
will pick the wrong one.

Corollary:
        If there is only one way to spell a name, you will spell it
wrong, anyway.

Re: Hit bottom message not showing in insert mode with cmdheight=2

Jean Johner
On May 19, 6:28 pm, Tony Mechelynck <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Works for me in Vim 7.3a, Huge, with GTK2 GUI, in both GUI and Console
> mode, and AFAIK it isn't something "recently fixed" -- any "recent"
> version should have it.
>
> I see the red message just above the word "-- INSERT --" at the bottom
> of the Vim screen.
>
> However, in 7.2.411 there seems to be a missing redraw: I don't see the
> message when the rollover happens, but if at that moment I hit Ctrl-O
> (which still waits for a Normal-mode command) the red message appears.
> You didn't say which version you have. Either it's been fixed in one of
> the patches (if any) between what you have and 7.2.436 (but I don't see
> anything obvious in the README of the patches), or else it's been
> corrected between 7.2 and 7.3a.
>
> Best regards,
> Tony.

No luck, I have the 7.2.411 version (because it is the latest
available for windows with the Cream without cream distribution).

I guess the 7.3a version is not public yet.

wrote:
> However, in 7.2.411 there seems to be a missing redraw: I don't see the
> message when the rollover happens, but if at that moment I hit Ctrl-O
> (which still waits for a Normal-mode command) the red message appears.

I do see that too.
In fact my post was not 100% accurate, the .vimrc was
set nocp
set cmdheight=2
imap <C-N> <C-O>n

In that case, using CTRL-N to activate <C-O>n, the red message no
longer appears at all (even if you continue to press CTRL-N after
reaching the bottom).

On 19/05/10 19:25, Jean Johner wrote:

> On May 19, 6:28 pm, Tony Mechelynck<[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> Works for me in Vim 7.3a, Huge, with GTK2 GUI, in both GUI and Console
>> mode, and AFAIK it isn't something "recently fixed" -- any "recent"
>> version should have it.
>>
>> I see the red message just above the word "-- INSERT --" at the bottom
>> of the Vim screen.
>>
>> However, in 7.2.411 there seems to be a missing redraw: I don't see the
>> message when the rollover happens, but if at that moment I hit Ctrl-O
>> (which still waits for a Normal-mode command) the red message appears.
>> You didn't say which version you have. Either it's been fixed in one of
>> the patches (if any) between what you have and 7.2.436 (but I don't see
>> anything obvious in the README of the patches), or else it's been
>> corrected between 7.2 and 7.3a.
>>
>> Best regards,
>> Tony.
>
> No luck, I have the 7.2.411 version (because it is the latest
> available for windows with the Cream without cream distribution).

Well, you can still compile it yourself, it is not really hard: see my
HowTo for Windows
http://users.skynet.be/antoine.mechelynck/vim/compile.htm and, about
getting the source, the page I wrote a few days ago at
http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Getting_the_Vim_source_with_Mercurial (the ftp
archives and patches, and maybe some other source outlets, are still
available too).

> I guess the 7.3a version is not public yet.

It depends what you call public: anyone can get the source (from the
same Mercurial repository as the 7.2 source but under a different branch
named "vim73") but it is still in "pre-beta" testing. It has some
exciting new features, such as the 'relativenumber' feature built-in and
a second (stronger) encryption method which doesn't replace the former
(weaker) one but exists side-by-side with it (so that existing encrypted
files can still be read and that encrypted files can still be written to
be read with versions of Vim equipped only with the weaker encryption).
However, it is not yet ready for prime time, and from time to time there
are severe bugs: for instance a little more than 24 hours ago a bug was
found which prevented compiling on Linux with Perl and/or Python, but
the first attempts at fixing it prevented compiling on Windows... After
coming back from town I find a new patch is in, which compiles OK on my
Linux system; I hope the Windows guys can use it too.

So you see: anyone can get the current state of the vim 7.3a source (and
in that sense it is public) but at the moment there has not even been
one beta release (and in that sense it is not yet public): it is for the
people who like the fun of adventure and of living on the edge (and IMHO
it _is_ fun, this way) but not for mission-critical projects and not for
those serious businessmen who only adopt a software product version when
everyone else has started installing the third version following it. :-)

> Best regards
>
> Jean Johner

Q:  How many journalists does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
A:  Three.  One to report it as an inspired government program to bring
     light to the people, one to report it as a diabolical government
     plot to deprive the poor of darkness, and one to win a pulitzer
     prize for reporting that Electric Company hired a lightbulb
     assassin to break the bulb in the first place.

Re: Hit bottom message not showing in insert mode with cmdheight=2

Jean Johner
On May 20, 12:34 am, Tony Mechelynck <[hidden email]>
wrote:
> So you see: anyone can get the current state of the vim 7.3a source (and
> in that sense it is public) but at the moment there has not even been
> one beta release (and in that sense it is not yet public): it is for the
> people who like the fun of adventure and of living on the edge (and IMHO
> it _is_ fun, this way) but not for mission-critical projects and not for
> those serious businessmen who only adopt a software product version when
> everyone else has started installing the third version following it. :-)

Thank you, Tony, for these explanations and impressions.
I will wait for the official 7.3 version.
It is nevertheless surprizing that the 7.2.436 version is still not
available in Cream without Cream.
Perhaps they are also waiting for 7.3.

Best regards
Jean Johner

Re: Hit bottom message not showing in insert mode with cmdheight=2

Steve Hall-3
On Thu, 2010-05-20 at 02:38 -0700, Jean Johner wrote:

> It is nevertheless surprizing that the 7.2.436 version is still not
> available in Cream without Cream. Perhaps they are also waiting for
> 7.3.

Nope, just busy and sleep deprived. :) I'll try to generate one in the
next few days.

--
Steve Hall  [ digitect dancingpaper com ]

On May 21, 3:08 am, Steve Hall <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-05-20 at 02:38 -0700, Jean Johner wrote:
> Nope, just busy and sleep deprived. :) I'll try to generate one in the
> next few days.

Thank you Steve.

wrote:
> Either it's been fixed in one of
> the patches (if any) between what you have and 7.2.436 (but I don't see
> anything obvious in the README of the patches), or else it's been
> corrected between 7.2 and 7.3a.

The bug is still present in 7.2.437 (windows and linux).

Best regards
Jean Johner