How about dropping the MzScheme interface?

12

How about dropping the MzScheme interface?

Bram Moolenaar

Over time many features have been added to Vim.
Currently I'm looking into making Vim script faster, which will
eventually lead to Vim9 script (faster, better, etc.).

Besides adding more, we should also consider dropping functionality that
hardly anyone uses.  I'm careful with that, I like to support even a
small group of users.  That is why I'm asking here.

Vim provides optional built-in interfaces for several languages.  Out of
these Python is clearly the most popular.  It looks like the MzScheme
interface is the least popular.  It doesn't even build on most systems
and requires compiling racket from source.  The code itself has not had
changes, other than refactorings, for two years.

Note that I'm not talking about editing Scheme or Racket code with Vim,
that will still be possible.  It's about the :mzscheme and :mzfile
commands.

So, who would complain if we drop the MzScheme interface?
Please reply to the vim-use and/or vim-dev maillist.

--
"You're fired." (1980)
"You're laid off." (1985)

Re: How about dropping the MzScheme interface?

John Mon
What the h*** is vim?

On Fri, Jan 24, 2020 at 3:22 PM Bram Moolenaar <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

///        sponsor Vim, vote for features -- http://www.Vim.org/sponsor/ \\\
\\\  an exciting new programming language -- http://www.Zimbu.org        ///
 \\\            help me help AIDS victims -- http://ICCF-Holland.org    ///

re: How about dropping the MzScheme interface?

王子陌-2
I won't complain for I‘m a clumsy user and won't use it

On Sun, Jan 26, 2020 at 1:09 AM John Mon <[hidden email]> wrote:

> What the h*** is vim?

Vim is a text editor (I think it is the best one, but that is opinion,
not fact) and this mailing list or Google group is its support site.
You've been subscribed to it since 15 August 2019.

If you aren't interested in it anymore, go to
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!myforums (you may have to log in to
Google if you aren't already) then find the "vim_use" group and use
the two widgets at far right of that line: either turn the rolldown
widget to some different setting if you prefer the messages to be sent
in summary blocks, or not sent to you at all, while still being able
to post; or else click "Leave the group" if you don't even want to be
able to post to this group anymore.

Re: How about dropping the MzScheme interface?

John Mon
Thanks Tony you mean like notepad in W10?

On Sat, Jan 25, 2020 at 7:23 PM Tony Mechelynck <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Sun, Jan 26, 2020 at 1:09 AM John Mon <[hidden email]> wrote:

> What the h*** is vim?

Vim is a text editor (I think it is the best one, but that is opinion,
not fact) and this mailing list or Google group is its support site.
You've been subscribed to it since 15 August 2019.

If you aren't interested in it anymore, go to
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!myforums (you may have to log in to
Google if you aren't already) then find the "vim_use" group and use
the two widgets at far right of that line: either turn the rolldown
widget to some different setting if you prefer the messages to be sent
in summary blocks, or not sent to you at all, while still being able
to post; or else click "Leave the group" if you don't even want to be
able to post to this group anymore.

Re: How about dropping the MzScheme interface?

Tony Mechelynck
On Mon, Jan 27, 2020 at 2:58 PM John Mon <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks Tony you mean like notepad in W10?

IMHO, Vim is to Notepad what a Rolls-Royce is to a bicycle (except on
the matter of price). But that's just my own opinion, after I've veen
using Notepad, then Vim, for a number of years.

Re: How about dropping the MzScheme interface?

John Mon
Thanks for your time Tony! I've often wondered about why people ever need to alter text? If you have time I would love to know the answer. Thanks in advance!

On Wed, Jan 29, 2020 at 6:01 AM John Mon <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks for your time Tony! I've often wondered about why people ever need to alter text? If you have time I would love to know the answer. Thanks in advance!

Have you ever wondered how text gets written? Or how program bugs get
fixed? Well, here's your answer.

Re: How about dropping the MzScheme interface?

Jesus Arocho
I have been reading this thread and I am not sure I understand the question: "why would anyone need to alter text"

On Wed, Jan 29, 2020 at 12:01 AM John Mon <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks for your time Tony! I've often wondered about why people ever need to alter text? If you have time I would love to know the answer. Thanks in advance!

On Tue, Jan 28, 2020 at 11:49 AM Tony Mechelynck <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Mon, Jan 27, 2020 at 2:58 PM John Mon <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks Tony you mean like notepad in W10?

IMHO, Vim is to Notepad what a Rolls-Royce is to a bicycle (except on
the matter of price). But that's just my own opinion, after I've veen
using Notepad, then Vim, for a number of years.

Re: How about dropping the MzScheme interface?

Christian Brabandt

On Mi, 29 Jan 2020, Jesus Arocho wrote:

> I have been reading this thread and I am not sure I understand the question:
> "why would anyone need to alter text"

I have actually been wondering, if he has been trolling successfully.

Best,
Christian
--
10E12  Mikrophone = 1 Megaphon
10E-6 Fisch = 1 Mikrofiche

Re: How about dropping the MzScheme interface?

Jesus Arocho
Probably so.

On Wed, Jan 29, 2020 at 7:57 AM Christian Brabandt <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Mi, 29 Jan 2020, Jesus Arocho wrote:

> I have been reading this thread and I am not sure I understand the question:
> "why would anyone need to alter text"

I have actually been wondering, if he has been trolling successfully.

Best,
Christian
--
10E12  Mikrophone = 1 Megaphon
10E-6 Fisch = 1 Mikrofiche
10E21 Picolos = 1 Gigolo
10 Rationen = 1 Dekoration
3 1/3 Tridents = 1 Dekadent
10 Monologe = 5 Dialoge
2 Monogramme = 1 Diagramm

Re: How about dropping the MzScheme interface?

Salman Halim
That's what I was thinking, but Tony has been indulging the inquiries pretty well.

--

Salman

On Wed, Jan 29, 2020 at 1:56 PM Jesus Arocho <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have been reading this thread and I am not sure I understand the question: "why would anyone need to alter text"

Could be trolling; that user started a side-thread with a post "What
the f*** is Vim?" and I decided to answer "seriously and friendly",
giving him the benefit of the doubt. I'm still wondering whether or
not I've been unduly "feeding the animals". In some other mailing
lists he might have been the object of bad language and/or insults but
I decided to uphold the Vim lists' reputation of friendliness — on
hindsight, maybe in this case it was above and beyond the call of duty
but I still think I did "the right thing".

> On Wed, Jan 29, 2020 at 12:01 AM John Mon <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Thanks for your time Tony! I've often wondered about why people ever need to alter text? If you have time I would love to know the answer. Thanks in advance!

>>> IMHO, Vim is to Notepad what a Rolls-Royce is to a bicycle (except on
>>> the matter of price). But that's just my own opinion, after I've veen
>>> using Notepad, then Vim, for a number of years.
>>>
>>> Best regards,
>>> Tony.

Re: How about dropping the MzScheme interface?

Boyko Bantchev
On Wed, 29 Jan 2020 at 22:19, Tony Mechelynck
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Could be trolling; that user started a side-thread with a post "What
> the f*** is Vim?" and I decided to answer "seriously and friendly",
> giving him the benefit of the doubt. I'm still wondering whether or
> not I've been unduly "feeding the animals". In some other mailing
> lists he might have been the object of bad language and/or insults but
> I decided to uphold the Vim lists' reputation of friendliness — on
> hindsight, maybe in this case it was above and beyond the call of duty
> but I still think I did "the right thing".

Tony, I admire the way you have dealt with the situation.  Being
cool-headed and polite is always a winning policy and a good thing,
and has nothing to do with feeding a troll, if there is one.

Re: How about dropping the MzScheme interface?

John Mon
Sorry Jesus! I meant what do people use Vim or notepad for?

On Wed, Jan 29, 2020 at 11:55 PM John Mon <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Sorry Jesus! I meant what do people use Vim or notepad for?

And the answer was: to write text, including but not limited to
program code, and to modify it after it has been written, e.g. by
correcting spelling errors in plaintext or fixing bugs in program
code. Even web pages are "text" (their MIME type is "text/html") and
though there exist WISIWYG (i.e. "what-you-see-is-what-you-get")
editors for them, some webpage writers, including me, prefer writing
HTML in a plaintext editor such as Vim or even Notepad because this
way we have full control over exactly what the webpage would display
(in a well-behaved browser).

Re: How about dropping the MzScheme interface?

Jesus Arocho
If you have those kinds of questions, I still wonder how you came to be on this list, but regardless here are my thoughts.  Notepad is a fairly simple text editor designed to work only within the Windows environment.  I used it no occasion for either editing simple text files or capturing simple notes (the company I worked for was all Windows based, with the exception of servers.  Vim is used mostly by programmers to edit source files.  It is much more capable than Notepad in its functionality to edit within a file as well as the management of multiple files.  It can be used also for other purposes such as note taking, journaling, etc., but always with text files.

Hope this helps and I log off this thread.

On Wed, Jan 29, 2020 at 5:55 PM John Mon <[hidden email]> wrote:
Sorry Jesus! I meant what do people use Vim or notepad for?

On Wed, Jan 29, 2020 at 7:56 AM Jesus Arocho <[hidden email]> wrote:
I have been reading this thread and I am not sure I understand the question: "why would anyone need to alter text"

On Wed, Jan 29, 2020 at 12:01 AM John Mon <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks for your time Tony! I've often wondered about why people ever need to alter text? If you have time I would love to know the answer. Thanks in advance!

On Tue, Jan 28, 2020 at 11:49 AM Tony Mechelynck <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Mon, Jan 27, 2020 at 2:58 PM John Mon <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks Tony you mean like notepad in W10?

IMHO, Vim is to Notepad what a Rolls-Royce is to a bicycle (except on
the matter of price). But that's just my own opinion, after I've veen
using Notepad, then Vim, for a number of years.

Re: How about dropping the MzScheme interface?

Gabriele Fava
So you were really not just playing along?
You guys need to add a troll detector to your vimrc (I think Emacs has
one built-in)

Re: How about dropping the MzScheme interface?

Dominique Pellé
Gabriele Fava <[hidden email]> wrote:

> So you were really not just playing along?
> You guys need to add a troll detector to your vimrc (I think Emacs has
> one built-in)

The discussion about the troll as derailed this thread which
was originally about the MzScheme interface. Let's only
reply to discuss the MzScheme interface from now on.

MzScheme vim interface does not look like it's used a lot.
So far, Ionly tux. ([hidden email]) has said that he
uses the MzScheme interface, and for personal scripts only.

Perhaps the original author of the mzscheme interface
i.e Brent Fulgham or Sergey Khorev who added dynamic
binding according to :help if_mzsch.txt use the mzscheme interface?

Regards
Dominique

Re: How about dropping the MzScheme interface?

John Mon
Please let me apologize to Dominque and Gabriele for wasting the group's time. I somehow got signed up to this list and sorry I didn't mean alter text I meant edit text.I'm not a troll! Let me thank Tony and Jesus for their answers and sorry for wasting the group's time!