How can I better use Vim help

Sayth Renshaw
Hi

Hoping you can teach me too fish a little.

How is the best way in vim to use the help system when I am unsure exactly what term or phrase to look for?

What I currently do know is Google and usually end up on the vim wikia where I put together the peices from there. And there they usually shoe where the help menu is.

For example I located that :vsp opens a vertical split. How would I now know how to find how to open files in an already open split and chouse which split?

interested in best way to find these answers.

 Sayth

Re: How can I better use Vim help

Erik Christiansen
On 02.02.15 23:44, Sayth Renshaw wrote:
> How is the best way in vim to use the help system when I am unsure
> exactly what term or phrase to look for?

Ah, that is a common weakness of documentation in general - compare for
example, manpages. When a manual documents "How", not "What", then
knowing a suitable search term requires already knowing how the tool
handles what you want to do - an impossibility for a neophyte.

> What I currently do know is Google and usually end up on the vim wikia
> where I put together the peices from there. And there they usually
> shoe where the help menu is.

After a couple of decades of using vi/vim, I have not discovered a
better method than that, for mapping "What" to "How". (Except for a
personal collection of "What"-oriented survival notes, so I don't have
to re-learn stuff that's used once, then not again for a year.)

> For example I located that :vsp opens a vertical split. How would I
> now know how to find how to open files in an already open split and
> chouse which split?

It is possible to open a file by naming it after the :vsp, but beyond
that, I haven't tried.

> interested in best way to find these answers.

I think you've found it. ;-)

Erik

--
Telephone books are like dictionaries -- if you know the answer before
you look it up, you can eventually reaffirm what you thought you knew

Re: How can I better use Vim help

Sven Guckes-3
* Sayth Renshaw <[hidden email]> [2015-02-03 08:54]:
> How is the best way in vim to use the help system when
> I am unsure exactly what term or phrase to look for?

try to guess a word - or a part of it.
enter it right after ":help" -
and then press CTRL-D:

  :help word<CTRL-D>

example:

  :help foo
  +footer     gui-footer

experiment. find your way.
come back and report here.

> What I currently do know is Google and usually end up on
> the vim wikia where I put together the peices from there.
> And there they usually show where the help menu is.

there you go ;)

> For example I located that :vsp opens a vertical split.
> How would I now know how to find how to open files
> in an already open split and choose which split?

i dont know which is the best way to find it -
but here you go:

  :e file

then there is "gf" to open the filename under the cursor.
as for files already in your buffer list, there's ":b". and
with a little ":help" form your vim you'll find "windows.txt".

read it.  try everything.  get used to the vim way... oommm....

Sven

RE: How can I better use Vim help

JohnBeckett
Sayth Renshaw wrote:
> How is the best way in vim to use the help system when I am
> unsure exactly what term or phrase to look for?

The tip has some useful info:
http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Learn_to_use_help

Your question about vertical splits is very general and an
example of what you mean might be needed.

John

Re: How can I better use Vim help

Sayth Renshaw
so it's not me?

Then should the manpages be tagged in such a way that a tool like CTRL-P could be used with multiple search terms to better help users locate info that would help?

Sayth

Re: How can I better use Vim help

Sayth Renshaw

* Sayth Renshaw <[hidden email]> [2015-02-03 08:54]:
> How is the best way in vim to use the help system when
> I am unsure exactly what term or phrase to look for?

try to guess a word - or a part of it.
enter it right after ":help" -
and then press CTRL-D:

  :help word<CTRL-D>

example:

  :help foo
  +footer     gui-footer

experiment. find your way.
come back and report here.

> What I currently do know is Google and usually end up on
> the vim wikia where I put together the peices from there.
> And there they usually show where the help menu is.

there you go ;)

> For example I located that :vsp opens a vertical split.
> How would I now know how to find how to open files
> in an already open split and choose which split?

i dont know which is the best way to find it -
but here you go:

  :e file

then there is "gf" to open the filename under the cursor.
as for files already in your buffer list, there's ":b". and
with a little ":help" form your vim you'll find "windows.txt".

read it.  try everything.  get used to the vim way... oommm....

Sven

Thanks Yeah experiment I thought might be the answer but just double checking I wasn't missing anything.

I also watch Dereks videos to learn with.

http://derekwyatt.org/vim/tutorials/

Sayth

Re: How can I better use Vim help

Sven Guckes-3
* Sayth Renshaw <[hidden email]> [2015-02-03 09:51]:
> so it's not me?

no - it's everyone *like* you. :-P

> Then should the manpages be tagged in such a way that a
> tool like CTRL-P could be used with multiple search
> terms to better help users locate info that would help?

i wonder.. have you tried ":help"?

start vim, enter ":only", - and read.
the "docfile-list" with "BASIC" first lists
"quickref".  try ":h quickref".  this
will take you to the "quickref.txt" file.
scroll down.. read..  doesnt make sense?
":help vimtutor".  invest 5min to 10min.  tops.

still got questions? post them!

Sven

On 03.02.15 00:47, Sayth Renshaw wrote:
> so it's not me?

No, Vim's on-line help does not have a thin edge, AFAICT.

OK, if you read through enough verbiage at ":h help", there is mention
of :helpgrep, which should be in an initial overview paragraph, I
suggest.

If you try e.g. :helpgrep foldlevel
Then :cw                      # Opens the quickfix window.
     Cursor up/down, and hit enter to select a match.
     :ccl                     # Closes the quickfix window.

Yes, it's messy - just showing raw grepped text matches, but if :h name^D
wasn't enough, then it's another possible way in.

Description of :h name^D, and :h nam<Tab> name completion really ought
to precede the :helpgrep description - again, in an initial paragraph,
easily found in a tentative first exploration of a strange editor.

> Then should the manpages be tagged in such a way that a tool like
> CTRL-P could be used with multiple search terms to better help users
> locate info that would help?

Vim has tagfiles for the help. I haven't looked, but I'm not sure what
you'd plan to do that is not already covered above?

Erik

--
manual, n.:
A unit of documentation. There are always three or more on a given item.