How can I make gvim start faster?

12

How can I make gvim start faster?

Groleo Marius
Is there any other option, beside the ones below, that would
make gvim start faster?

set guiheadroom=0
set guioptions-=M
set guioptions-=m
set guioptions-=T

--
Regards, Groleo!

# touch universe
# chmod +x universe
# ./universe

Re: How can I make gvim start faster?

adah
Groleo Marius wrote:

> Is there any other option, beside the ones below, that would make gvim
> start faster?
>

> set guiheadroom=0
> set guioptions-=M
> set guioptions-=m
> set guioptions-=T

Why are you sending the post so many times?  Please stop doing this!

I do not think your commands can accelerate gvim.  My experience is that
your gvim will be quicker, but I doubt its usefulness.

Best regards,

Yongwei

Re: How can I make gvim start faster?

Groleo Marius

> Groleo Marius wrote:
>
> > Is there any other option, beside the ones below, that would make gvim
> > start faster?
> >

> > set guiheadroom=0
> > set guioptions-=M
> > set guioptions-=m
> > set guioptions-=T
>
> Why are you sending the post so many times?  Please stop doing this!
>
> I do not think your commands can accelerate gvim.  My experience is that
> your gvim will be quicker, but I doubt its usefulness.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Yongwei

Accept my escuses for the messages. As I tried to explain in "Spam
filter" thread,
I keep getting notifications from spamgourmet that my message was NOT sent.

As for the options, the menu.vim is not sourced.
The sourcing of menu.vim is known to take some time.

--
Regards, Groleo!

# touch universe
# chmod +x universe
# ./universe

Re: How can I make gvim start faster?

A.J.Mechelynck
> Accept my escuses for the messages. As I tried to explain in "Spam
> filter" thread,
> I keep getting notifications from spamgourmet that my message was NOT
> sent.
[...]
> Regards, Groleo!

These spamgourmet messages mean that one (or two) Vim-list subscriber(s)
is/are rejecting the mails. Apparently he is / they are at dpwnbc.net.
Everyone else gets the list messages all right.

On 9/21/05, Tony Mechelynck <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]

I apologise again.( even though a multi-post bugs me too)

--
Regards, Groleo!

# touch universe
# chmod +x universe
# ./universe

Re: How can I make gvim start faster?

adah
>>  Groleo Marius wrote:
>>
>>> Is there any other option, beside the ones below, that would make
>>> gvim start faster?
>>>
>>> set guiheadroom=0
>>> set guioptions-=M
>>> set guioptions-=m
>>> set guioptions-=T
>>
>> Why are you sending the post so many times?  Please stop doing this!
>>
>> I do not think your commands can accelerate gvim.  My experience is
>> that loading plugins/scripts is slow.  If you do not use any _vimrc
>> file, your gvim will be quicker, but I doubt its usefulness.
>>
>> Best regards,
>>
>> Yongwei
>>

> Accept my escuses for the messages. As I tried to explain in "Spam
> filter" thread, I keep getting notifications from spamgourmet that my
> message was NOT sent.

Yes, this notification *is* annoying to the list.  Nearly everyone is
considered a spammer.  Really an insult from the d*** spamgourmet.

> As for the options, the menu.vim is not sourced.  The sourcing of
> menu.vim is known to take some time.

I am feeling you are sacrificing the useful side of gvim for no apparent
benefit.  Just measure the speed yourself.  `--noplugin' has much
greater effect for me (cvsmenu, engspchk, taglist, etc. are all big
files), but I am not willing to sacrifice these features for the
start-up speed.

Best regards,

Yongwei

Re: How can I make gvim start faster?

Groleo Marius

> >> Why are you sending the post so many times?  Please stop doing this!
> >>
> >> I do not think your commands can accelerate gvim.  My experience is
> >> that loading plugins/scripts is slow.  If you do not use any _vimrc
> >> file, your gvim will be quicker, but I doubt its usefulness.
> >>
> >> Best regards,
> >>
> >> Yongwei
> >>

> > Accept my escuses for the messages. As I tried to explain in "Spam
> > filter" thread, I keep getting notifications from spamgourmet that my
> > message was NOT sent.
>
> Yes, this notification *is* annoying to the list.  Nearly everyone is
> considered a spammer.  Really an insult from the d*** spamgourmet.
>
> > As for the options, the menu.vim is not sourced.  The sourcing of
> > menu.vim is known to take some time.
>
> I am feeling you are sacrificing the useful side of gvim for no apparent
> benefit.  Just measure the speed yourself.  `--noplugin' has much
> greater effect for me (cvsmenu, engspchk, taglist, etc. are all big
> files), but I am not willing to sacrifice these features for the
> start-up speed.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Yongwei

Well, I wasn't using the menu and the toolbar, so why load them?
Another issue would be the "fstat" of all the icons gvim uses, even
though I dont use the toolbar.
You can check this using strace(ltrace) gvim

--
Regards, Groleo!

# touch universe
# chmod +x universe
# ./universe

Re: How can I make gvim start faster?

Dominic Evans
While we are on this subject. Vim tells you in :help menus that you
can disable loading menu.vim by adding a let statement to your .vimrc.

I have the following

if has("gui")
    let did_install_default_menus = 1
    let did_install_syntax_menu = 1
    set guioptions-=mrLtT
    set guioptions+=c
endif

But if I reshow the menu using guioptions+=m it still has all the
default entries listed.

Am i doing something wrong?

Cheers,
Dom

On 21/09/05, Groleo Marius <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > > Accept my escuses for the messages. As I tried to explain in "Spam
> > > filter" thread, I keep getting notifications from spamgourmet that my
> > > message was NOT sent.
> >
> > Yes, this notification *is* annoying to the list.  Nearly everyone is
> > considered a spammer.  Really an insult from the d*** spamgourmet.
> >
> > > As for the options, the menu.vim is not sourced.  The sourcing of
> > > menu.vim is known to take some time.
> >
> > I am feeling you are sacrificing the useful side of gvim for no apparent
> > benefit.  Just measure the speed yourself.  `--noplugin' has much
> > greater effect for me (cvsmenu, engspchk, taglist, etc. are all big
> > files), but I am not willing to sacrifice these features for the
> > start-up speed.
> >
> > Best regards,
> >
> > Yongwei
> >

> Well, I wasn't using the menu and the toolbar, so why load them?
> Another issue would be the "fstat" of all the icons gvim uses, even
> though I dont use the toolbar.
> You can check this using strace(ltrace) gvim
>
> --
> Regards, Groleo!

> # touch universe
> # chmod +x universe
> # ./universe

RE: How can I make gvim start faster?

Suresh Govindachar`

 Groleo Marius Sent September 21, 2005 12:38 AM

> > Groleo Marius wrote:
> >
> > > Is there any other option, beside the ones below, that would make
> > > gvim start faster?
> > >

> > > set guiheadroom=0
> > > set guioptions-=M
> > > set guioptions-=m
> > > set guioptions-=T
> >
> > Why are you sending the post so many times?  Please stop doing this!
> >
> > I do not think your commands can accelerate gvim.  My experience is
> > that loading plugins/scripts is slow.  If you do not use any _vimrc
> > file, your gvim will be quicker, but I doubt its usefulness.
> >
> > Best regards,
> >
> > Yongwei
> >

> Accept my escuses for the messages. As I tried to explain in "Spam
> filter" thread, I keep getting notifications from spamgourmet that
> my message was NOT sent.
>
> As for the options, the menu.vim is not sourced.  The sourcing of
> menu.vim is known to take some time.

Shouldn't it be guioptions+=(rather than -=)M to not source menu.vim?

--Suresh

Re: How can I make gvim start faster?

Bob Heckel
* On Wed, Sep 21, 2005 at 09:45:53AM +0300, Groleo Marius wrote:
> Is there any other option, beside the ones below, that would
> make gvim start faster?

I had a slow load problem after I had inadvertently put several MB of
text into a named buffer.  My .vimrc file was huge and caused a very
slow load while trying to read it.  Deleting it solved my problem.

* On Thu, Sep 22, 2005 at 09:27:59AM -0400, Bob Heckel wrote:
> I had a slow load problem after I had inadvertently put several MB of
> text into a named buffer.  My .vimrc file was huge and caused a very
> slow load while trying to read it.  Deleting it solved my problem.

Sorry I meant to say my .viminfo file was bloated, not .vimrc.

Re: How can I make gvim start faster?

Georg Dahn
Hi!

> My .vimrc file was huge and caused a very
> slow load while trying to read it.  Deleting it
> solved my problem.

Are you sure, that you don't deleted your viminfo file
instead of your vimrc file?

Best wishes,
Georg

On 9/22/05, Bob Heckel <[hidden email]> wrote:
> * On Thu, Sep 22, 2005 at 09:27:59AM -0400, Bob Heckel wrote:
> > I had a slow load problem after I had inadvertently put several MB of
> > text into a named buffer.  My .vimrc file was huge and caused a very
> > slow load while trying to read it.  Deleting it solved my problem.
>
> Sorry I meant to say my .viminfo file was bloated, not .vimrc.

Well, I'm deleting reguraly.
I tried to remove the colorscheme, so they wont be "fstated" at startup.
Still cant't figgure out a way, so GTK? wont try to load the icons
used in ToolBar.
--
Regards, Groleo!

# touch universe
# chmod +x universe
# ./universe

RE: How can I make gvim start faster?

Suresh Govindachar`

   Groleo Marius [mailto:[hidden email]] Sent September 22, 2005 6:47 AM

  > Still cant't figgure out a way, so GTK?
  > wont try to load the icons used in ToolBar.

  Did you try adding (not removing) M in guioptions?

  --Suresh

On 9/22/05, Suresh Govindachar <[hidden email]> wrote:

>    Groleo Marius [mailto:[hidden email]] Sent September 22, 2005 6:47 AM
>
>   > Still cant't figgure out a way, so GTK?
>   > wont try to load the icons used in ToolBar.
>
>   Did you try adding (not removing) M in guioptions?
>
>   --Suresh

Yes. Makes no difference, regarding the png's:
read(10, "pixmap_path \"/usr/share/icons/Bl"..., 4000) = 4000
access("/usr/share/icons/Bluecurve/24x24/stock/cdplayer-backward.png", F_OK) = 0
access("/usr/share/icons/Bluecurve/24x24/stock/cdplayer-eject.png", F_OK) = 0
access("/usr/share/icons/Bluecurve/24x24/stock/cdplayer-forward.png", F_OK) = 0
access("/usr/share/icons/Bluecurve/24x24/stock/cdplayer-next.png", F_OK) = 0

Since are loaded by GTK?
--
Regards, Groleo!

# touch universe
# chmod +x universe
# ./universe

Re: How can I make gvim start faster?

Moshe Kaminsky

* Groleo Marius <[hidden email]> [21/09/05 09:49]:

> Is there any other option, beside the ones below, that would
> make gvim start faster?
>

> set guiheadroom=0
> set guioptions-=M
> set guioptions-=m
> set guioptions-=T

If you have vim 7, it has profiling support (help :profile) to find how
much time is spent in every function, script, etc.

If you are on linux, you can use oprofile
(http://oprofile.sourceforge.net) to find out where the executable
spends time on startup. I used it and found out that I had some
mis-configuration with freetype2, and when I fixed that, gvim was
starting 3 times faster.

Moshe

> --
> Regards, Groleo!

> # touch universe
> # chmod +x universe
> # ./universe

                                        -- Douglas Adams

    Moshe Kaminsky <[hidden email]>
    Home: 08-9456841

On 9/23/05, Moshe Kaminsky <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> * Groleo Marius <[hidden email]> [21/09/05 09:49]:
> >
> > Is there any other option, beside the ones below, that would
> > make gvim start faster?
> >

> > set guiheadroom=0
> > set guioptions-=M
> > set guioptions-=m
> > set guioptions-=T
> >

> If you have vim 7, it has profiling support (help :profile) to find how
> much time is spent in every function, script, etc.
>
> If you are on linux, you can use oprofile
> (http://oprofile.sourceforge.net) to find out where the executable
> spends time on startup. I used it and found out that I had some
> mis-configuration with freetype2, and when I fixed that, gvim was
> starting 3 times faster.

Yes, I'm using vim7 on linux, so I'll try both methods.
Thanks.

--
Regards, Groleo!

# touch universe
# chmod +x universe
# ./universe

Re: How can I make gvim start faster?

A.J.Mechelynck
> On 9/23/05, Moshe Kaminsky <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> * Groleo Marius <[hidden email]> [21/09/05 09:49]:
>> >
>> > Is there any other option, beside the ones below, that would
>> > make gvim start faster?
>> >

>> > set guiheadroom=0
>> > set guioptions-=M
>> > set guioptions-=m
>> > set guioptions-=T
>> >

>> If you have vim 7, it has profiling support (help :profile) to find how
>> much time is spent in every function, script, etc.
>>
>> If you are on linux, you can use oprofile
>> (http://oprofile.sourceforge.net) to find out where the executable
>> spends time on startup. I used it and found out that I had some
>> mis-configuration with freetype2, and when I fixed that, gvim was
>> starting 3 times faster.
>>

> Yes, I'm using vim7 on linux, so I'll try both methods.
> Thanks.

Profiling is a compile-time option which is part of the "huge" (but not
"big") features. I'm changing my compiling routine to add it to the W32
debug builds. Expect them on my site maybe an hour from now.

On 9/23/05, Tony Mechelynck <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]

How can I toogle profiling from ./configure, but without using
--with-features=huge
because I had some problems using it.

--
Regards, Groleo!

# touch universe
# chmod +x universe
# ./universe

Re: How can I make gvim start faster?

A.J.Mechelynck
> On 9/23/05, Tony Mechelynck <[hidden email]> wrote:

I don't know. What problems are you having? AFAIK the only difference
between "big" and "huge" is that the latter includes profiling

12