Quantcast

How do I change the line height?

Bjorn Tipling
I would like to increase the spacing between lines for better
readability. Is this possible in MacVim?

Re: How do I change the line height?

Björn Winckler
On 20 April 2010 17:18, Bjorn Tipling wrote:
> I would like to increase the spacing between lines for better
> readability. Is this possible in MacVim?

You'll want to try

:set linespace=1

and adjust the "1" to your liking.  Unfortunately, 'linespace' only
takes integer values so you may not be able to adjust it as precisely
as you would like.

Björn

Re: How do I change the line height?

Tony Mechelynck

On Apr 21, 2:07 am, björn <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 20 April 2010 17:18, Bjorn Tipling wrote:
>
> > I would like to increase the spacing between lines for better
> > readability. Is this possible in MacVim?
>
> You'll want to try
>
> :set linespace=1
>
> and adjust the "1" to your liking.  Unfortunately, 'linespace' only
> takes integer values so you may not be able to adjust it as precisely
> as you would like.
>
> Björn

How precise would you want to be? According to the help, 'linespace'
is measured in pixels, not in text lines.

My love, he's mad, and my love, he's fleet,
        And a wild young wood-thing bore him!
The ways are fair to his roaming feet,
        And the skies are sunlit for him.
As sharply sweet to my heart he seems
        As the fragrance of acacia.
My own dear love, he is all my dreams --
        And I wish he were in Asia.
                -- Dorothy Parker

On 27 June 2010 05:26, Tony Mechelynck wrote:

> On Apr 21, 2:07 am, björn <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On 20 April 2010 17:18, Bjorn Tipling wrote:
>>
>> > I would like to increase the spacing between lines for better
>> > readability. Is this possible in MacVim?
>>
>> You'll want to try
>>
>> :set linespace=1
>>
>> and adjust the "1" to your liking.  Unfortunately, 'linespace' only
>> takes integer values so you may not be able to adjust it as precisely
>> as you would like.
>>

> How precise would you want to be? According to the help, 'linespace'
> is measured in pixels, not in text lines.

My point is that 'linespace=1' adds up to quite a lot of extra (total)
space if you have a moderate amount of lines, making the lines seem
quite far apart (at least to my eyes).  On Mac OS X all drawing is
done using floats so fractional line spacing would allow for finer
control.

Björn

On 27/06/10 15:50, björn wrote:

> On 27 June 2010 05:26, Tony Mechelynck wrote:

>>> You'll want to try
>>>
>>> :set linespace=1
>>>
>>> and adjust the "1" to your liking.  Unfortunately, 'linespace' only
>>> takes integer values so you may not be able to adjust it as precisely
>>> as you would like.
>>>

>> How precise would you want to be? According to the help, 'linespace'
>> is measured in pixels, not in text lines.
>
> My point is that 'linespace=1' adds up to quite a lot of extra (total)
> space if you have a moderate amount of lines, making the lines seem
> quite far apart (at least to my eyes).  On Mac OS X all drawing is
> done using floats so fractional line spacing would allow for finer
> control.
>
> Björn

Well, my point is that the screen is made of pixels anyway, so that any
fractional setting here would have to be rendered by spacing the lines
unequally (e.g. lsp=0.25, if supported, would mean one additional pixel
every four lines) which wouldn't be nice to look at.

My theology, briefly, is that the universe was dictated but not
signed.
                -- Christopher Morley