How do you use _exe_ ?

Mark S.
Hello!

I've read through the vo help file. I appreciated the fact that its short
enough to read in a half hour.  The file talks about the _exe_ feature.
Unfortunately, it doesn't say how to *use* this feature -- just how to set it
up. Once you have your head line set up, then what?

Also, the last line in the section on executable lines says this:

  To enable this behavior, insert the following code into your
  $HOME/.vimoutlinerrc file:

Unfortunately, that's where it ends -- the secret codex is missing. So I have
no clue what I'm supposed to put in .vimoutlinerrc or even if I need to.

Thanks!
Mark

Re: How do you use _exe_ ?

Steve Litt
On Thursday 22 May 2008 13:04, Mark S. wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I've read through the vo help file. I appreciated the fact that its short
> enough to read in a half hour.  The file talks about the _exe_ feature.
> Unfortunately, it doesn't say how to *use* this feature -- just how to set
> it up. Once you have your head line set up, then what?

Executable lines are the kewlest thing since sliced bread. It's what enables
us to make a single tree knowledge source, regardless of the knowledge's
source. For instance:

Artie Kegler
        : Artie Kegler is the world's best musician
        Picture: _exe_ kuickshow /home/litt/artiepicture.jpg
        Sample song: _exe_play /home/litt/white_horse_dreams.mp3
        Fanclub page: http://stevelitt.a3b3.com/artiekegler/index.html

Now, place the cursor ANYWHERE on a line with _exe_ on it, press ,,e and the
command line following the _exe_ will be executed.

When I use VO as a presentation tool, I always use lots of executable lines.

> Also, the last line in the section on executable lines says this:
>
>   To enable this behavior, insert the following code into your
>   $HOME/.vimoutlinerrc file:

I'm not sure, but I don't think you need anything in .vimoutlinerrc any more.
There was a long period where executable lines weren't supported by the
official VO distribution, but some of us were using it, so we put the hooks
into .vimoutlinerrc.

SteveT

> Unfortunately, that's where it ends -- the secret codex is missing. So I
> have no clue what I'm supposed to put in .vimoutlinerrc or even if I need
> to.
>
> Thanks!
> Mark

Steve Litt
Recession Relief Package
http://www.recession-relief.US

Re: How do you use _exe_ ?

Scott Scriven-2
* Steve Litt <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Now, place the cursor ANYWHERE on a line with _exe_ on it,
> press ,,e and the command line following the _exe_ will be
> executed.

Personally, I find this awkward.  Why is _exe_ required?

It seems like it would be simpler to just make ,,e execute any
line, with no particular marker needed.  I mean, just remove the
leading whitespace and any checkboxes and/or percents on the left
side, and then run the contents of the line.

It would probably at least clear up confusion about things
like...

  - move the cursor to a line containing "ls /tmp"
  - type ,,e
  - receive an error, "Not an executable line"
  - scratch head...  "ls /tmp" sure looks executable

I tried a few variations before I found _exe_ in the docs
somewhere.

-- Scott

Re: How do you use _exe_ ?

Mark S.

--- Scott Scriven <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Personally, I find this awkward.  Why is _exe_
> required?

I suppose this is so that there can be a description to the left of the _exe_.

I have a similar question about the _tag_ file thing. Why does the file to be
linked need to be on the following (indented) line? Why not just have it
right after the _tag_file ? Actually, if the syntax was more like:

   _tag_ MyLinkName

(note the space after _tag_) then you could put a user-friendly "MyLinkName"
in any file and have it work as a link.

Just a thought.

-- Mark

Re: How do you use _exe_ ?

Tim Roberts
Scott Scriven wrote:
* Steve Litt [hidden email] wrote:

Now, place the cursor ANYWHERE on a line with _exe_ on it,
press ,,e and the command line following the _exe_ will be
executed.

Personally, I find this awkward.  Why is _exe_ required?

It seems like it would be simpler to just make ,,e execute any
line, with no particular marker needed.  I mean, just remove the
leading whitespace and any checkboxes and/or percents on the left
side, and then run the contents of the line.

It would probably at least clear up confusion about things
like...

  - move the cursor to a line containing "ls /tmp"
  - type ,,e
  - receive an error, "Not an executable line"
  - scratch head...  "ls /tmp" sure looks executable

It would also make it AWFULLY easy to run a dangerous command accidentally.  I believe it is better that strings that are intended by the author to be executable be clearly delimited.

    - Sample Unix command lines
        + ls -l
        + rm -rf *
        + echo This is a disaster just waiting to happen

--
Tim Roberts, [hidden email]
Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.