How many have Ruby installed?

Steve Litt
Hi all,

Question for all U VimOutliner users -- how many non-Windows users currently
have Ruby installed on your computer? To test, just run this command at the
command prompt:

echo 'puts "hello"' | ruby

If it prints "hello" on the next line, you have Ruby. If it says ruby command
not found, you don't have it.

I'm translating Node.pm to Ruby, but before I start writing VO scripts in Ruby
I want to make sure most of you have it on your machines. I KNOW you all have
Perl (unless you have Windows).

By the way, there's a free speech, free beer Ruby for Wihndows. I'm
downloading it now.

Thanks

SteveT

Steve Litt
Founder and acting president: GoLUG
http://www.golug.org

Re: How many have Ruby installed?

Matej Cepl-2
Steve Litt wrote:
> Question for all U VimOutliner users -- how many non-Windows users
> currently have Ruby installed on your computer?

Unfortunately, I have, but it is just because of idiotical maintainer of
flash plugin for Debian
(http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=155967) -- I am even
thinking about uninstalling flash because of that, but I like badgers too
much :-)

Matej

GPG Finger: 89EF 4BC6 288A BF43 1BAB  25C3 E09F EF25 D964 84AC

Thank you for sending me a copy of your book; I'll waste no time
reading it.
      -- Moses Hadas

Re: How many have Ruby installed?

Detlef Steuer
I do not have ruby installed.

But if there is a useful tools using ruby there is no problem in installing it.
I even installed ocaml to use wyrd :-)

detlef

On Mon, 5 Dec 2005 20:46:56 -0500
Steve Litt <[hidden email]> wrote:

> echo 'puts "hello"' | ruby

Re: How many have Ruby installed?

Lucas Gonzalez Santa Cruz
After running [apt-get install ruby],
now [echo 'puts "hello"' | ruby] works.

Lucas

Re: How many have Ruby installed?

Charles Burkins
On Dec 5, 2005, at 8:46 PM, Steve Litt wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Question for all U VimOutliner users -- how many non-Windows users
> currently
> have Ruby installed on your computer? To test, just run this
> command at the
> command prompt:

I have it on my freebsd servers. It's a dependency for portupgrade.

-Chuck

Re: How many have Ruby installed?

Matthew Weier O'Phinney-2
On 12/5/05, Steve Litt <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Question for all U VimOutliner users -- how many non-Windows users
> currently have Ruby installed on your computer? To test, just run this
> command at the command prompt:
>
> echo 'puts "hello"' | ruby
>
> If it prints "hello" on the next line, you have Ruby. If it says ruby
> command not found, you don't have it.
>
> I'm translating Node.pm to Ruby, but before I start writing VO scripts
> in Ruby I want to make sure most of you have it on your machines. I
> KNOW you all have Perl (unless you have Windows).

I have used quite a number of linux distros, and have yet to see Ruby
installed by default. I've only installed it once myself, and only so
that I could play with it -- not due to any program's dependency on it.

Perl and python are on just about every distro install by default,
however. I'd go with one of those two before Ruby.

(I've also been using vimoutliner almost since you first released it,
Steve... it's one of those tools that's always in my toolbox.)

--
Matthew Weier O'Phinney
[hidden email]

Re: How many have Ruby installed?

Ben Armstrong
On Mon, 2005-12-05 at 20:46 -0500, Steve Litt wrote:
> If it prints "hello" on the next line, you have Ruby. If it says ruby command
> not found, you don't have it.

I have it.
Ben

Re: How many have Ruby installed?

David T Harris
I don't currently have ruby but I can install it on
my OpenBSD box through ports and on my Redhat box through
source, if I can't find an rpm somewhere (which I should be
able to find - can't check currently since that box is at home
and I'm at college).

One thing - I hope vim outliner would not become dependent
on ruby (not saying that it would) since some systems
you only have user priviledges on (like college
Solaris systems), and hence you can't really install much.
I successfully installed vimoutliner though on
Sun OS 5.9 :)

Re: How many have Ruby installed?

Andreas Poisel
Hi!

* Matthew Weier O'Phinney <[hidden email]> [051206 14:50]:

> Perl and python are on just about every distro install by default,
> however. I'd go with one of those two before Ruby.

I second that.  I'm using vimoutliner on a lot of machines and can't
install Ruby on all of them.  Python and Perl are available everywhere,
I'd really prefer one of those.  In addition Python is much more
readable IMHO.

--
Regards, Andi

On Tuesday 06 December 2005 12:07 pm, Andreas Poisel wrote:

> Hi!
>
> * Matthew Weier O'Phinney <[hidden email]> [051206 14:50]:
> > Perl and python are on just about every distro install by default,
> > however. I'd go with one of those two before Ruby.
>
> I second that.  I'm using vimoutliner on a lot of machines and can't
> install Ruby on all of them.  Python and Perl are available everywhere,
> I'd really prefer one of those.  In addition Python is much more
> readable IMHO.

Yeah, I think I got my answer. At the current time, it wouldn't be a good idea
to force VO users to install Ruby, so I'll continue writing VO scripts in
Perl. I hope in the future Ruby will install by default on all Linux, because
it's a REALLY good language.

By the way, Ruby is installable on Windows without going through ActiveState,
and is therefore more "free speech" on Windows, IMHO.

SteveT

Steve Litt
Founder and acting president: GoLUG
http://www.golug.org

Re: How many have Ruby installed?

Andreas Poisel
* Steve Litt <[hidden email]> [051206 18:40]:

> Yeah, I think I got my answer. At the current time, it wouldn't be a good idea
> to force VO users to install Ruby, so I'll continue writing VO scripts in
> Perl. I hope in the future Ruby will install by default on all Linux, because
> it's a REALLY good language.

So are Python and Perl... ;-)

--
Regards, Andi

Steve Litt wrote:
> I hope in the future Ruby will install by default on all
> Linux, because it's a REALLY good language.

No flamebait intended, but would you mind to write why is Ruby so much
better than Python?

Matej

GPG Finger: 89EF 4BC6 288A BF43 1BAB  25C3 E09F EF25 D964 84AC

I've just learned about his illness. Let's hope it's nothing
trivial.
      -- Irvin S. Cobb

Re: Re: How many have Ruby installed?

Stefan Schmiedl
Matej Cepl (06.12. 17:25):

> Steve Litt wrote:
> > I hope in the future Ruby will install by default on all
> > Linux, because it's a REALLY good language.
>
> No flamebait intended, but would you mind to write why is Ruby so much
> better than Python?

it's not objectively better for most definitions of objectively.

it just maps better to some people's minds.
and that's all it takes.

s.

--
Stefan Schmiedl

On Tuesday 06 December 2005 10:40 am, David T Harris wrote:

> I don't currently have ruby but I can install it on
> my OpenBSD box through ports and on my Redhat box through
> source, if I can't find an rpm somewhere (which I should be
> able to find - can't check currently since that box is at home
> and I'm at college).
>
> One thing - I hope vim outliner would not become dependent
> on ruby (not saying that it would) since some systems
> you only have user priviledges on (like college
> Solaris systems), and hence you can't really install much.
> I successfully installed vimoutliner though on
> Sun OS 5.9 :)

That's good input David. Everything Nix has Perl, but that certainly can't be
said for Ruby, so I guess I'll keep writing my VO scripts in Perl, or else
write em in Ruby and then translate them.

The basic VO innards are written in VimScript, so if you have Vim, you have
the majority of VO, and if you don't have Vim, you don't have a snowball's
chance in Miami of running Vim. Traditionally, Perl, Python and Ruby have
been used for conversion programs (various otl 2 html) as well as for VO's
interoutline linking mechanism (perl).

SteveT

--
Steve Litt
Founder and acting president: GoLUG
http://www.golug.org

Re: How many have Ruby installed?

Stefan Schmiedl
Steve Litt (08.12. 16:39):

> On Tuesday 06 December 2005 10:40 am, David T Harris wrote:
> > One thing - I hope vim outliner would not become dependent
> > on ruby (not saying that it would) since some systems
> > you only have user priviledges on (like college
> > Solaris systems), and hence you can't really install much.
> > I successfully installed vimoutliner though on
> > Sun OS 5.9 :)
>
> The basic VO innards are written in VimScript, so if you have Vim, you have
> the majority of VO, and if you don't have Vim, you don't have a snowball's
> chance in Miami of running Vim.

That said, you can always get the sources and use the supplied configure
script to set e.g. $HOME/ruby as installation prefix. Then add the directory
$HOME/ruby/bin to your path and you're set.

We have a server running three different ruby versions for reasons I'd
rather not go into in public :-)

s.

--
Stefan Schmiedl

On Thursday 08 December 2005 05:22 pm, Stefan Schmiedl wrote:

> We have a server running three different ruby versions for reasons I'd
> rather not go into in public :-)

Do those reasons involve who REALLY killed President Kennedy :-)