How to blink text

Ni Va
Hi,

By highlighting or new feature text properties, is it possible and how to make text blinking please ?

Thank you
NiVa

Re: How to blink text

Tony Mechelynck
On Fri, Dec 6, 2019 at 4:24 PM Ni Va <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> By highlighting or new feature text properties, is it possible and how to make text blinking please ?
>
> Thank you
> NiVa

Maybe, maybe not. I tried ":helpgrep blink" with very few results
concerning the text (most were about how to make the _cursor_ blink).
- On some terminals, ctermbg=128 (in a :hi command) will make text
blink; on others it makes the background intense, see os_dos.txt line
174
- If t_mb is defined to a nonempty byte sequence, I _think_ that that
byte sequence will start the text blinking (see ":help t_mb"). But
don't take my word for it. If I understood correctly, then t_me undoes
blink, bold and color. But how does one set it?
- If the :hi command accepts term=blink, cterm=blink and/or gui=blink,
then AFAIK it is not documented. Maybe at some future time.

Re: How to blink text

arocker
> Hopefully not

I think I'm with Christian on this one. :-)*

Re: How to blink text

Ni Va
I helpgreped and search on some forums before asking but I hoped.

and always hope maybe by inverting syntax highlight of the wanted blinking pattern schedule by timer and redrawing

no ? bad way ?

Le vendredi 6 décembre 2019 20:11:21 UTC+1, [hidden email] a écrit :
> Hopefully not

I think I'm with Christian on this one. :-)*

Re: How to blink text

Ni Va
I think I see text blinking....

func! BlinkText()

  fun! MyHandler(timer) "{{{

if !exists('g:flipflop')
  let g:flipflop = 0
endif

if !g:flipflop
  let g:flipflop = 1
  hi Blink guifg=#222222  guibg=#e4e4e4
else
  let g:flipflop = 0
  hi Blink guifg=#e4e4e4  guibg=#e4e4e4
endif
syn match   pattern         /123/
hi def link pattern         Blink

call prop_clear(11)
call prop_type_delete('foo')
call prop_type_add('foo', {'highlight': 'Blink'})
call prop_add(11, 12, {'length': 3, 'type': 'foo'})
  endfunction "}}}

  let timer = timer_start(500, 'MyHandler',
  \ {'repeat': -1})
endfunc
nnoremap <F7> :call BlinkText()<cr>

Ok it's not perfect, not terminated yet but it blinks!

   No working longer when I add/remove lines in buffer because of using properties!
   And working only on one pattern matched : here it is 123

But with help I think it is possible.

Le vendredi 6 décembre 2019 21:33:01 UTC+1, Ni Va a écrit :
I helpgreped and search on some forums before asking but I hoped.

and always hope maybe by inverting syntax highlight of the wanted blinking pattern schedule by timer and redrawing

no ? bad way ?

Le vendredi 6 décembre 2019 20:11:21 UTC+1, [hidden email] a écrit :
> Hopefully not

I think I'm with Christian on this one. :-)*

vim.gif (35K) Download Attachment

Re: How to blink text

Ni Va
Even if I insert/remove lines example, it is blinking ! :)

Le vendredi 6 décembre 2019 23:52:43 UTC+1, Ni Va a écrit :
I think I see text blinking....

func! BlinkText()

  fun! MyHandler(timer) "{{{

if !exists('g:flipflop')
  let g:flipflop = 0
endif

if !g:flipflop
  let g:flipflop = 1
  hi Blink guifg=#222222  guibg=#e4e4e4
else
  let g:flipflop = 0
  hi Blink guifg=#e4e4e4  guibg=#e4e4e4
endif
syn match   pattern         /123/
hi def link pattern         Blink

call prop_clear(11)
call prop_type_delete('foo')
call prop_type_add('foo', {'highlight': 'Blink'})
call prop_add(11, 12, {'length': 3, 'type': 'foo'})
  endfunction "}}}

  let timer = timer_start(500, 'MyHandler',
  \ {'repeat': -1})
endfunc
nnoremap <F7> :call BlinkText()<cr>

Ok it's not perfect, not terminated yet but it blinks!

   No working longer when I add/remove lines in buffer because of using properties!
   And working only on one pattern matched : here it is 123

But with help I think it is possible.

Le vendredi 6 décembre 2019 21:33:01 UTC+1, Ni Va a écrit :
I helpgreped and search on some forums before asking but I hoped.

and always hope maybe by inverting syntax highlight of the wanted blinking pattern schedule by timer and redrawing

no ? bad way ?

Le vendredi 6 décembre 2019 20:11:21 UTC+1, [hidden email] a écrit :
> Hopefully not

I think I'm with Christian on this one. :-)*

vimTextBlinking2.gif (33K) Download Attachment