How to compile Vim 6.3 on Tiger with Ruby support

How to compile Vim 6.3 on Tiger with Ruby support

Jarimatti Valkonen
First of all, sorry if this has been posted before. I searched the list
archives but didn't find any solutions. I hope this helps someone.

The Ruby supplied with Tiger has a flaw: the rbconfig.rb is broken. See
the link below for some details.
http://wiki.rubyonrails.com/rails/show/HowtoInstallOnOSXTiger#4

The file supplied in the above link didn't work for me, so I used the
fixrbconfig gem. If you have RubyGems installed you can install it the
usual way ('gem install fixrbconfig'). After installing it you need to
run 'sudo ${GEM_HOME}/fixrbconfig' for the file to get updated.

If you don't have RubyGems, fetch the file
http://gems.rubyforge.org/gems/fixrbconfig-1.2.gem
(or newer). The file is a simple tar archive containing metadata.gz and
data.tar.gz. Data.tar.gz contains the file rbconfig.rb, which you can
copy over the original. Make a backup copy of the original!

Using the fixed rbconfig.rb Vim 6.3 seems to compile just fine with Ruby
support. For the impatient, here's my Vim.app, compiled from recent CVS
sources with Ruby, Perl, Python and Tcl support:
http://venda.uku.fi/~javalkon/Vim-6.3-with-ruby.tar.gz

Jarimatti Valkonen

Re: How to compile Vim 6.3 on Tiger with Ruby support

Benji Fisher
On Sun, Sep 11, 2005 at 06:51:49PM +0300, Jarimatti Valkonen wrote:
> First of all, sorry if this has been posted before. I searched the list
> archives but didn't find any solutions. I hope this helps someone.

     Thanks for posting the tip!  It seems to work for vim 6.4 as well.

> The Ruby supplied with Tiger has a flaw: the rbconfig.rb is broken. See
> the link below for some details.
> http://wiki.rubyonrails.com/rails/show/HowtoInstallOnOSXTiger#4
>
> The file supplied in the above link didn't work for me, so I used the
> fixrbconfig gem. If you have RubyGems installed you can install it the
> usual way ('gem install fixrbconfig'). After installing it you need to
> run 'sudo ${GEM_HOME}/fixrbconfig' for the file to get updated.
>
> If you don't have RubyGems, fetch the file
> http://gems.rubyforge.org/gems/fixrbconfig-1.2.gem
> (or newer). The file is a simple tar archive containing metadata.gz and
> data.tar.gz. Data.tar.gz contains the file rbconfig.rb, which you can
> copy over the original. Make a backup copy of the original!

     I also found that the "manual" fix in the first link did not work.
Thanks for instructions on how to unpack a .gem file.  I posted a
version of this method at the top of  http://macvim.org/OSX/index.php .

> Using the fixed rbconfig.rb Vim 6.3 seems to compile just fine with Ruby
> support. For the impatient, here's my Vim.app, compiled from recent CVS
> sources with Ruby, Perl, Python and Tcl support:
> http://venda.uku.fi/~javalkon/Vim-6.3-with-ruby.tar.gz

     I have posted 6.4, with +cscope as well.  (Note to self:  automate
the upload process, so that you do not overwrite a Panther binary with a
Tiger binary ... again.)

                                        --Benji Fisher