How to disable swapfile when editing a directory?

How to disable swapfile when editing a directory?

anhnmncb-2

As title, and I don't think it's very useful when editing a directory.

  anhnmncb
 gpg key: 44A31344

Re: How to disable swapfile when editing a directory?

Tony Mechelynck

On 24/11/08 04:52, anhnmncb wrote:
> As title, and I don't think it's very useful when editing a directory.

When editing a directory, the netrw plugin uses ":setlocal noswapfile",
so you don't need to do anything, the swapfile is already disabled on
that directory.

See, however, ":help g:netrw_use_noswf", which tells you how to _enable_
swapfiles for directory buffers.

You cannot propel yourself forward by patting yourself on the back.

Tony Mechelynck <[hidden email]> writes:

> On 24/11/08 04:52, anhnmncb wrote:
>> As title, and I don't think it's very useful when editing a directory.
>
> When editing a directory, the netrw plugin uses ":setlocal noswapfile",
> so you don't need to do anything, the swapfile is already disabled on
> that directory.

Why I still find that vim produces a _.swp file in dir that editing?

On 24/11/08 08:44, anhnmncb wrote:
> Tony Mechelynck<[hidden email]>  writes:
>
>> On 24/11/08 04:52, anhnmncb wrote:
>>> As title, and I don't think it's very useful when editing a directory.
>> When editing a directory, the netrw plugin uses ":setlocal noswapfile",
>> so you don't need to do anything, the swapfile is already disabled on
>> that directory.
>
> Why I still find that vim produces a _.swp file in dir that editing?

I don't -- while editing my home directory, "ls -l ~/.sw*" does list
four files, but the most recent of them dates from more than a month ago.

You might create a swapfile (with no filename in its name) when you edit
a [No Name] file; then that swapfile will remain if Vim crashes or gets
killed.

--
Procrastinators do it tomorrow.

Re: How to disable swapfile when editing a directory?

anhnmncb-2

Tony Mechelynck <[hidden email]> writes:

> On 24/11/08 08:44, anhnmncb wrote:
>> Tony Mechelynck<[hidden email]>  writes:

>>> When editing a directory, the netrw plugin uses ":setlocal noswapfile",
>>> so you don't need to do anything, the swapfile is already disabled on
>>> that directory.
>>
>> Why I still find that vim produces a _.swp file in dir that editing?
>
> I don't -- while editing my home directory, "ls -l ~/.sw*" does list
> four files, but the most recent of them dates from more than a month ago.
>
> You might create a swapfile (with no filename in its name) when you edit
> a [No Name] file; then that swapfile will remain if Vim crashes or gets
> killed.

Here generates _.swo and _.swp, I'm sure the dir hasn't these files
before I edit it.

btw. my gvim version is official 7.2 for windows.

On 24/11/08 10:57, anhnmncb wrote:

> Tony Mechelynck<[hidden email]>  writes:

>>> Why I still find that vim produces a _.swp file in dir that editing?
>> I don't -- while editing my home directory, "ls -l ~/.sw*" does list
>> four files, but the most recent of them dates from more than a month ago.
>>
>> You might create a swapfile (with no filename in its name) when you edit
>> a [No Name] file; then that swapfile will remain if Vim crashes or gets
>> killed.
>
> Here generates _.swo and _.swp, I'm sure the dir hasn't these files
> before I edit it.
>
> btw. my gvim version is official 7.2 for windows.

Mine is 7.2.049 for Linux (compiled from official sources, official
patches 1-49, and one unofficial patch which is about floating point
functions), Huge version with GTK2/Gnome GUI, Perl, Python, Ruby and TCL
but not MzScheme, etc. etc. etc.

I suppose that the fact that mine generates .swp, .swo, etc., rather
than _.swp, _.swo, etc. for [No Name] files is due to the fact that I'm
on Linux and you're on Windows.

Are you sure you aren't currently editing a [No Name] buffer (possibly
as a hidden buffer, if you have 'hidden' set)? The ":ls!" command might
help you. Look for buffers with a (active) or h (hidden) left of their name.

You know you have a small apartment when Rice Krispies echo.
                -- S. Rickly Christian

Re: How to disable swapfile when editing a directory?

Ben Schmidt

Tony Mechelynck wrote:

> On 24/11/08 10:57, anhnmncb wrote:
>> Tony Mechelynck<[hidden email]>  writes:

>>> I don't -- while editing my home directory, "ls -l ~/.sw*" does list
>>> four files, but the most recent of them dates from more than a month ago.
>>>
>>> You might create a swapfile (with no filename in its name) when you edit
>>> a [No Name] file; then that swapfile will remain if Vim crashes or gets
>>> killed.
>> Here generates _.swo and _.swp, I'm sure the dir hasn't these files
>> before I edit it.
>>
>> btw. my gvim version is official 7.2 for windows.
>>

> Mine is 7.2.049 for Linux (compiled from official sources, official
> patches 1-49, and one unofficial patch which is about floating point
> functions), Huge version with GTK2/Gnome GUI, Perl, Python, Ruby and TCL
> but not MzScheme, etc. etc. etc.
>
> I suppose that the fact that mine generates .swp, .swo, etc., rather
> than _.swp, _.swo, etc. for [No Name] files is due to the fact that I'm
> on Linux and you're on Windows.
>
> Are you sure you aren't currently editing a [No Name] buffer (possibly
> as a hidden buffer, if you have 'hidden' set)? The ":ls!" command might
> help you. Look for buffers with a (active) or h (hidden) left of their name.

You can find out what those swap files are by navigating to that
directory in cmd and doing

vim -r

to get a list (not all that helpful) or

vim -r _.swp

which will try to 'recover' the specific file, showing you what's in it.
If indeed it is a directory listing, something must be different or
broken with netrw or Vim on windows. If it's something else, well,
you'll find out what it is and can decide for yourself what to do.

An alternative to going via cmd is to navigate in Vim to the directory,
via :cd and then do

:recover _.swp

Ben.

On 24/11/08 13:37, Ben Schmidt wrote:

> Tony Mechelynck wrote:

>>> Here generates _.swo and _.swp, I'm sure the dir hasn't these files
>>> before I edit it.
>>>
>>> btw. my gvim version is official 7.2 for windows.
>>>
>> Mine is 7.2.049 for Linux (compiled from official sources, official
>> patches 1-49, and one unofficial patch which is about floating point
>> functions), Huge version with GTK2/Gnome GUI, Perl, Python, Ruby and TCL
>> but not MzScheme, etc. etc. etc.
>>
>> I suppose that the fact that mine generates .swp, .swo, etc., rather
>> than _.swp, _.swo, etc. for [No Name] files is due to the fact that I'm
>> on Linux and you're on Windows.
>>
>> Are you sure you aren't currently editing a [No Name] buffer (possibly
>> as a hidden buffer, if you have 'hidden' set)? The ":ls!" command might
>> help you. Look for buffers with a (active) or h (hidden) left of their name.
>
> You can find out what those swap files are by navigating to that
> directory in cmd and doing
>
> vim -r
>
> to get a list (not all that helpful) or

well, at least it will tell you the name of the buffer to which this
swapfile applies.

> vim -r _.swp
>
> which will try to 'recover' the specific file, showing you what's in it.
> If indeed it is a directory listing, something must be different or
> broken with netrw or Vim on windows. If it's something else, well,
> you'll find out what it is and can decide for yourself what to do.
>
> An alternative to going via cmd is to navigate in Vim to the directory,
> via :cd and then do
>
> :recover _.swp
>
> Ben.

Whatever became of eternal truth?

Ben Schmidt <[hidden email]> writes:

> Tony Mechelynck wrote:

>>> Here generates _.swo and _.swp, I'm sure the dir hasn't these files
>>> before I edit it.
>>>
>>> btw. my gvim version is official 7.2 for windows.
>>>

>> Mine is 7.2.049 for Linux (compiled from official sources, official
>> patches 1-49, and one unofficial patch which is about floating point
>> functions), Huge version with GTK2/Gnome GUI, Perl, Python, Ruby and TCL
>> but not MzScheme, etc. etc. etc.
>>
>> I suppose that the fact that mine generates .swp, .swo, etc., rather
>> than _.swp, _.swo, etc. for [No Name] files is due to the fact that I'm
>> on Linux and you're on Windows.
>>
>> Are you sure you aren't currently editing a [No Name] buffer (possibly
>> as a hidden buffer, if you have 'hidden' set)? The ":ls!" command might
>> help you. Look for buffers with a (active) or h (hidden) left of their name.
>
> You can find out what those swap files are by navigating to that
> directory in cmd and doing
>
> vim -r
>
> to get a list (not all that helpful) or
>
> vim -r _.swp
>
> which will try to 'recover' the specific file, showing you what's in it.
> If indeed it is a directory listing, something must be different or
> broken with netrw or Vim on windows. If it's something else, well,
> you'll find out what it is and can decide for yourself what to do.
>
> An alternative to going via cmd is to navigate in Vim to the directory,
> via :cd and then do
>
> :recover _.swp

1.

:cd ~/doc/

:recover _.swp

Prompt: E306: Cannot open _.swp

2.

:e ~/doc/

:recover _.swap

Prompt: E95: Buffer with this name already exists.

btw. I have hidden setting, does it mean that in this condition, swap
will always generated regardless editing file or dir?

> Ben.

  anhnmncb
 gpg key: 44A31344

RE: How to disable swapfile when editing a directory?

JohnBeckett

anhnmncb wrote:
> btw. I have hidden setting, does it mean that in this
> condition, swap will always generated regardless editing file or dir?

No. When you next see this situation, please do what Tony asked: Use :ls! to list
all buffers. It is extremely likely that you have a hidden "no name" buffer,
possibly left over as part of some startup issue.

John

"John Beckett" <[hidden email]> writes:

> anhnmncb wrote:
>> btw. I have hidden setting, does it mean that in this
>> condition, swap will always generated regardless editing file or dir?
>
> No. When you next see this situation, please do what Tony asked: Use :ls! to list
> all buffers. It is extremely likely that you have a hidden "no name" buffer,
> possibly left over as part of some startup issue.
>
> John

I share my .vimrc. and .vim(vimfile) both on windows and freebsd, I see
the different behavior(I will refer to vim on freebsd, gvim on windows):

On freebsd:
$ vim
:e ~/.vimrc
:e ~/doc/
:ls!
        1 #h   "~/.vimrc"                     line 19
        2u%a-  "/media/wind/portable/home/doc" line 9

On windows:
gvim
:e ~/.vimrc
:e ~/doc/
:ls!
        1 #h   "/portable/apps/vim/.vimrc"    line 272
        2  h   ""                             line 1
        3u%a-  "[Scratch]"                    line 9

Why?

anhnmncb wrote:
> On windows:
> gvim
> :e ~/.vimrc
> :e ~/doc/
> :ls!
>         1 #h   "/portable/apps/vim/.vimrc"    line 272
>         2  h   ""                             line 1
>         3u%a-  "[Scratch]"                    line 9

Don't know. I guess doc is a directory and you might omit the trailing slash, but
that's not likely to achieve much.

Try ':scriptnames' on both systems and compare what scripts have actually run.

John

On 25/11/08 00:25, anhnmncb wrote:

> Ben Schmidt<[hidden email]>  writes:
>
>> Tony Mechelynck wrote:

>>> Mine is 7.2.049 for Linux (compiled from official sources, official
>>> patches 1-49, and one unofficial patch which is about floating point
>>> functions), Huge version with GTK2/Gnome GUI, Perl, Python, Ruby and TCL
>>> but not MzScheme, etc. etc. etc.
>>>
>>> I suppose that the fact that mine generates .swp, .swo, etc., rather
>>> than _.swp, _.swo, etc. for [No Name] files is due to the fact that I'm
>>> on Linux and you're on Windows.
>>>
>>> Are you sure you aren't currently editing a [No Name] buffer (possibly
>>> as a hidden buffer, if you have 'hidden' set)? The ":ls!" command might
>>> help you. Look for buffers with a (active) or h (hidden) left of their name.
>> You can find out what those swap files are by navigating to that
>> directory in cmd and doing
>>
>> vim -r
>>
>> to get a list (not all that helpful) or
>>
>> vim -r _.swp
>>
>> which will try to 'recover' the specific file, showing you what's in it.
>> If indeed it is a directory listing, something must be different or
>> broken with netrw or Vim on windows. If it's something else, well,
>> you'll find out what it is and can decide for yourself what to do.
>>
>> An alternative to going via cmd is to navigate in Vim to the directory,
>> via :cd and then do
>>
>> :recover _.swp
>
> 1.
>
> :cd ~/doc/
>
> :recover _.swp
>
> Prompt: E306: Cannot open _.swp
>
> 2.
>
> :e ~/doc/
>
> :recover _.swap
>
> Prompt: E95: Buffer with this name already exists.
>
> btw. I have hidden setting, does it mean that in this condition, swap
> will always generated regardless editing file or dir?
>
>> Ben.

It means that if you have an open buffer it will get hidden in
preference to being |abandon|ed. In the case of a [No Name] buffer,
hidden or not, it will get a _.swp (or _.swo _.swn etc.) swapfile.

I use 'autowriteall' but not 'hidden'. This means that (with the
ex-commands I use) a buffer won't become hidden without my say-so.
Instead of |abandon|ing a buffer, Vim will save it to disk (then unload
the buffer and delete its swapfile), and in the case of a 'modified' [No
Name] buffer I'll get a message telling me to use an exclamation mark if
I want to abandon changes.

                OUTCONERR
Twas FORTRAN as the doloop goes
        Did logzerneg the ifthen block
All kludgy were the function flows
        And subroutines adhoc.

Beware the runtime-bug my friend
        squrooneg, the false goto
Beware the infiniteloop
        And shun the inprectoo.

Re: How to disable swapfile when editing a directory?

anhnmncb-2

"John Beckett" <[hidden email]> writes:

> anhnmncb wrote:
>> On windows:
>> gvim
>> :e ~/.vimrc
>> :e ~/doc/
>> :ls!
>>         1 #h   "/portable/apps/vim/.vimrc"    line 272
>>         2  h   ""                             line 1
>>         3u%a-  "[Scratch]"                    line 9
>
> Don't know. I guess doc is a directory and you might omit the trailing slash, but
> that's not likely to achieve much.
>
> Try ':scriptnames' on both systems and compare what scripts have actually run.

I have checked that both the scriptnames are same after I do the same
operators(i.e. gvim | :e ~/.vimrc | :e ~/doc/).

Also note that I have ln -s vimfile .vimrc .gvimrc of windows to .vim
.vimrc .gvimrc of freebsd, so the dir name is different.

--- FreeBSD----
  1: /usr/home/anhnmncb/.vimrc
  2: /media/wind/portable/apps/vim/vimfiles/ywfiles/yw_scripts.vim
  3: /usr/local/share/vim/vim72/syntax/syntax.vim
  4: /usr/local/share/vim/vim72/syntax/synload.vim
  5: /usr/local/share/vim/vim72/syntax/syncolor.vim
  6: /usr/local/share/vim/vim72/filetype.vim
  7: /usr/local/share/vim/vim72/menu.vim
  8: /usr/local/share/vim/vim72/autoload/paste.vim
  9: /usr/local/share/vim/vim72/ftplugin.vim
 10: /usr/local/share/vim/vim72/indent.vim
 11: /media/wind/portable/apps/vim/vimfiles/plugin/calendar.vim
 12: /usr/local/share/vim/vim72/plugin/getscriptPlugin.vim
 13: /usr/local/share/vim/vim72/plugin/gzip.vim
 14: /usr/local/share/vim/vim72/plugin/matchparen.vim
 15: /usr/local/share/vim/vim72/plugin/netrwPlugin.vim
 16: /usr/local/share/vim/vim72/plugin/rrhelper.vim
 17: /usr/local/share/vim/vim72/plugin/spellfile.vim
 18: /usr/local/share/vim/vim72/plugin/tarPlugin.vim
 19: /usr/local/share/vim/vim72/plugin/tohtml.vim
 20: /usr/local/share/vim/vim72/plugin/vimballPlugin.vim
 21: /usr/local/share/vim/vim72/plugin/zipPlugin.vim
 22: /media/wind/portable/apps/vim/vimfiles/after/plugin/netrwFileHandlers.vim
 23: /usr/local/share/vim/vim72/autoload/netrwFileHandlers.vim
 24: /usr/home/anhnmncb/.gvimrc
 25: /usr/local/share/vim/vim72/scripts.vim
 26: /usr/local/share/vim/vim72/syntax/vim.vim
 27: /usr/local/share/vim/vim72/syntax/perl.vim
 28: /usr/local/share/vim/vim72/syntax/python.vim
 29: /usr/local/share/vim/vim72/ftplugin/vim.vim
 30: /usr/local/share/vim/vim72/indent/vim.vim
 31: /usr/local/share/vim/vim72/autoload/netrw.vim
 32: /usr/local/share/vim/vim72/syntax/netrw.vim

---- windows 2000----
  1: D:/portable/apps/vim/.vimrc
  2: D:/portable/apps/vim/vimfiles/ywfiles/yw_scripts.vim
  3: D:/portable/apps/vim/vim72/syntax/syntax.vim
  4: D:/portable/apps/vim/vim72/syntax/synload.vim
  5: D:/portable/apps/vim/vim72/syntax/syncolor.vim
  6: D:/portable/apps/vim/vim72/filetype.vim
  7: D:/portable/apps/vim/vim72/menu.vim
  8: D:/portable/apps/vim/vim72/lang/menu_en_gb.latin1.vim
  9: D:/portable/apps/vim/vim72/lang/menu_en_gb.utf-8.vim
 10: D:/portable/apps/vim/vim72/autoload/paste.vim
 11: D:/portable/apps/vim/vim72/ftplugin.vim
 12: D:/portable/apps/vim/vim72/indent.vim
 13: D:/portable/apps/vim/vimfiles/plugin/calendar.vim
 14: D:/portable/apps/vim/vim72/plugin/getscriptPlugin.vim
 15: D:/portable/apps/vim/vim72/plugin/gzip.vim
 16: D:/portable/apps/vim/vim72/plugin/matchparen.vim
 17: D:/portable/apps/vim/vim72/plugin/netrwPlugin.vim
 18: D:/portable/apps/vim/vim72/plugin/rrhelper.vim
 19: D:/portable/apps/vim/vim72/plugin/spellfile.vim
 20: D:/portable/apps/vim/vim72/plugin/tarPlugin.vim
 21: D:/portable/apps/vim/vim72/plugin/tohtml.vim
 22: D:/portable/apps/vim/vim72/plugin/vimballPlugin.vim
 23: D:/portable/apps/vim/vim72/plugin/zipPlugin.vim
 24: D:/portable/apps/vim/vimfiles/after/plugin/netrwFileHandlers.vim
 25: D:/portable/apps/vim/vim72/autoload/netrwFileHandlers.vim
 26: D:/portable/apps/vim/.gvimrc
 27: D:/portable/apps/vim/vim72/scripts.vim
 28: D:/portable/apps/vim/vim72/syntax/vim.vim
 29: D:/portable/apps/vim/vim72/ftplugin/vim.vim
 30: D:/portable/apps/vim/vim72/indent/vim.vim
 31: D:/portable/apps/vim/vim72/autoload/netrw.vim
 32: D:/portable/apps/vim/vim72/syntax/netrw.vim

> John

  anhnmncb
 gpg key: 44A31344

Re: How to disable swapfile when editing a directory?

anhnmncb-2

Tony Mechelynck <[hidden email]> writes:

> On 25/11/08 00:25, anhnmncb wrote:
>> Ben Schmidt<[hidden email]>  writes:

>>> You can find out what those swap files are by navigating to that
>>> directory in cmd and doing
>>>
>>> vim -r
>>>
>>> to get a list (not all that helpful) or
>>>
>>> vim -r _.swp
>>>
>>> which will try to 'recover' the specific file, showing you what's in it.
>>> If indeed it is a directory listing, something must be different or
>>> broken with netrw or Vim on windows. If it's something else, well,
>>> you'll find out what it is and can decide for yourself what to do.
>>>
>>> An alternative to going via cmd is to navigate in Vim to the directory,
>>> via :cd and then do
>>>
>>> :recover _.swp
>>
>> 1.
>>
>> :cd ~/doc/
>>
>> :recover _.swp
>>
>> Prompt: E306: Cannot open _.swp
>>
>> 2.
>>
>> :e ~/doc/
>>
>> :recover _.swap
>>
>> Prompt: E95: Buffer with this name already exists.
>>
>> btw. I have hidden setting, does it mean that in this condition, swap
>> will always generated regardless editing file or dir?
>>
>>> Ben.
>>>

> It means that if you have an open buffer it will get hidden in
> preference to being |abandon|ed. In the case of a [No Name] buffer,
> hidden or not, it will get a _.swp (or _.swo _.swn etc.) swapfile.
>
> I use 'autowriteall' but not 'hidden'. This means that (with the
> ex-commands I use) a buffer won't become hidden without my say-so.
> Instead of |abandon|ing a buffer, Vim will save it to disk (then unload
> the buffer and delete its swapfile), and in the case of a 'modified' [No
> Name] buffer I'll get a message telling me to use an exclamation mark if
> I want to abandon changes.

Both freebsd and windows share the same settings, so I don't think
hidden is relative to my problem.

> Best regards,
> Tony.

  anhnmncb
 gpg key: 44A31344

Re: How to disable swapfile when editing a directory?

anhnmncb-2

"John Beckett" <[hidden email]> writes:

> anhnmncb wrote:
>> On windows:
>> gvim
>> :e ~/.vimrc
>> :e ~/doc/
>> :ls!
>>         1 #h   "/portable/apps/vim/.vimrc"    line 272
>>         2  h   ""                             line 1
>>         3u%a-  "[Scratch]"                    line 9
>
> Don't know. I guess doc is a directory and you might omit the trailing slash, but
> that's not likely to achieve much.

Amm, forgot to say, if I :e ~/doc without trailing slash, then dir will
have a .doc.swp too when on freebsd, so the proper way is not to omit it.

> Try ':scriptnames' on both systems and compare what scripts have actually run.
>
> John

  anhnmncb
 gpg key: 44A31344