How to display line end like in this vim video?

How to display line end like in this vim video?

Peng Yu
Hi,

I see that vim in this video shows the line end with a character like
an inverted "L". Does anybody know how to make vim to do so?

Regards,
Peng

Re: How to display line end like in this vim video?

Peng Yu
> I see that vim in this video shows the line end with a character like
> an inverted "L". Does anybody know how to make vim to do so?

Here is the link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1vC7S385x8&list=PL6991B2F40652C74F&index=2&feature=plpp_video

Re: How to display line end like in this vim video?

Marcin Szamotulski
On 13:48 Fri 17 Feb     , Peng Yu wrote:

> > I see that vim in this video shows the line end with a character like
> > an inverted "L". Does anybody know how to make vim to do so?
>
> Here is the link.
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1vC7S385x8&list=PL6991B2F40652C74F&index=2&feature=plpp_video

Do you mean ¬? What I did to get it:
:digraphs shows all the digraph available (this might depend on the font that you use)
One the right side of each digraph there is a number which is to be used with
i_CTRL-V. This particular has value 172 so to get ¬ just type in  insert mode
^V172 (where ^V is CTRL-V).

Best,
Marcin

Re: How to display line end like in this vim video?

Peng Yu
> Do you mean ¬? What I did to get it:
> :digraphs       shows all the digraph available (this might depend on the font that you use)
> One the right side of each digraph there is a number which is to be used with
> i_CTRL-V. This particular has value 172 so to get ¬ just type in  insert mode
> ^V172 (where ^V is CTRL-V).

I do not mean to type that character. I just need vim to display that
character by default at the line ends. So that I know there lines end
in case so that I know whether there are trailing space characters.

Peng

RE: How to display line end like in this vim video?

JohnBeckett
Peng Yu wrote:
> I do not mean to type that character. I just need vim to
> display that character by default at the line ends.

See the examples in this tip (in particular, 'listchars'):
http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Highlight_unwanted_spaces

John

Re: How to display line end like in this vim video?

Michael Ludwig-3
Peng Yu schrieb am 17.02.2012 um 16:09 (-0600):

> > Do you mean ¬? What I did to get it:
> > :digraphs       shows all the digraph available (this might depend
> > on the font that you use)
> > One the right side of each digraph there is a number which is to be
> > used with i_CTRL-V. This particular has value 172 so to get ¬ just
> > type in  insert mode ^V172 (where ^V is CTRL-V).
>
> I do not mean to type that character. I just need vim to display that
> character by default at the line ends. So that I know there lines end
> in case so that I know whether there are trailing space characters.

That's exactly what this screencast covers:

http://vimcasts.org/episodes/show-invisibles/

Michael

Re: How to display line end like in this vim video?

Peng Yu
> That's exactly what this screencast covers:
>
> http://vimcasts.org/episodes/show-invisibles/

I didn't notice your reply. Thanks for sharing the link.

Peng

Re: How to display line end like in this vim video?

Ike Devolder
Op woensdag 4 juli 2012 15:31:10 schreef Peng Yu:
> > That's exactly what this screencast covers:
> >
> > http://vimcasts.org/episodes/show-invisibles/
>
> I didn't notice your reply. Thanks for sharing the link.

the answer is below the video ?

:set list
:set list! (toggle them on/off)

to change the characters used to show the hidden chars:
:help listchars

--Ike